2nd Trimester
Options

Multiple Baby Showers

I am having three baby showers... One is being hosted by my friends, the other by my husband's family, the other by my family.  I'm having trouble making lists for each because there are people I want to invite to all three, and people I want to invite to two and so on.  Does anyone know where I can go to find the proper protocol for who to invite when? 

Re: Multiple Baby Showers

• Options

You are going to invite the same person to all 3 baby showers?  In my eyes that is gift grabby and a big nono.  ANd if I was that person I would only go to one of the showers, if I ended up going to any.

Why would you want the same person to go to all 3?  If that is the case than don't have 3 and just have 1.

Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • Options

I would stick to MIL and Mom for all 3.  Then break it out exactly as you said.

1)friends

2)your family

3)his family

This is exactly the set up I'm using for my 3 showers.  Unless location dictates someone go to a different shower than the group they fall in, I think it's fairly easy!  Good luck.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemsuk2girl:

1)friends

2)your family

3)his family

This is exactly the set up I'm using for my 3 showers.  Unless location dictates someone go to a different shower than the group they fall in, I think it's fairly easy!  Good luck.

Yup exactly- it's ok to invite mom's and sisters to all three or just the family ones and then go from there. Have fun!! 

imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    JDOJDO member
    We are having two showers (his family and my family) and I would never expect anyone to attend more than one. Our parents will be welcome at both if they like, and our friends will be given both dates to see which works better for them, but I wouldn't want anyone to feel they had to attend both. It would make me feel guilty having people give up more than one day of their time for me. 
  • Options
    imagemsuk2girl:

1)friends

2)your family

3)his family

This.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I couldn't speak to "proper" protocols but what I would suggest is that anyone that you want to invite to more than one you contact directly.  Let that person know that you are inviting them to two showers because you really would love them there but that they should not feel obligated to get you more than one gift, or even obligated to come to more than one.

Also, I would consider the size of the shower.  If each shower is a small, intimate sort of thing that would be different than a big outdoor picnic type thing, so keep that in mind (if you know the details) as I think that food amounts, favors, etc. would not matter so much in a large group setting.

• Options

I think at this point we are looking at between 3 and 4 showers. I've been making the lists right along. For us we have one that is being given by one of my oldest friends so we are doing my 'younger' friends who aren't necessarily 'our' friends. (She is actually his ex-gf but she and I have been best friends since middle school - years before they met and there has never been an issue with us being married.) The second is being given by a family friend of my parents. We are doing the people from our church and my parents' clubs. The third is possibly being done by my sorority sisters and will only be sorority girls. The fourth possibly is being given by our mutual friends and they will be the ones coming. Now for any my daughter is in town for she will be coming to. My mom will be coming to all of them. My sil's will be invited to either the one from the family friends OR the one by our mutual friends.

I think if you cannot spread them out you may need to find a way to combine them.

• Options

imageheckysue:
    To me it's also about being considerate of the guests and the person/people giving the shower.  If you invite them to 3 that's 3 gifts, plus more food, favors etc. for the people throwing your shower.  I kinda think it's bad etiquette to invite people to multiple showers unless it's like, inviting your mom and sister to your huband's side of the family.

Actually, I was only wanting mom and mother in law and maybe sister in laws to all three. 

• Options

To the person who wrote:

You are going to invite the same person to all 3 baby showers?  In my eyes that is gift grabby and a big nono.  ANd if I was that person I would only go to one of the showers, if I ended up going to any.

Why would you want the same person to go to all 3?  If that is the case than don't have 3 and just have 1.

Geesh, you are not very nice.  I am not an idiot - I was referring to mom and mother in law and maybe sister in laws to all three, not everybody!  You need to find a nicer way to give advice. Wink

(Sorry, it wouldn't let me quote for some reason.)

• Options
    I love my  sister in law but if I were invited to 3 showers for her, I would definitely only be going to 1.   That' s a lot to ask of anyone, IMO.
  • Options
    imageSailorMommy:

To the person who wrote:

Geesh, you are not very nice.  I am not an idiot - I was referring to mom and mother in law and maybe sister in laws to all three, not everybody!  You need to find a nicer way to give advice. Wink

(Sorry, it wouldn't let me quote for some reason.)

That would be me, and yes I am a b!tch.  

Well maybe you should have explained that a little better.  ANd still what I wrote I go by.  I had 2 showers with DS2 and only invited my mom and MIL to one.   And as far as SIL I would still only go to 1!!!!!!  How is that for nice for you?!?!?

Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • Options
    toyah81toyah81 member
    imagemsuk2girl:

1)friends

2)your family

3)his family

This. I did the same thing for the 3 showers I had with DD. Also it's not like if anyone else just wanted to go to the 2 out of the 3 (or 3 out of the 3!) they couldn't - they wouldn't have to get a gift but one time!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Ditto PP's who said break it up into the categories and stick with it.

However, I would personally contact the people who you could see going to more than one, and let them know, "Hey, I am having a "friends" shower in X city on Y date, and a shower with our family in XX city on YY date.  Which one would you rather go to?  You are actually welcome at both!"

I did this when I got married (1st time around) with my bridal shower because my friends at school were hosting one, my sis was hosting another (and unbeknownst to me my ex MIL hosted a surprise one a week before I got married.  Ugh.)  Anyway, my bridesmaids weren't throwing any of them (my sis was MIL, but I mean my bridesmaid friends.)  They opted to drive a longer distance but go to the one my college friends were throwing because they thought it would be more fun than the one my sister was throwing for local friends and family (they were wrong, but whatever.)  I didn't expect them at both, but since they could come to either, they came to the one they preferred based on the date, time, location, and who was hosting it. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    K.a.T.eK.a.T.e member

except for future grandmothers, invite guests to 1 shower only.

the protocol is pretty straightforward -- friends to the friends shower, dh family to that shower, and your family at your shower.  What part is hard to you? 

• Options
    This is why I told everyone who I knew would want to throw me a shower very early on I only wanted one shower with everyone. Lucky for me it worked and I'm only having one. I know some people will say I was wrong for making such a request, but in my case it was best for ALL to do it this way.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickersimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"