Multiples
Options

Does getting pg 1st cycle off of bcp increase chance of twins?

Hi Ladies, Happy Belated Mother's Day to all! I am currently 22 weeks with twins and went to my most recent dr. appt today and this was the first time I have seen my reg OBGYN since finding out we were having twins. He seemed just as surprised as we were. I got pregnant my very first cycle after going off of bcp, and my Dr. kept stressing that although twins can happen to anybody he feels strongly you are at an increased chance to have twins your first cycle off of the pill. I never knew that-did anyone else have a similar experience (got pg with twins 1st cycle off of bcp?) If this were true I would feel a lot better about having a 3rd in a few years bc hoopefully it would not mean a 3rd and a 4th lol!

Re: Does getting pg 1st cycle off of bcp increase chance of twins?

• Options
    Congrats on your babies!  I've never heard of this.  Interesting theory.  But if that were true, the same would go for women who get pregnant the very first cycle after pregnancy (since OCPs simulate pregnancy).  Since those women are not at higher risk of twins, I would doubt that coming off OCPs is either.  I'm interested to see what others say.
    Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Options

There are some MoMs here who got pregnant 1st cycle off BCP.   I got pregnant with our identical twins while breastfeeding, which new research says puts your chance of having twins at 12% (with identicals especially likely).  Lots of changes in your body when coming off BCP and when bf'ing!

Congrats! : )

~Crystal~ SAHM to Sam (5), Hugh (3), Mary & Grace (22 months) : )
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I could swear there was a post about something like this a while back - I want to say I remember the word "superovulation" from it so maybe google that and see what you find.
  • Options
    I have heard that you are often most fertile just off the pill.  I got pg with DD first cycle off the pill and there was only one baby.  This time around we got pg on the 3rd cycle off the pill (prevented for one, then actively tried for 2) so I guess it doesn't hold true for me.
  • Options
    I've heard this as well but haven't done much looking into it as it's not how I had fraternal twins or ID twins...which we had both of making triplets.
    Love: 8/2000 | Marriage: 7/2005 | Baby makes three: 3/28/2007 | And one more makes...SIX?
    Steal my kids picture or pretend they are yours, I will find where you live and ship all of their dirty diapers to your doorstep. Promise. image
  • Options
    I have heard of this. I got pg with twins on my 2nd cycle.
  • Options
    I got pregnant with our twins the 3rd cycle after coming off the pill
  • Options
    We got pregnant our first cycle off. I believe it is called hyperovulation. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You know, now that you mention it, we got pregnant during my first cycle off the pill and we're having twins.   But I didn't think anything of it because we have a lot of fraternal twins in my family.  Who knows?!
  • Options

This is exactly what happened to me.  I got pregnant my first cycle off the pill with my first too (a singleton), so I timed everything exactly the same and ended up with twins.  The first question they asked me at my appt was is it was my first cycle off the BCP and they said it's more common. I had no idea either. 

Edit:  I also remember my first OB saying that for patients having trouble conceiving, he puts them ON the BCP for a bit because you're most fertile the first 3 months off the pill.  But, he never mentioned multiples. 

• Options
    Yes, there is believe to be a higher risk, I don't think it makes your chances super high though.  I got pg with DS1 my first cycle off, there are MANY singletons born that were conceived 1st cycle off of BCP. 
  • Options
    dec13thdec13th member

imagejalaiaa:
    We got pregnant our first cycle off. I believe it is called hyperovulation. 

This is what I have heard and it was true for my cousin.  she now has 9 mo old twins.

• Options

Dr. Luke's book has like 2 sentences that explain this - and she says yes, you are more likely to release multiple eggs in your first 30 days off birth control. No one told me that, and I actually thought it'd take us forever to get pregnant, since I've been on the pill since a teenager (I'm now in my 30s). So, we actually took advantage of the first 30 days, if you know what I mean, and ended up with twins!! 

Twins also run in my mom's family, again, little did I know....  

• Options
    I got pg while on bcp. Twins don't run in my family and my peri says they're fraternal. I was diagnosed with PCOS last fall, so you can imagine my surprise when I found out I was indeed pg and with twins, while on bcp! I was told I would likely need assistance getting pg when I got the PCOS diagnosis. I guess we're just blessed :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"