Multiples
Options

Belly gets hard and stays that way

I'm so frustrated right now. I went in a couple days ago and they said I have irritable uterus and prescribed me Motrin. I've been taking it but my belly feels like it's just so hard and stays that way, especially when I stand up. Is this normal or is it a 24 hour a day contraction? When I lay down and push it feels kinda squishy but when I stand up it feels like a basketball in there. I just wish I knew what was normal or not. I'm about to call doctor yet again but since I can't time how long it gets/stays hard I never know what to say. I was in tears last night because I just want to make sure I am doing everything to make sure these babies are safe but just don't know what's normal feelings and what's not. Any of you feel like your belly gets hard and just stays hard? thank you

Re: Belly gets hard and stays that way

• Options
    Hey buddy.  That's exactly what mine does.  I notice when I move - especially when I get out of bed it brings on the contraction.  It will stay that way for 30 min or more.  I also notice it more when it's time to take my next dose of medicine.  Call your doctor if you have questions.  They might change your medicine.  I know how frustrating it is.  Last night I woke up at 4 AM and just laid there hoping the contraction would go away.  Hang in there. 
    Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Options
    thanks for the reply. I think I was up at 4a too wondering what the heck is going on and if it's normal. For me it's hard more than it's not so I don't even know what to think. I just left a message for the doc. I feel like such a dummy calling all the time but I keep telling myself people call all the time - or at least I hope I'm not the only one!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would talk to your doctor.  What I thought was just long BH contractions, was actually a series of short ones.  When my peri sent me to L&D, it turned out I was having BH contractions every 3 minutes and just not realizing it.

The good news is that BH contractions in and of themselves are nothing to worry about.  It's only when they are accompanied by other PTL signs that you really need to be worried about them.  So you do want to make sure that your doc checks you out for other signs of PTL.

I ended up on modified bedrest at 27 weeks and my babies stayed comfy and cozy until nearly full term at 36w5d. 

Best of luck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had a lot of those and talked to my doctor about them. Found out that I had a UTI and that can cause contractions. 
  • Options

I've had the same thing & was worried about it as well.  I brought it up at my last doctor's appointment and was told to watch my activity level & hydration when this happens to me. 

My doctor also told me that it may also be caused by my ab muscles tightning & contracting as well but I felt like this was more related to my uterus.

• Options

I read your post earlier today in the waiting room waiting for our growth scan for the month... passed my phone over to DH and said "holy crap I could've written this myself"

I called my doctor earlier in the week about the same thing... seems to be more noticable in the evening when I'm exhausted, but still belly feels hard and stays hard most of the time... ESPECIALLY when I'm standing/walking/moving (I can't time it either).  The response from the OB was... if I can't time it (to every 10-15 minutes), I'm not bleeding or leaking... I shouldn't be too concerned, but to call if that changes at any time... (saying that the uterus was going to be more sensitive with 2 babies in there).  Also was reminded to rest and hydrate as much as possible.

I still can't say it's gotten better, but having the ultrasound today gave a lot of peace of mind... cervix is CLOSED and 3.7 cm.  Babies are growing appropriately and moving around a lot.  Fluid levels looked good.

This is my first pregnancy so I don't know how the "bump"/belly should feel because I have nothing to compare to... but just hope my experience could help you.  Sorry so long - let us know if anything changes

• Options

I would bring it up to your doctor again and make sure you get lots of rest.  This happened to me and I put myself on bedrest in the hospital for irritable uterus.  They need to make sure you're not shortening at all.  I don't want to scare you, but want you to be able to avoid going thru what I did.

If you gut tells you something is not right, call your doc.  Better to be safe :)  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"