Birth Stories
Options

XP: Austin's Birth Story & PsIP (long)

I don't post much, but always loved the birth stories, so here's mine...

I was scheduled to go to the hospital the night of Wednesday the 14th to be induced the morning of the 15th.  So on Tuesday, DH and I were finishing up some things around the house and planning for the next night.  When he got off work, we went to the park and walked for a little bit, then had to drop off some things at some friends' house.  On our way there, around 8:30, a nurse from Labor & Delivery called to confirm that I would come in at 6:30 the next night.  When I got off the phone with her, I joked to DH that I should have told her that I would possibly see her tonight cause of the cramps I was starting to get.  We got home around 9:00 and the "cramps" were different than I had felt before and I soon realized that these were the finally real contractions, in all their glory! They were lasting about 45 seconds-1 minute and were about 3-5 minutes apart.  So, we ate dinner, packed our last-minute things, straightened up the house and headed to L&D around 11:30 pm.  

When we arrived, they hooked me up to the monitors and checked me to find out that I was only at a 1.5 cm, but after an hour, went to a 3.  So, they had me walk the halls for an hour to see if I would progress more.  I remember looking at the clock and that meant we would be walking until 3:45 am.  We were so tired and an hour seemed so far away especially with the pain I was in.  So, at 4, the nurse checked me again and I was still only at a 3, but my urine sample had found a high white blood cell count that meant there was possibly an infection.  After sending 4 pages to the on-call doctor with no response, the nurse finally decided that she would just admit me and give me pitocin if need be rather than send me home with contractions and a possible infection only to come back in about 12 hours for the induction.  Finally, I could get my own room!!

So, we got to our room around 6:00 a.m. Wednesday morning and made phone calls to our family to let them know that today was the day and to be on alert.  At 7:00 I got my epidural which was HEAVEN!!  I really had no idea how wonderful this simple little dose of anesthesia would be.  I loved it and it didn't hurt a single bit!  All that worry for nothing...  My doctor also broke my water after I got the epidural (such a weird feeling!).  I was also checked to be a 4 at this point.

After sleeping for an hour, (thank you epi!) they checked me again and I was at a 9!  The nurse said that we were getting close and started getting the room prepared.  DH and I were stunned.  We could not believe that we were going to have our baby this quickly, or so we thought.  The then came in to tell us that the baby was face up and that they wanted me to lay on my stomach for a while to see if he would turn on his own, so two and a half hours later, they checked to find that sure enough, he had turned around, but now he was aimed to come out ear first, which would not work.  So, at 2:00, I started pushing while the doctor tried turning his little head with each contraction.  I had so much energy knowing that we were getting close to seeing the little man.  Well, he finally fixed his head, but was still pretty high, so after about 2 hours, my doctor told me that she would need to start talking about other options once I had been pushing for 3 hours and that she recomended turning off the epidural to let me feel better how ad where to push.  I was so scared to turn it off, but it helped a ton!  So, 3 hours into pushing, my doctor told me that normally we would start talking other options at this point, but he was getting so close and we were both doing fine, so she let me keep going.  He finally was crowning and 40 minutes later, sweet little Austin Reay was born at 6:01 pm.  He weighed 7 pounds, 3 ounces, measured 20 inches in length and was sporting quite an impressive cone-head.

We are so in love with the little guy and could never have imagined the way he would capture our hearts!   We are still trying to get the hang of having a little one in the house, but loving every minute of it!

Re: XP: Austin's Birth Story & PsIP (long)

• Options
    Congratulations. What a beautiful little boy!

<3 Bumpie Veteran from December 2010 Mama's <3 -
    BFP - TTC Cycle #6: Clomid + HCG Trigger + TI + Progesterone - EDD: 12/11
    Beta #1: 4/1 - 51.5   Beta #2: 4/3 - 189   Beta #3: 4/6 - 778.9
    AMH: 1.06  FSH: 10.7
    DS: 11/2010 Clomid + HCG Trigger + IUI + Progesterone
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing! Cute baby! Congrats Mom & Dad
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MomE2BeMomE2Be member
    Congrats! Very cute little guy!
This discussion has been closed.