Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Does your LO prefer grandpa over grandma?

I don't know why, but DS could care or less for either of his grandmas, but whenever my dad or FIL are around, he doesn't leave them alone for a second, to the point of crying when they leave. I don't know why, and my mom and MIL I think are a little jealous, but it's the cutest thing in the world :)

Does your LO have a preference for a grandparent?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Does your LO prefer grandpa over grandma?

• With my parents, who watch DD during the day, her preference varies. Sometimes it's grandpa, sometimes it's grandma.

Grandpa tends to spoil her more, so overall it's probably him.

But with DH's parents, I think she has a clear preference for my FIL. But then again, I prefer FIL too, so.... Smile
  • iteachkiteachk member
    She likes my mom over my dad, but prefers FIL over MIL.  Probably b/c they are the two who really get down on the floor and play with her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • aforstaforst member
    YES!  My DS and my dad "papaw" are BFF.  Whenever Vincent sees my cell phone, he says "call papaw!" He loves my mom, but much prefers my dad (which sucks b/c they just got divorced and "hate" each other). 
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • haha!! yes! 

He also prefers my brother to my sister.  I guess he just likes men.

• DS loves both my parents, but prefers Grandma over Grandpa. He sees my mom all the time since my mom and I are both home during the day and get together a lot.

DS has only met FIL once(we don't speak to him really), and he doesn't see MIL very often. Last time DH took him over there, he refused to go to her!

• jnksmomjnksmom member

DS and DD both prefer my mom over my dad but I think it is because she is silly with them and gets down in the floor and plays with them all the time. She also kept DS every day for the 1st year of his life. My dad is just more serious and although he does play with them it is not the same. However, DD has my dad wrapped and she knows it and uses it already. :)

However, they both prefer FIL over MIL. They are divorced so they see them separately but they get more excited to see Papa than they do to see Granna. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Wally3Wally3 member
    DS follows Grandad, my FIL, all over the place crying when he leaves the room. They are visiting for 2 weeks.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Shell24Shell24 member

My DD favors my FIL over my MIL, but my mom is the be all end all  :)

I think it has more to do with who does what with her than just gender.  My FIL is super cute with all his grandkids, but I feel like there's a special spot for my DD, and I think part of that is because she just loves him so much and goes to him all the time. 

• DS#1 prefers my mom and DH's father.  DS#2 doesn't really care at this point.

I think it is because with my dad he has always had to compete with my nephew for grandpa's attention.  My parents have decided to start visiting without my nephew every other visit to hopefully help this. 

With my MIL it is because she isn't a "baby" person and both DS's seem to know this so they prefer my FIL who bends over backwards for them.  It does seem to be getting a little better now that DS#1 is getting older and MIL is interacting with him more.

• My DD doesn't seem to prefer one over the other.  But we have this pic of my mom and dad from our wedding, and DD always walks up to the picture, getting all excited, and says "Paw, paw, paw."  It cracks me up cuz if you ask her where grandma is, she doesn't even go to the picture, lol. 
    imageimageimage
  • Yep, DS is granddad's boy. He hearts my mom too but granddad wins every time and it hurts her feelings :( I live 30 mins from my parents but my dad works near me so he stops by 4 or 5 times a week so I can run an errand, workout or just get a nice shower. Also, my mom is very much type A, can't stop kind of a person. Her house has to be pristine so she is great with my DS and plays with him but she will try to multitask  sometimes and he doesn't dig that. My dad gives 150% attention and play so he's the fave.
  • Yes, he definitely prefers my dad over my mom. Poor Nana, she tries so hard! But he follows Gramps around like a little shadow.

• Oh, and I want to add that my mom is WAY more "baby-smart" than my dad. She always gets down on the floor with him, is attuned to his needs, etc. But DS doesn't give a crap, he he. Another odd fact...Gramps is the only person that can change DS's diaper without DS fussing...he must have some odd power over him. Big Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"