Parenting

Anyone volunteered at big brother/big sister?

I am looking into volunteer opprotunities.  This looks like it would be a great fit but DH and I are worried it could get expensive.  Their website says it does not have to be and you can just "play a board game or take a hike."  I just don't want to be the "uncool" big sister lol.  Do you know if you are allowed to have your little sister over to your house or does it have to be at a neutral location?  Thanks a lot!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone volunteered at big brother/big sister?

• coktcokt member
    MH and I are very interested in doing this but we have already been denied twice-boo! Our area only needs 100% billingual people right now. Anyway, I grew up with someone who had a Big Brother and they always just hung out. Sometimes they would do something special, but I think the better relationships develop when you are just doing everyday things-you know?They are still close and have been partnered for over 20 years! My friend was the Best Man in his Big Brother's wedding and is his kid's God Father now. One of my friend's DH's is a Big Brother and has been for about 6 years. She said that their relationship got much better once he stopped taking him on a big field trip everytime they saw each other. Now he just comes over to their house for dinner and to hang out. Anyway, go for it if you are willing to do a long term commitment, I think it is a great organization!
  • My BIL and SIL have a little brother through BB/BS.  They have him at least once a week and take him everywhere.  They've even taken him to MN to visit my SIL's family.  (With his parent's permission, of course ;) ).  They often have him at their house.  They really enjoy it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"