Success after IF

IVF ladies help me become sane again!!

Are you paranoid of childhood cancers in your IVF LO? 

Everytime I read of a baby who's been diagnosed with cancer I immediately google the cancer and IVF.  I just now found some study showing a definite correlation b/w Atypical teratoid rhabdoid tumor and IVF infants.  I'm freaked out!!  I calmed myself down a few months ago from my leukemia fears.  (I know two other IVF kids and they both have leukemia!)

I get so worked up that I start to fear that my constant worry is going to cause it.  I need help!  It's not everyday that I go through this...just when I hear of a childhood issue.   I don't want to share w/ my irl mommy friends b/c I don't want them to look at ds different or expecting something to happen. 

I know I can't keep going on fearing I'm going to lose my son everytime I hear a horrible story about a dying baby.  Does anyone else have these irrational fears?

Re: IVF ladies help me become sane again!!

• Hi! I do not have IVF babies, but IUI ones. I sometimes wonder what the long term affects may be on babies conceived through ART.

I wonder however if you are having some anxiety. I have it, and hesitate to tell someone a fear is irrational. If it concerns you, it is real  to you. 

The fear of losing your child is probably a fear that all moms have in a corner of their brains. Yours may be a little exacerbated because of what you had to go through to conceive.  If you think that this fear/concern in consuming more of your time/life than it should, you can talk to your Dr. PPA/PPD can mainfest itself in fears for the wellbeing of your child.

• I was once asked (by my therapist) "If something bad is going to happen, will worrying myself sick over it make it not happen?"  ..  "They why upset yourself.  If it happens, you'll deal with it then." 

I tend to worry about my girls constantly and I always will but I try to keep myself from going crazy by repeating those sentences.

twin girls after 43 months of TTC.. Katherine Emily (5 lbs 12 oz 19 1/4 in) and Karly Elizabeth (5lbs 7 oz 19 in) imageLilypie!!My bio!! !!My Blog!! imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Like Tina, I try not to worry about things I can't change. Spending time worrying about it is only going to make me miserable when I could be enjoying my time with DS. The thought of losing him is terrifying but try to put those fears in the back of your mind and STAY AWAY FROM GOOGLE! It is not good for your piece of mind.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • epphdepphd member

The risk of AT/RT according to Dr. Wikipedia is 3/1,000,000.  Even if IVF doubles that risk (which would be a HUGE increase) the risk would still be 6/1,000,000 - or 1/166,000.  There is a much greater risk of just about anything else in the world!  There are a lot of things we can worry about, but why?

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • IMO, and I am no scientist, but IVF is used more today then it has been in the past. Cancer is on the rise as well. Add the two and you are bound to get some type of connection to IVF. But I think it is just coincidence more then fact. 

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • I agree with all the pp. I am sorry you are having this anxiety! But worrying constantly will not prevent something from happening. Can you speak to your RE about this?
  • Thanks for the responses.  I'm a bit OK now. I need to stop googling and looking for issues.  Like you all said I can't change my destiny so I just need to enjoy to trip and not stress. 

Thanks again.  xx

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"