Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Turner's Syndrome

I've been away for awhile, mainly because I was so sad and reading about everyone else's sad news was getting really hard and would make me cry almost daily. But, I just wanted to share some news with you ladies. We decided to have the baby tested even though it was only our first loss. I thought that if they find something it will help us next time and if they don't maybe I could feel better about it being something that just happens sometimes. Well, they found something. The baby had a chromosome disorder called Turner's Syndrome. The syndrome only affects little girls and basically my very little girl was missing part of her second X chromosome. If she had developed further and been born, she would have more than likely died. If she lived she would have had a series of problems including heart problems, deformations, growth problems (they only grow to be about 4 feet tall) and she would have never been able to have babies of her own. 

Part of me is glad I know, but part of me feels like I just lost her again. I am also devastated finding out she was suppose to be a little girl. I didn't expect to find out the sex of the baby. I really expected to find out nothing.  

According to Wikipedia, pproximately 98 percent of all fetuses with Turner syndrome result in miscarriage. Turner syndrome accounts for about 10 percent of the total number of spontaneous abortions in the United States. The incidence of Turner syndrome in live female births is believed to be 1 in 2500. 

There aren't any causes linked with the condition, environmental or genetic, and it appears to be random. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Turner's Syndrome

• Glad you got some answers.
  • Thank you. People keep telling me this is the reason it happened, but I would have loved her with all my heart no matter what. I'm trying to find comfort in it, but mostly it just makes me sad to have lost her. In my head, I've named her Lucy. It was not on my lis, but the day before my D&C I decided I that's what I would call the baby (boy or girl). The name now fits her. 

• Loading the player...
  • I am glad you got some answers. I know its bitter sweet. I hope that it is a step toward healing from your loss.
  • I'm so glad you got some answers.  It hurts to have to go through the pain all over again, but now you know this is unlikely to happen again. (((Hugs)))
  • I'm glad you got some answers.
    My Blog
    We love and miss you Jillian (18w) and Peanut (6w). Welcome to our TAC miracle Jacob!
  • I'm glad you got some answers and I hope it brings you some comfort to know that is was most likely something random.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"