Working Moms

Questions if you have traveled to HK/Asia for work..

Hi, I'm coming out of lurkville in hopes of getting some advice from moms who have traveled to Hong Kong for work. I am excited for this opportunity but am quite nervous to leave DD, who will be 16 months, for this long. I'm not a fan of the unknown and plan obessively so I need to know what I am in for in regards to this trip. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. Here are a few things I am wondering about...

1. I've heard that it is "easy" to get from the airport to the train and from the train to the hotels in the Kowloon area. True?

2. Do you regard it as safe? I may be arriving around midnight and will be alone.

3. Any ideas on the attitudes towards breastfeeding? I will have to pump 4-5 times a day during the trip and imagine most of that will be when i should be sleeping. I plan on bringing a manual pump for some relief during my day time meetings. I'm just not sure how discreetly this should be done...Can i use my electric pump on the plane?

4. My office is extremely casual in terms of dress. ie. jeans/Tshirts everday, Will I be expected to dress nicer when meeting with our vendors?

5. I'll be gone for 5 days please tell me my DD will be o.k, will not feel abandoned by her mama, and eveything should be pretty normal when I return.

Thanks so much!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Questions if you have traveled to HK/Asia for work..

• I haven't been for business, but yes, it is extremely easy to get on the train to Kowloon.  You'll need a taxi to your hotel from the train so you should be pretty safe.  At that hour you may want to consider simply taking a car from the airport to your hotel, but I'm not sure what that would cost.  Where are you staying BTW?  I've stayed at both Intercontinentals in Kowloon, as well as the Holiday Inn on Nathan Road.  

I never walked around alone, and generally wouldn't except in the middle of the day, but I remember the streets being fairly busy in the evenings.  And as for dress, I would definitely think more dressy from what I saw.  When are you going?  The humidity in the summer is UNREAL.  You have never experienced anything like it I can guarantee it, so keep that in mind with regards to what you wear...

Good luck with everything! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have travelled to HK several times for work. And Asia in general.

1. very easy. I could do it in my sleep.

2. I would consider it safe- however I wouldn't travel in my own state/city at midnight alone. Call your hotel before you leave and see if there is anyway you can get a shuttle.

3. I have used my electric pump on the plane several times- never had a problem. did it right in my seat (but I was an EP'er and was really comfortable with pumping)- wear easy clothing, drink even more liquids that you normally do-  i am not really aware of the attitude towards BFing in Asia- although- now you mentioned it i am curious.

4. Personally- i would be prepared to have nicer clothing. Asia tends to run more formal in most industries- so if you have outfits that you can easily play up and down- i would go with that. I always sigh on the side of more formal than not. I have never worn jeans in Asia-

5. She will be fine- :) Enjoy your trip- it is a rare experience and take it all in and try to enjoy it. HK is a very cool place. You can definitely find a special souvenir for your DD. You will miss her tons- but she will not feel abandoned as i am sure she will be well taken care of-

Cheers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both so much for your replies. I appreciate the tips and encouragement. I also think the idea of finding something special for DD to bring back will help me stay positive about the trip.

I am so thankful that she will be in the capable hands of my DH who is a part time SAHD. I hope we do not have any BFing difficulties when I return but worrying about that now is a waste of energy.

My trip is at the end of this month. I don't post often but I will report back afterwards and hopefully be able to lend my own advice to other moms in similar siuations.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"