Military Families
Options

If you PCSed during a pregnancy...

...how did you keep on track with your OB appointments/care? We are moving from CA to VA and will be going MTF to civilian doctors.

Re: If you PCSed during a pregnancy...

• Options

This is not related to your post, but I was wondering if you read Kimchi Mamas blog. 

If not, you should check it out!  

https://kimchimamas.typepad.com/

• Options
    I called about a month before the move, made an appointment w/ an OB who took TRICARE. With the move, I switched to Standard since it was easier for me. I had my records forwarded to my new OB.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are in the process of moving right now. I was able to get the number for the doctor's office where we are going next so I can call and make an appointment. Before you move take your husbands orders to an appointment so they can make copies of everything for you. Then take his orders down to records office so they can be released to you to take with you.
  • Options
    On a side note, as a precaution I hand carry ALL my medical records and keep copies for myself. 
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options

FWIW, when we PCS'ed in June 2008 and in January 2009, we were not allowed to hand carry our medical records.  We were told by the records offices at Fort Irwin and at Fort Lee that regulations did not allow us to do so.  I could get copies of my records (given proper notice), but they would not release my medical records to me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageshellyxo:

This is not related to your post, but I was wondering if you read Kimchi Mamas blog. 

I actually used to read it! I haven't been reading blogs for quite a while now...my boys have kept me so busy. How did you come across it?

• Options
    image2xSurvivor:
    imageshellyxo:

I actually used to read it! I haven't been reading blogs for quite a while now...my boys have kept me so busy. How did you come across it?

I am part Korean and like to read the stories about multiracial families. 

I want to adopt a Korean baby one day but it looks like my chance will be gone by the time I reach the age I can. Korea is trying to stop international adoptions right now so they can encourage more in-country adoptions.  

So I am thinking maybe in the future I will just adopt locally. 

• Options
    I kinda sorta moved twice during my pregnancy. K was supposed to deploy when I was around 28 weeks and we made plans for me to move home to get help with the baby- which I don't really recommend, but that's a different issue.Anyway, before I left I got copies of all of my records from the hospital and then I moved everything home around 25 weeks, switched to Standard since Prime isn't accepted in my area, and called and made an appointment with a new OB for 30 weeks. Then I went back to the base to send my husband off. While we were there, his CO told us they were going to let him stay behind for the birth, and then he would deploy right after.So... I moved everything back to our base, called the base hospital, was told they no longer had room for me, was referred to a civilian hospital and couldn't get an appointment until I was 35 weeks. I brought them my records, but they retested me for everything anyway to make sure everything was still okay with the baby (extra u/s covered by TriCare because doctor required it!) and everything was smooth from there on out.I freaked about going so long without an appointment (24-35 weeks) but everything was fine. Just make sure you have a copy of your records on hand to make things easier.Sorry that was so long! 
  • Options
    imageshellyxo:
    image2xSurvivor:
    imageshellyxo:

I want to adopt a Korean baby one day but it looks like my chance will be gone by the time I reach the age I can. Korea is trying to stop international adoptions right now so they can encourage more in-country adoptions.  

Wow! Well  I hope if the opportunity is still there, then you are able to do it. Adoption was such a great experience, and the travel was awesome! I really want to go back when we can enjoy it as a family and do a lot more exploring.

We brought our oldest home about a year before a lot of the big changes were made to encourage domestic adoption in Korea. Really changed the wait time for families here, but it has been so nice to see the children staying in their country of birth. I have read several articles recently where single moms are more encouraged to parent their children than in the past. It's nice to see Korea taking those steps, I know that my children ARE missing out on a piece of their personal history that I can never give them. All part of adoption though.

• Options
    Thanks for the help and suggestions, ladies! It's time for me to start researching OBs in VA now...hoping I can find a good one!
  • Options
    image2xSurvivor:
    imageshellyxo:
    image2xSurvivor:
    imageshellyxo:

Wow! Well  I hope if the opportunity is still there, then you are able to do it. Adoption was such a great experience, and the travel was awesome! I really want to go back when we can enjoy it as a family and do a lot more exploring.

We brought our oldest home about a year before a lot of the big changes were made to encourage domestic adoption in Korea. Really changed the wait time for families here, but it has been so nice to see the children staying in their country of birth. I have read several articles recently where single moms are more encouraged to parent their children than in the past. It's nice to see Korea taking those steps, I know that my children ARE missing out on a piece of their personal history that I can never give them. All part of adoption though.

Yes, I agree with you. It is better that Korea is being more open to single mothers. Hopefully this will continue and more women don't have to feel ashamed to be alone with child.  

I grew up/friends with a lot of Korean Adoptees. Some of them went to colleges in Korea or have traveled there. Some even learn how to speak Korean. But overall, I don't think they are missing out that much. Sure, they are not growing up native-Korean but they are still growing up Korean-American. 

I am only 1/4 Korean so I get a lot of "what are you". A lot of times people think I am mexican or hispanic... XD 

• Options
    I was around 11wk when I PCS'd.  I called the new MTF to see what I needed to do and got as much done at the "old" MTF that I could.  I did have to go through the stupid paperwork appt (the 6-8wk appt) when I got to the new MTF which annoyed me because they didn't tell me I would have to do that AND I had brought copies of everything...but they still made me sit through it and fill out all the paperwork again.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I was 23 weeks with twins when I moved (BY MYSELF!!) from NC to LA. My OB at the naval hospital told me to pick an OB in my area and he wrote me a referral for like 3 visits or something?  Not gonna lie, as soon as I got down here it was a scramble to get things straight. There is no hospital or OB on base here, so I had to go to a tricare office, get a PCM and go to that PCM and get a referral to keep seeing my new OB. It was a headache and a lot of phone calls but if you can get a temporary referral I would go with that. It will give you some cushion room for when you get there. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"