December 2010 Moms

This is an x post from Blended Families

But any and all opinions would be wonderful!

DH and I do not have a working relationship with my stepchildren's mother. It's a horrible situation. We do our best to ignore their mother and only communicate via letters, because whenever she does talk to DH she screams, cries, swears, punches and kicks things in front of the boys. As far as the letters go- they just tell her the dates and times we will be there to pick up the children. DH never tells her about our personal lives and she never writes him.

Now with a baby on the way I'm wondering if DH tells her we're expecting, or if we just let the boys bring it up once they return home to her at the end of the summer. Everything we're reading says that DH should be the one to tell her but he disagrees. What do you think is best for the boys?

Re: This is an x post from Blended Families

• How old are the boys?  When do you plan on telling them?  Sounds like they'll be with you all summer then?  Do you have joint custody?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelilmgirl:
    How old are the boys?  When do you plan on telling them?  Sounds like they'll be with you all summer then?  Do you have joint custody?

They are 8 and 10 years old. We'll have them for 6-8 weeks this summer. I'll be 12 weeks the day we go to pick them up for the summer so we plan on telling them then.

• Loading the player...
  • MCH77MCH77 member

IMO your DH should tell his ex.  I feel like by having the kids tell her, it really puts them in the middle.  It may also lead to them answering questions that are not appropriate or that they understand.

I would say pick them up, tell them the news first, celebrate... than call up the ex that night/next day and tell her.  It is not going to be easy nor fun, but it is not fair to the kids be the ones to have to experience her reaction. 

GL!!!

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

• This is just my two cents, but IMO, it's unfair to expect kids that age to be the messenger of such significant news. Years ago, my dad asked my brother to inform the family that he was re-marrying when my brother was just a teen (or maybe pre-teen), and I always thought that was really unfair to dump that duty on him.

But I do think you guys should tell the boys first (before step-mom), so they can react to it their own way before step-mom talks to them. And if written communication is the best way of reaching the step-mom, then your DH might want to tell her that way, after you've spoken to the boys.

GL with your decision! Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I would definately say DH needs to tell and not put the kids in that position. They will either blurt it out and feel horrible when she freaks, or they will try to keep it a secret for fear of her freaking out and then when you have the baby they will be forced to answer to her as to why they kept it a secret. Not cool for the kiddos.

I would also say to tell her after you have left withthe kids. That way she can have a little time to get p!ssy and call friends and complain about how horrible you & DH are without doing it in front of the boys. That way the boys can be spared the brunt of it.

Just my opinion though!

• imageGavsMomAlready+Newbie:

I would definately say DH needs to tell and not put the kids in that position. They will either blurt it out and feel horrible when she freaks, or they will try to keep it a secret for fear of her freaking out and then when you have the baby they will be forced to answer to her as to why they kept it a secret. Not cool for the kiddos

I would also say to tell her after you have left withthe kids. That way she can have a little time to get p!ssy and call friends and complain about how horrible you & DH are without doing it in front of the boys. That way the boys can be spared the brunt of it.

I didn't think of that way. Knowing them they would try to hide it from her for a bit. It isn't fair to them. I think we will do exactly this. Thank you! Now I need to get DH used to the idea that he's going to have to call her. Not fun.

• imageTobioLovesAce:

This is just my two cents, but IMO, it's unfair to expect kids that age to be the messenger of such significant news. Years ago, my dad asked my brother to inform the family that he was re-marrying when my brother was just a teen (or maybe pre-teen), and I always thought that was really unfair to dump that duty on him.

But I do think you guys should tell the boys first (before step-mom), so they can react to it their own way before step-mom talks to them. And if written communication is the best way of reaching the step-mom, then your DH might want to tell her that way, after you've spoken to the boys.

GL with your decision! Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

This is a great idea too! Thank you for all the kind words and help. I feel better about telling her already.

• Thanks everyone. I'm so happy I have this board to come to for all my baby talk! You gave me a lot to think about and honestly I didn't even consider the stress the boys would go through if they told her. I just assumed they'd blurt out "Guess what, we're getting a brother or sister" and that would be the end of it. I think DH needs to tell her, either on the phone a few days after the boys get here, or in a letter. It will be nice that she'll have some time to herself to get used to the idea while the boys are here visiting us.
  • Sorry to have post and run (took the dog for a bike ride), but pp's gave you excellence advice IMO.  Have your H tell his ex after you already have the kids.  GL!
  • imagelilmgirl:
    Sorry to have post and run (took the dog for a bike ride), but pp's gave you excellence advice IMO.  Have your H tell his ex after you already have the kids.  GL!

Thanks lilmgirl! I was waiting to hear back from you. You always say the right thing!

• I ask, if y'all don't share any personal info with her now then why tell her y'all are execting another child?
  • imageBB8785:
    I ask, if y'all don't share any personal info with her now then why tell her y'all are execting another child?

This is actually our first child together. We don't share personal information with her but this is a little different, I think. Her children are going to have a new little brother or sister, so in a way it involves her. I just want to let her know the right way. One way or another she's going to find out.

• imageluckystarz:

I agree with the letter idea. Since she has such a horrible history of reacting when your DH talks to her I would send her a certified letter, the day after the boys come to spend the summer with you. So, like pp's said she will have time to deal with it before they go back to her house.

Sorry you are in this situation. Luckily my DH doesn't have contact with my step-sons mom. She doesn't even see her son and hasn't for 13 years (he's 14).

Thank you lucky! I called DH and he said he doesn't want to talk to her on the phone about it because she's going to upset and want to talk about it for hours. I think a letter will be his best bet.

Your son is very lucky to have you in his life! I can't imagine what his mother is thinking. I can't believe she hasn't seen him in 13 years. You're a good mom!

• imageBB8785:
    I ask, if y'all don't share any personal info with her now then why tell her y'all are execting another child?

The kids are going to know and I'm sure it's going to come up at their Mom's house.  I'd much rather have the Mom find out from her ex than her kids b/c I wouldn't want to put the kids in a tough position.

• Hey, just got back from BMX with the kids and though I'd check on this. I'm glad you're so level headed about it, it seems like you're in the right frame of mind to deal with this. I know it can be stressful dealing with another unwanted person in the relationship.

Just think, once you tell her, you will never have to tell her again!

• i have two ss as well. we plan to tell them first after about 14 weeks and then let their mom know. of course we have a good relationship with her and i even text/call her on occassion. but we want to tell the boys first. i think if she is going to be hateful maybe wait as long as you can before you tell the boys and tlak to them gently about how their mom may react (don't be accusatory or talk badly about mom but just say that it may make her feel angry/sad/bad/mad/whatever and that if mom does get angry it's nothing they did and that they can still be happy about having  a new sibling.) divorce is hard; especially when one parent absolutely can't get past it and its even worse when kids see that kind of stuff. kind of long winded but i think dh should tell her. the boys shouldnt because if she does get upset they should be the first to deal with that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"