Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Told my students...

I'm going back to work on Monday, where i'm a teacher. I'm actually a long term substitute teacher and i have been in for the same teacher since February 22nd. So i'm currently teaching 5th grade until May 18th. I was due May 26th, and i joked about trying my best to make it till the 18th.

Last Wednesday when I went into that appointment, the kids all knew where i was going and why. It was the first day I took off since being in that class... the first time they needed a sub for the sub. And i've been out ever since.

I found out when I went in that the kids were not told anything. I don't know if i liked that or didn't like that. I also didn't know if the kids should be told, but I also knew I couldn't deal with 22 - 10 year olds asking about my baby. Luckily the principal was great and told me to do whatever I needed to do.

DH and I went up to the classroom during lunch, where the substitute was there and I was able talk to her about what she taught. I felt bad, I had no plans ready!!

But once the kids came back from lunch I told them. I used very 5th grade language, and told them that it happens to 1 in 200 women so not to be worried about anyone they know. (A few of their mothers are pregnant) I just had to be that 1.

They asked their 10 year old questions. If I get pregnant again will this happen again? Are you going to use her name for another baby? (they all knew what her name meant to me) And then the one that got me, right before I was leaving.. "Mrs. B? Are you ok?" They can be sweethearts!

But now i know that when I return to work on Monday, I will be ok. It was difficult to see my co-workers when i walked in today, but that'll make Monday easier. I know some of them were shocked to hear that I was coming back at all. I only have 12 more school days with this class before the teacher comes back. But i have to go back, to keep my mind busy.

BFP#1 {Cashew} - 9.19.09 EDD 5.26.10
The day you first lay in my arms, you made my life complete.
Aurora Rose born sleeping at 35w on 4-21-10
BFP#2 {Almond} - 2.1.11 EDD 10.12.11 C/P 2.11.11

Re: Told my students...

• Options
    KMLPKMLP member
    I teach 5th grade, too.  I go back on Monday and I'm hoping to get away with just telling them I had to have an emergency operation.  I'm glad everything went okay with you telling them.  Kids are such sweeties at that age!  Good luck when you go back!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Two angel babies 11/09 and 4/10
  • Options
    I just teared up when I read that they asked if you were okay.  Kids can be so sweet and caring...I love that.  Good luck going back on Monday - it's great that your co-workers will make going back easier.  I'll be thinking of you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How adorable! I admire your courage at telling them like that. I hope that Monday is nice and easy for you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think  that was a great idea for you  to transition back to work.It's sweet that your students were so compassionate.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I completely understand. It was 4 weeks ago today that I found out about Sophia. We had been on Spring Break that week and needless to say, I haven't been back. The School actually had a meeting and announced to students that I had delivered Sophia and her heart had stopped. I am going to try to go back on May 11th. We will see. We go until June 7th, so it would still be about 4 weeks. My 6th graders, actually the whole student body (6-8) have been wonderful. The kids took up a collection and named a star for Sophia. They have sent cards and letters. It has been really sweet. I love them and miss them, I just don't feel strong enough yet.

Good luck to you on Monday. Remember to do what is right for you and not anyone else. Take care. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You are so brave.  Good luck on Monday--- you will be in my T's and P's.
    Miscarriage 10/25/2009 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am a teacher too, so I know how hard this was for you. My counselor actually told my class and sent home a note with the students. I think being a teacher adds a whole new level to my pain. My grief had to be so public. My FMLA was posted in the school board minutes for anyone to see. Good luck going back. It has been a good thing for me and has keep my mind busy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"