Success after IF

Anyone not do rear facing past 1 yr because of weight limits?

The weight limit on our convt car seat is 35 pounds for rear facing.  I am pretty sure it is basically the same for most car seats.

Well, Cora is already 23 pounds at 7 months old, so I am pretty sure she will be 30+ pounds when she is a little over a year.

Colin was basically the same size as Cora, and he was 33 lbs at 1 yr.

This means I would not be able to do extended rear facing, since she would be at the max weight.

Anyone else not do rear facing as long as they wanted becuase your child maxed out for weight or height?

Re: Anyone not do rear facing past 1 yr because of weight limits?

• My neighbors have their younger daughter forward-facing and she's only 18 months. I think they switched her around the 1-year mark because she was just too big to be rear-facing.
  • We turned only because of weight, when she got close to 33/34lb's we turned her.  I would still have her RF now if she wasn't over the limit but I think it is important to use the seat properly.  She might surprise you though, Lucy has always been in the 90th percentile and didn't hit 34lb's until about 22 mos, her growth might slowdown soon

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DS is tall and big too.  I had to stop rear facing for that and a few other reasons.  I would have like to extend it, but he was really squished and I had trouble getting him in and out (and I couldn't be lifting a lot in early pregnancy due to some complications).

I wish we could have gone longer...

• We have the Graco My Ride - it has a 40# rear facing limit. The Sunshine Kids Radian RFs to 45#.  There are options for heavier and taller kids if you want them but if not many people do still turn at either 20# and one year or at the weight limit of the seat.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She might slow down...my DD was pretty high on weight percentiles until she started walking.

DS however will be rear facing until he's 5 at his rate.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My son was 23 lbs at 9 months but his growth slowed down. DS is now 22 months and doesn't yet weigh 30 lbs but he is 36" tall already.

At 12 months he was too tall to continue RF in his Britax Marathon.  So we bought new seats with higher limits.  We got him the First Year's True Fit which goes to 35 lbs RF and has a much taller (like 8 inches taller) shell so he can safely RF until he gets too tall.

• imageefooey:

We turned only because of weight, when she got close to 33/34lb's we turned her.  I would still have her RF now if she wasn't over the limit but I think it is important to use the seat properly.  She might surprise you though, Lucy has always been in the 90th percentile and didn't hit 34lb's until about 22 mos, her growth might slowdown soon

This... Ethan is a tiny one, he is just now 26 lbs or so, at almost 2, but my friends son was always in the 80th%, and he slowed down at around 10 months, once he was walking and didnt hit 35 lbs until he was over 2

2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My DS was 22 lbs. at 6 months and was only a little over 26 lbs. at 12 months.  He's still rear-facing.  Once she starts crawling, pulling up, etc. her weight gain should slow considerably.  That said, I wish I realized about the Radian and others before I bought my Britax Advocates.  I didn't realize there were seats that could go RF longer.  I'm sure I'll have to turn them before I want to because of weight.  :(
  • kegkeg member
    I wouldn't worry too much about it yet.  My DDs are pretty much the same weight as they were at their 9 month appointments.   
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"