Working Moms
Options

"Good baby" + daycare = not very much attention?

My DS is a great baby. Smiley, very rarely fussy, sleeps VERY well.

Everytime DH or I go to the daycare to pick him up all the other babies are fussy (just normal baby fussiness... nothing due to the provider's negligence). I guess I am worried that since he is quiet and "good" that he will get less time with the "teachers". I know it's daycare and that he is not gonna get the one on one that he would with me at home but...

One of the women said to me one day. "Man he is such a good baby, even when he does fuss it's hard to hear him over the other babies most times"

Am I just a new mom being paranoid? This is my first week back and I am having a rough time... much worse than I had anticipated!

Re: "Good baby" + daycare = not very much attention?

• Options

I understand your concern and I think it might mean that yes, he won't get as much one-on-one with the teachers BUT in the big picture, I think it's better to have a happy baby than a fussy one who needs to be held/comforted, etc. all the time. 

You could always talk to them about this, too and just explain your concern.  You never know, he could be getting lots of attention when the other kids are sleeping.  

• Options

I would seriously just ask. If you are a new mom, they are going to expect a lot of questions that are WAY sillier than that question. Smile Also, I think it's fair to want to know.

Just say, if you were me, would you worry that him being a happy baby means he gets less attention? See what they have to say.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    PeskyPesky member
    Both of mine were/are like that.  All the teachers comment on it.  And they were both spoiled rotten by the teachers (they call DS one assistant's "growth" because she hates to put him down and wants to cart him everywhere with her).  Seriously, think about it -- if you were a teacher, who are you going to play with and dote on and rush to attend to first?  The constant crier who is never satisfied or the happy little guy?  I'm guessing your guy will win out every time.  But like pp said, you can ask -- it'll probably help you alleviate your concerns.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

imagePesky:
    Both of mine were/are like that.  All the teachers comment on it.  And they were both spoiled rotten by the teachers (they call DS one assistant's "growth" because she hates to put him down and wants to cart him everywhere with her).  Seriously, think about it -- if you were a teacher, who are you going to play with and dote on and rush to attend to first?  The constant crier who is never satisfied or the happy little guy?  I'm guessing your guy will win out every time.  But like pp said, you can ask -- it'll probably help you alleviate your concerns.

Our experience has been like pp says above; all the teachers LOVE my DD because she is happy and giggly.  The teachers from the other rooms will stop by to play with her and they all tell me how much fun they have with her and how sad they are when we're on vacation, etc.  I understand what you're saying and worried about that myself, but for us it's been the opposite!  Hope that helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks SO much ladies! It really helped!
  • Options

In each and every class she's been in, people comment on how low maintenance DD is and she's been an obvious favorite. Our experience has been that Muffin is spoiled rotten. :)

But, I also agree with the others, if you're worried ask.

• Options
    Ditto Pesky.  It probably just means your DC will be a favorite.  Don't worry. :)
  • Options
    I said the exact same thing after one week back to work.  It turns out (like pp said) my dh is one of the favorites because he isn't fussy.  It is a good thing!
  • Options
    Ditto PP - DD is very good, happy most of the time and all the teachers and even other parents comment on it to me.  Teachers and floaters like coming to DD's room b/c she's fun, smiley, etc. and is rarely fussy.  And, also when DD is fussy or sick, she gets ALOT of TLC from them b/c they know something's up.  But, if you are concerned, ask and make it know that you are concerned, the teachers should be happy to reassure you that this will not be an issue.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jlw2505jlw2505 member
    Trust me, your baby will get just as much attention as the other babies.  The teachers always love a baby that doesn't fuss.  My older DD was the one that never cried and I often got to pick-up and someone was holding her or the teacher would be on the floor playing with her and another baby or two - maybe holding one and maybe not.  My LO was the fussy baby - and I saw about the things as far as the attention, being held, etc. 
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"