Parenting after a Loss

"Baby Instructions" for my mom, sis and sil (LONG)

I'm going back to work on Monday, and I am blessed to have my mom, sister, and sister-in-law to provide full-time daycare while I'm at work, for free (I'm going to occasionally buy groceries and gift cards to say thank you).

My mom asked me to write a "how to" for the baby, especially his normal schedule and preferences.  We're "AP Lite" (like attachment parenting principles, within reason) and she's totally on board.  My sister in law, who is "backup" daycare, is less so.  

So.... here's the letter that goes with my baby boy.... what do you think?

Hi my wonderful family! 

Mom suggested that I write down David's normal schedule for her and I figured everyone might appreciate a copy.  Of course, His Majesty designed the schedule, so if he's going to change it, who am I to question it?  Do what works for you - I just figured I'd rather give you too much info, and you can ignore it if needed.

Basic Info
Erin's Work:######  (this is the customer care department, they can always find me)
Dave's Work: ###### call and/or text him first, but feel free to call in an emergency.

Pediatrician: #####

David has not had any vaccines yet because of my remicade treatments.  He has no known allergies but we are keeping him away from Latex because of mine.  He is not taking any medication at this time.

Because of the remicade, if David runs a fever over 99.9 degrees, we are supposed to call the pediatrician right away and give him Tylenol (follow dosing chart).  Any bug he catches has to be controlled quickly or I could land myself back in the hospital.  David weighs 11 pounds.

Daily Schedule (give or take an hour)
1am food
Sleep
4-5am food
Sleep (usually, sometimes he's quiet but awake)
8am food
Stay awake till... (this is usually Happy Baby Time)
11:30 food
12-3pm NAPTIME
3pm food
Stay awake till...
6:30 food
7:30 bathtime
8:00-8:30, jammies, songs and cuddles
8:30 bedtime (sometimes takes till 9:30 to get him down if he's fussy)

If he doesn't get at least 2 hours of naptime in the afternoon, David will be fussy and unsettled in the evening. 

FOOD:
David usually has Similac Advanced formula (blue), and also likes Enfamil Premium (yellow).  It's mixed with 1 scoop to 2 oz of water.  I usually make 4 oz bottles during the day and a 6-8 oz bottle at night (for 2 feedings).  He eats a large meal at 6:30, sometimes as much as 10oz; if he does eat that much, he will probably skip one of the night feedings and wake only at 3am for a "snack".    I will send formula with him, but if you'd like to have some I will happily reimburse you.

David does not like soy-based ("sensitive") formulas.  He'll spit them out.  Any other formula is fine.

DIAPERS:
You can use any old ones you want.  We buy Pampers Swaddlers Baby-Dry, size 1, because he doesn't leak through them.  For diaper rash, we use either Aveeno or Butt Paste but he's fine with just about anything.  It's in his diaper bag.

FUSS BUSTERS
If he's really grumpy, we find these things work:
~Babywearing.  I will be sending one of the carriers with David in his diaper bag.  When in doubt, stick him in it and go about your life.  He will usually settle within a few minutes and you will have your hands free to get stuff done.
~Rocking/Singing.  He loves upbeat songs and "The Ants Go Marching" often puts him to sleep by #8.
~Bathtime If all else fails, break out the bathtub.  He likes warmer water; as long as it doesn't turn your skin pink it's not too hot.  He likes to "float" on his back and almost completely submerge; once his ears are under water he will totally zone out. Look out, he'll try to drown himself for fun.
~Chest to chest: sometimes if he's just got to cry himself down, he'll settle fastest if you hold him in a recliner type position on your chest, skin-to-skin if possible.

David doesn't usually like being in his carseat unless he's asleep.  So, if he hollers in the car, I'm sorry.  There's not much you can do but hope he passes out.  If you have a passenger, they may be able to settle him with a pacifier or a bottle, but it's a crapshoot.

Aside from the car (for obvious safety and reality reasons), please don't let him "cry it out" unless you're at the end of your rope and just need to step away for a minute.  We want David to know that the people who love him will always respond when he's upset.  He usually cries for a good reason - he's hungry, wet or just lonely.  Any schedule is just a suggestion - if he's hungry a half hour after he finished eating, that's fine.  If he really doesn't want a nap, he'll let you know.   Call us if you're concerned about ANYTHING.

I LOVE YOU ALL, THANK YOU!!!!!!  This stuff is just how we do it, and we trust you to make decisions for him.  We are so blessed to have you in David's life!

Re: "Baby Instructions" for my mom, sis and sil (LONG)

• That looks great!

Definitely save it and make changes as you go along!

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Looks good to me!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml