High-Risk Pregnancy

GD and Ketones

HI! I'm a newbie! I was diagnosed w/ GD last week and have started the diet and testing. However, I was wondering, how many of you also have to check your ketones? And if you've had spilling, what did you do to manage it? And if you have any other info, please share!

Re: GD and Ketones

• I had to add more protein to my nightly snack to lower my ketones.  My normal nightly snack consists of strawberries (1 cup and 1/4) lite whipped topping and a 2% string cheese.  Since this tends to work for me, I have pretty much stuck with it.  You kinda got to experiment with it at first, at least that is what I had to do.

GL!  It will get easier, I promise!

Married 2007
    DS - 5/2010
    DD - 6-2013
    TTC #3 - Cycle #9

• The only time I ever tested positive for Ketone is when i ate a huge supper with no carbs.  They told me to make sure I am meeting my carb allowance.  It is all very confusing to me!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm forever spilling ketones and I just try to get more carbs which also means more protein. Only 3 more weeks of this garbage for me!!!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers www.foreverfactor.blogspot.com
  • I continue to have "trace" or "small" for keytone readings most every morning. What is weird to me is that even on days when my blood sugar readings are on the high end, which I assume means I am getting plenty of carbs, I still have keytones in the mornings.  My doctor said that she doesn't really believe in monitoring keytones, it is the dietician that tells me to do so. My doctor said only to be concerned if there is a large amount of keytone spillage, which I haven't had yet.  
  • If you start spilling ketones that means your are depriving yourself and the baby of sugar or your body is not using blood sugar properly.  Here is what Ketones mean:

A ketone test checks for ketones in your blood or urine. Ketones are substances that are made when the body breaks down fat for energy. Normally, your body gets the energy it needs from carbohydrate in your diet. But stored fat is broken down and ketones are made if your diet does not contain enough carbohydrate to supply the body with sugar (glucose) for energy or if your body cannot use blood sugar (glucose) properly.

Here is more info:

When should I test for ketones?

• Anytime your blood glucose is over 250 mg/dl for two tests in a row.
    • When you are ill. Often illness, infections, or injuries will cause sudden high blood glucose and this is an especially important time to check for ketones.
    • When you are planning to exercise and the blood glucose is over 250 mg/dl.
    • If you are pregnant, you should test for ketones each morning before breakfast and any time the blood glucose is over 250 mg/dl.

If ketones are positive, what does this mean?

There are situations when you might have ketones without the blood glucose being too high. Positive ketones are not a problem when blood glucose levels are within range and you are trying to lose weight.

It is a problem if blood glucose levels are high and left untreated. Untreated high blood glucose with positive ketones can lead to a life-threatening condition called diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).

What should I do if the ketone test is positive?

Call your diabetes educator or physician, as you may need additional insulin. Drink plenty of water and fluids containing no calories to "wash out" the ketones. Continue testing your blood glucose every 3 - 4 hours, testing for ketones if the blood glucose is over 250 mg/dl. Do not exercise if your blood glucose is over 250 mg/dl and ketones are present.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for all the info and advice, ladies. I just started the diet and I'm spilling large amounts but the dietitian said she'd give me until Monday to get on track. There's so much info out there. Everything I've been reading has been freaking me out!
  • I did not tell you. When I spill ketones, I up my carbs the next day and see if that makes a difference. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My ketones were high no matter what I did so my doctor said to stop testing them since my sugars were fine.  I now have a perfectly healthy 18month old, and she has been healthy from birth.  She weighed 6lbs 1oz and 18.5 inches.  Point is ketones aren't really a big deal according to my dietician and OB.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"