High-Risk Pregnancy

First Day with GD

So I found out last night I have GD. My friend brought me an extra meter and the strips to work today. My levels one hour after meals are 90,103,and 92. She said I failed but not by much...is this why my levels are so low? I know they aren't abnormally love but I expected them to be between 120-140 considering I failed the test. This is all new to me. Any insight would be appreciated.

Re: First Day with GD

• she said you failed? Are you meeting with a diabetes educator soon? My numbers (and most I've seen from others here) are supposed to be under 90 fasting, and under 130 1 hour after meals.  Anything below 70 is considered too low.  The hard part for me is getting enough carbs (30 at breakfast, 30 at snacks, 45 lunch and dinner) and still staying in my range.

I really hope you're meeting with a nurse/dietitian who will tell you where you should be and what you should eat 

• Keep in mind an OB looks at blood sugar levels differently than other doctors.  You are within the safe range if your  1 hr is <140 and your 2 hour is <120.  Make sure you are getting what the PP said with carbs or you could be developing ketones in your body, which means you and the baby are not getting enough nutrients.  The best thing you can do it speak with a dietician as he/she will give you tips on what to eat, portions, etc.  Good Luck!  One plus side about GD is that you may not gain as much weight due to carb limiting and the baby weight will come off!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes I failed the 3 hour. My fasting number is supposed to be under 110 and an hour after meals under 140. I have to keep a log and if I have gone over my levels then she will set me up with a dietician.
  • Did she give you carb guidelines? Make sure you're getting enough- everyone here is really helpful if you need meal suggestions
  • SORRY FOR ALL CAPS IM ON MY IPHONE. NO SHE DIDNT GIVE ME CARB GUIDELINES AND I KNOW I DIDNT GET ENOUGH CARBS YESTERDAY BECAUSE I WAS PARANOID. IF I WAS GETTING MORE CARBS IM SURE MY BLOOD SUGAR WOULD BE HIGHER.
  • Maybe you're just lucky and the foods you ate yesterday were "good".  Depending on your normal diet, it could just be that you're already eating well and won't have to make a lot of drastic changes to get good blood sugar results. 
    Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• That's what my doctor said. She said I didn't fail by much and the first day she would just eat stuff normally and it could possibly be that some meals I were already eating were fine. Of course I panicked though and I watched really closely yesterday and limited my carbs. Now I've been reading on ketosis and I'm worried that I ate too few carbs and that's not good for him either. Here's what I ate yesterday:

• 1 piece toast, cheese, scrambled egg, 2 turkey sausage patties- 90
    • Apple and Peanut Butter for snack
    • Grilled chicken salad for lunch with dressing-103
    • Handful of pringles for snack
    • Rotisserie chicken with shredded cheese on it-92
    • Half of peanut butter sandwhich for snack at 8:30 p.m. and my fasting number was 79 this morning
     By looking at this I can tell I need more carbs. It's just such a hard balance. They tell you there's a problem so of course your going to go extreme. I read somewhere that some women can't tolerate milk without getting a high number so I didn't have any yesterday but now since my levels were so good I think I may can tolerate milk. I had some with breakfast so we will see.  
  • imageLins_n_Derek:

That's what my doctor said. She said I didn't fail by much and the first day she would just eat stuff normally and it could possibly be that some meals I were already eating were fine. Of course I panicked though and I watched really closely yesterday and limited my carbs. Now I've been reading on ketosis and I'm worried that I ate too few carbs and that's not good for him either. Here's what I ate yesterday:

• 1 piece toast, cheese, scrambled egg, 2 turkey sausage patties- 90
    • Apple and Peanut Butter for snack
    • Grilled chicken salad for lunch with dressing-103
    • Handful of pringles for snack
    • Rotisserie chicken with shredded cheese on it-92
    • Half of peanut butter sandwhich for snack at 8:30 p.m. and my fasting number was 79 this morning

By looking at this I can tell I need more carbs. It's just such a hard balance. They tell you there's a problem so of course your going to go extreme. I read somewhere that some women can't tolerate milk without getting a high number so I didn't have any yesterday but now since my levels were so good I think I may can tolerate milk. I had some with breakfast so we will see.  

It's all trial and error.  I did the opposite when I started.  I ate the max "allowed" number of carbs for a couple of days, and got a few not so good numbers.  Eventually I figured out what I can and can't eat, and that some times of day are better than others too.  At least now you know that you can probably start adding back some carbs and experimenting a little if you want! 

Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"