Toddlers: 24 Months+

Montessori schools - what do you know?

Just beginning to look into preschools and I'm curious about Montessori schools-anyone with firsthand experience?  Anyone like/dislike and why.

Thanks! 

Re: Montessori schools - what do you know?

• You should read a bit about the Montessori philosophy, pretty interesting.

I like that they enable kids to be an active part of their world. You make a mess, here are the tools to clean it up. It is snack time, let's work together to make the snack, the food isn't just presented to them on a plate. Learning is encouraged through play, but not just let them have at it kind of play, what is available is a learning opportunity.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think pinktulips had a good description. There's structured play involved and cooperative learning. Personally, I think kids can definitely benefit when they're younger (I went to montessori myself around ages 3/4 and loved it). Based on what I've seen I feel like kids need more structure as they get older and more directed learning.

I agree about reading about the different types of preschools and then visiting to see what will best suit your child. GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I worked as a teacher's assistant for a year in one. I think it's great for pre-school!!  Very hands on, very much into making meaning out of the things they learn.  I worked in the K-2 class and that's the oldest I think it's good for-  unless someone is really self-motivated because it's also mainly self-paced learning.
  • if your child is a good learning and can learn by exploring on their own- not being forced into a learning situation, it seems like a good program. 

But if your child needs a little push to learn or requires a little more repetition, in my experience, it is not so great.  

I say that because DS would never have done well in montessori.  He needs to be forced into a learning situation and be forced to do things to learn.  he requires a lot of repetition and to be pushed.  he needs structure to learn.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"