Breastfeeding and Working out — The Bump
Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding and Working out

I'm just getting back into some more intense workouts again (spinning/lifting etc)

What do I need to do (if anything) to insure my supply stays up and I can keep BFing?

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                 You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

Re: Breastfeeding and Working out

• Basically, all you need to do is make sure you stay hydrated and eat enough calories. 

Some people can exercise and see no effect whatsoever on their supply.  I really have to watch my calories and eat enough to make up for what I burn or my supply dips.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't worry about it!
  • Loading the player...
  • I read somewhere that heavy exercise can cause lactic acid to get into your breastmilk and give it a funny taste.  Not sure if this is true, but i thought i'd mention it anyway!

• No advice here- but a request that you post back with your experiences!!!

... I know I am not the only one who is thinking about the prospect of getting back in shape while nursing (not just losing weight)  I'd love to know how it works out for you and what you are doing- if you feel your supply is effected or not, how is your energy level, what are your goals, what are your caloric needs etc... I hope you find a routine that works good for you!

• I've been working out daily for the past 2 weeks (30 minutes of moderate to heavy cardio and another 30 weight training), along with trying to eat lighter and I did initially experience a dip in supply. I eat oatmeal most mornings and chug water throughout the day and my supply seems to be back on track. I don't count calories, and I eat when I'm hungry! My energy level is a problem, but this is because my 3 month old has pretty inconsistent sleep (she will STTN one night and sleep for a total of 1.5 hours the next), and I have very full days (5:30 am wake up and not back to bed until after 11 usually).

Regarding goals, I've lost about 35 pounds since giving birth, but to get back to where I was before I had my almost 2 year old son, I still have 20 pounds to go. So I want to lose 20 pounds and get back to the tone I had back when I took this picture before having my son:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards