Northern California Babies

What do you consider to be fully potty trained?

I've read all different things about what "the experts" consider potty trained. So, I'm curious, what do you consider to be fully potty trained? 

Re: What do you consider to be fully potty trained?

• when I don't have to buy any diapers for him at all.
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • imageSweetieP:
    when I don't have to buy any diapers for him at all.

including night time pull ups? 

• Loading the player...
  • Yep - that's my own personal definition.   My DS is potty trained during the day but for night time we still use diapers.  (And today is the first day we're chancing no diapers at naptime.)

Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I'd say FULLY potty trained when they don't wear diapers ever - including at night. But I'd still consider potty trained during the day/diapers or pull ups at night potty trained. If that makes any sense. Mostly potty trained, I guess I'd say!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • As someone who washed diapers for the past two years, I jumped for joy when he was using the potty when prompted and no longer wearing diapers during the day.  We did diapers at night for a while and now Imse Vimse training underwear.  I still prompt him on when to use the toilet (he stopped using the potty while we were in NYC and he didn't have a potty) but he will tell me when he needs to go if I forget.  At night, he will wet the bed 3 out of 7 days.  Which is fine, we have a pad and just throw it and the top sheet in the wash.  There are so many degrees to the potty training business!  I think that once they are out of diaper during the day (even 5 year olds still have accidents and I'm in no rush for my DS to wake me in the middle of the night to say that he needs to go, LOL) and can readily communicate that they need to go-- accidents will happen.  But again, I considered him trained when he was out of diapers during the day..the rest became cream on top!
  • So if you still help them get onto the toilet and they still have some accidents its fair to say they're potty trained if they no longer wear diapers? I don't want to be telling people my dd's potty trained if most people wouldn't consider that potty trained, even if she is out of diapers.  I guess I've always thought of potty trained as them being able to go to the bathroom on their own, not need any help, and have no or very infrequent accidents.  But I don't want to sell my daughter short either! I'm very happy with being able to consider her at least daytime potty trained. :)
  • I consider fully potty trained - not needing diapers at all any more (including night time)

But even fully trained kiddos can have accidents once in awhile and might need mommy's help once in a while =)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Previously posted as "denisethebride"
  • Ditto on not having to buy any diapers at all (day or night).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"