High-Risk Pregnancy

Introduction

I wanted to take a second and introduce myself.  I was told on Tuesday that I have gestational diabetes and toxemia.  After the 24 hr. urine test, my doctor confirmed the toxemia todayl, is having me do the urine test again (to make sure the liver functions are okay??) and I have to go back on Monday to check my bp again.  As far as the GD, I go see the high risk doctor on Tuesday, but I don't really know what to expect.  I've done some research about the diet and am trying to stick to it - I just need to do low carb, low sugar, high protein, right?  My husband is out of town, and I am a little overwhelmed.  I don't know what to expect.  My dr. is starting to bring up light duty and bed rest, but I am a teacher and only have 5 weeks of school left.  What are the chances of me being put on bed rest? 

Re: Introduction

• Welcome to the club no one wants to be in! 

The diet isn't that bad, but definitely took some getting used to, for me.  Basically, the dietician gave me a carb range for each meal, and 3 snacks a day.  For me it's 30-45g for breakfast and 45-60g for lunch and dinner, with 15-30 per snack.  You'll probably be testing your blood sugar first thing in the morning, and either 1 or 2 hours after each meal.  The whole diet/carb process is pretty much trial and error.  You may find that some carbs and meals will give your really good numbers, and other's will give you terrible numbers.  Unfortunately, all carbs are not equal!  Eventually you figure out what works for you, and get into a routine.  

Combining your carbs with protein and veggies at each meal/snack also can help keep your blood sugar in control.  Moderate exercise after each meal (about 10 minutes or so) can also go a long way in helping your numbers.

Hope this helps.  There's lots of great support on this board, so check back often! 

Edit-Just saw the part about possible bed rest. Ask your dr about the exercise! 

Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• PP gave a good explaination on the GD - it's really not that bad once you get used to it.

I started showing early signs of pre-e today at my OB appt. and they have me doing the 24 hr urine, blood tests, ect.  I'm already on modified bedrest, but until the blood tests come back tomorrow my doctor has put me on strict bed rest - meaning only getting up to pee.  That being said, all OB's are a little different as is every pg, but I doubt your chances of avoiding restricted duty at the very least are pretty slim.  But in the end doing what is best for your little one, and for you is what is most important.  It may not be easy, but it's only temporary.  Good luck!

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you ladies!!  It's nice to get to know all of you, but I agree that I wouldn't have chosen to be here if I din't have to!  I used to do the South Beach Diet before pregnancy, so I'm hoping that I can follow alot of those rules.  I didn't mind it too much.  Just REALLY miss sugar!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"