Working Moms

12 hour shifts.

Suck. In my opinion. I work three 12 hour shifts a week (both night and day and weekend too). Would you rather work more days a week for less hours a day or more hours a day for less days per week?

Mio Marito per Sempre: Married 2009. SD is 12 yrs. DD is 4 yrs.

DS born 12/29/14

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: 12 hour shifts.

• Well, this week I am working 5 11 hour days and 1 8 hour day, so I would take either.  Just less hours would be great!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMadringal:
    Well, this week I am working 5 11 hour days and 1 8 hour day, so I would take either.  Just less hours would be great!

Geez that's busy!!! Way to go!

Mio Marito per Sempre: Married 2009. SD is 12 yrs. DD is 4 yrs.

DS born 12/29/14

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I work T 6-10p, W 11:30a-10p, Thurs 11:30a-10:00p,  Fri10:30a-9:00p and Sat 8a-2:00p

So basically 3-tens, 1-four and 1-six - I LOVE my schedule I feel like I am working part time but put in full time hours and get lots of time with the kiddos.  

• I totally agree!

DH used to work in the ED.  I hated it when he worked 12's.  He worked from 7:30a-7:30p.  He would come home completely devastated at 8:30, eat and drink a ton, then crash until 6 the next morning. 

When he worked 8's, he was only there until 3:30, meaning he would be back at 4-4:30 and still have some time and energy to hang out (this was pre-baby). 

• I work 7PM-7AM 3 nights a week, and I feel it has both benefits and drawbacks. I love that I get 4 days a week off, and sometimes that can get lumped together and I will have 4-5 day stretches in a row off, which is really nice. I work every 3rd weekend, also, so it is pretty common for me to get 3-4 day weekends off. I do not, however, like working midnights, so that makes it hard for me. I switched to this schedule about 7 months ago or so to accommodate picking the kids up from school, but I am having an extremely hard time adjusting to the sleep pattern and feel pretty much like a zombie a lot of the time. I feel like the 12 hour shift is extremely long some nights and it can drag on, but, as an RN, I also feel like I get to know my patients very well-spending 12 hours with them can be really good or really bad!  :) I have been looking for a different position where I can work more "normal" hours, but part of me thinks I will miss the 3 day work week if that ever happens!

• imageRebeccaJeeper:

I work 7PM-7AM 3 nights a week, and I feel it has both benefits and drawbacks. I love that I get 4 days a week off, and sometimes that can get lumped together and I will have 4-5 day stretches in a row off, which is really nice. I work every 3rd weekend, also, so it is pretty common for me to get 3-4 day weekends off. I do not, however, like working midnights, so that makes it hard for me. I switched to this schedule about 7 months ago or so to accommodate picking the kids up from school, but I am having an extremely hard time adjusting to the sleep pattern and feel pretty much like a zombie a lot of the time. I feel like the 12 hour shift is extremely long some nights and it can drag on, but, as an RN, I also feel like I get to know my patients very well-spending 12 hours with them can be really good or really bad!  :) I have been looking for a different position where I can work more "normal" hours, but part of me thinks I will miss the 3 day work week if that ever happens!

ditto every bit of this.  except I only work 2 twelves a week.  I don't believe I could handle full time nights.  I'm so beat as it is.   poor dh puts in more than 50hrs a week in his office/classroom/lab.. not including the time he puts in from home.  I don't feel too bad about my 12hr shifts.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"