Pre-School and Daycare

Update on Carson's surgery

He did great and I cried like a baby, lol!

The food thing wasn't that bad, he had clear fluids until 9am and then we pulled out a movie he has never seen before so that kept him occupied for a while.  He started asking for snacks about 10am.  He was a brave little man and Children's is just wonderful!  He got a present to play with and toys.  Everything was nice and calm until it was time to go to the OR.  About 5-6 nurses came in and he started screaming crying, "I WANT TO GO BYE BYE!  I WANT TO GO OUTSIDE"  We all walked to the area before the OR where the nurses give him gas....and that was the worst of it all, literally.  DH sat in a chair and bear hugged Carson and I was kissing him and telling him mommy and daddy are here and we love you, kissing his head and hands and wiping his tears.  I mean, you could not hear a thing over the screaming, just sheer noise.  They put the mask on his face and turned up the gas b/c he was fighting it so hard.  Finally his eyes zoned out and he started to go limp and this is where I was fighting the tears.  I know he is just going to "sleep" but it looked like he was just slipping away....and that was SO HARD to see.  We laid him on the bed and kissed him multiple times and I said, "Carson, mommy and daddy love you" AND I LOST IT....the water works were flowing (he was passed out).

The procedure took about 20 minutes and the doc said he did great and his adenoids were moderately large but not HUGE and his sinuses were full of gunk so they flushed all that out and put in the tubes.  In recovery he was upset but not too bad b/c he had general anthesthia so he was in and out of it.  I rocked him, he laid curled up on my chest - I could have stayed there forever.  He drank some apple juice and finally came to and we left.  He cried the whole 40 minute drive home which was pure torture.  The minute we got home I gave him some water and offered crackers but he wasn't hungry.  I rocked him in his room and passed out with him passed out in my arms for 2 hours.

He is finally up and has had applesauce and some chocolate pudding.  He sounds SO STUFFY but that is from the swelling.  He is on and off upset about things that would not normally upset him, like finding his toy or something.  He is tired but not that hungry.

I am so glad I took off tomorrow b/c I am mentally drained.  I don't know why but this round of tubes was so much harder for me to swallow, maybe b/c he is older, maybe b/c he had more done.  I just don't know.

Anyways, thanks so much for all the thoughts and prayers.  Cheers to less sinus infections/ear infections!Drinks  I have had my Chipolte, now I need my wine!

Re: Update on Carson's surgery

• Dang I teared up just reading that! Hang in there mama! xoxoxo
  • wow, I am crying like a baby.  That just broke my heart.  I am glad the surgery went well.  I hope he gets better soon.  Thanks for the update.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ugh, heartbreaking.  Thanks for sharing your story.  I wondered if the second time was worse than the first.  Allie is going in two weeks. 

I hope you get some rest tonight and Carson is back to himself soon.

• That sounded so hard to go thru! I would of been bawling too. I hope you both get your much needed rest. Hopefully, tommorrow will be better.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I was definitely tearing up just reading this and remember DD's surgery when she was 10 months.  My heart goes out to you! I didn't go back with her when they knocked her out because I would have lost it too.
  • Surgery is always a scary thing...especially when it's your child!  I'm glad the surgery went well..and I'm glad you took tomorrow off to de-stress.  Keep us updated on how he's doing!
  • Ohhh, man! That MUST have been hard!!  I can't imagine.  Glad he is ok though, and hopefully he doesn't have anymore issues!!
  • P.S. Can I get some of that gas to make S a lttle snoozy?! She will not stop crying! ; )
  • WOW!  That brought tears to my eyes at well!  So glad everything went well!  (((HUGS)))

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • awww how rough. I am glad to hear everything went well though. Hope you all get some rest tonight.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • thanks girls!
    And Britt, I even asked  dh in the waiting room what the heck was in that gas, kwim?  how it works - crazy how it just knocks a person out.
  • glad to hear the surgery went well.  I can't imagine how it was to watch him go through all that though.  I felt awful this whole week because DS has had a stomach bug and cried every time he had to go to the bathroom, and what you went through is like 10 times harder!  Hang in there and I'm sure he will be back to his old self again really soon
  • Glad it went well.  Here's an imaginary toast to a healthier boy from here on out! Drinks
  • Oooh, that made me teary! I'm glad it's all over with so you can put this behind you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ah, that's so tough!  I'm glad everything went well and hope Carson is back to his old self in no time.  ((HUGS))  I know you will have no problem giving him extra cuddles and lovies during his recovery. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"