Breastfeeding

Exclusive Pumpers..help!! I need your advice

I have been breastfeeding exclusively but pumping just a few times a day for while I am at work... Due to blood in my daughters stool and food allergies she has to go on a special formula for a month to let her body heal. I am on a very strict diet, but they want me to keep pumping so she can go back to breastfeeding after a month. My question is how many times a day will I need to pump to keep up with her milk supply?? I am back to work now and was only pumping twice there...but think I will have to increase that. I am really concerned about keeping my supply up b/c our insurance isn't covering this special formula, and we NEED to go back to breast milk after the month is over. HOPEFULLY! Plus, I will miss it! :) Any advice would be so great! Thank you.
BFP #1 3/99. DD born 12/24/99 BFP#2 8/2008. Missed miscarriage found at 11 weeks, Emergency D&C 10/31/08 BFP #3 1/29/09 Natural miscarriage 2/14 BFP#4 4/24 DD born 12/14/09 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Exclusive Pumpers..help!! I need your advice

• I personally would get a second opinion. I've heard of other pedis telling other moms this same thing on the BFing board and most of the time it is not necessary to "let her body heal" with formula for a month. Call an LC or LLL and see what they suggest for diet modifications for you. DD had a dairy sensitivity and once I stopped eating dairy, after about 5 days she was fine. It was like night and day- and I never gave her any formula. Best of luck. If you do decide to EP for the next month you should pump as many times and your DD is eating now, for 15-20 mins each time. 
  • I agree with the PP. Also, try to pump as many times as she eats, and possibly and extra time or two if you can manage it.  Even if some of the pump sessions are five minute quickies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"