Nurseries and Baby Gear

Converting upholstered chair to glider?

I have a chair from Calico corners that I got 15 yrs ago.

It is a regular old side chair  (looks like this  https://www.calicocorners.com/product/custom+upholstered+furniture/custom+upholstered+chairs+and+chaises/fully+upholstered+chairs/diane's+chair.do)

any chance anyone here would know anything about getting some sort of glider action for it?

i called Calico - no dice.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Converting upholstered chair to glider?

• Try contacting a business that reupholsters furniture.  I'm guessing they'll have various types of mechanisms they can source for you.  I would be curious to know the cost because I'm considering doing something similar.
  • Hi there. You can buy mechanisims that will turn your chair into a "rocker/recliner" type of chair. These mechanisms usually contain springs around a central metal base, but I would think there would be a lot of work to do under the seat in the way of making it fit the chair's frame, since it wasn't designed this way from the beginning.

Another option is to find a local woodworker who could possibly add rockers to the chair in the place of the standard feet, turning your chair into a more traditional rocker. Again, it's more than simply attaching a pair of curved wood parts; if it's not done correctly, the chair will not rock properly.

My expertise in these matters? I build rocking chairs for a living. Hope this helps you out.

• Loading the player...
  • thanks.  I have a call into an interior designer buddy ( whom I didn't think of in the first place) who is brilliant - hopefully he'll know a local.  And there is a section of Philly - fabric row - where I imagine i can dig up a reupholsterer ...I most certainly will keep you informed

thanks frank also!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"