Working Moms

can I get your thoughts?

I have a toddler (2.5) who is in daycare, and baby #2 is on the way in Oct!  We're excited but also stressed about the plans for next year.  First, I don't yet know whether I'll be returning to work when my leave ends in March.  Second, I'm conflicted about the best plan for our daughter.  She is in a daycare that I've recently become very upset with (not professional, not managed well, caregivers not particularly "caring" anymore...), but she seems comfortable there.  Their plan for the next few months is to move her to the next room in July (which she should have been in two months ago, but they didn't have room, and still don't).  Then, they'll move her to another room two months later (to start "preschool").  The following month, her sibling is due.  So, three big transitions in three months.  (I should note my dd is very slow to warm, and she isn't immediately trusting of new caregivers--every transition is a big deal). I'm really po'd that they didn't better manage their enrollment to consider needs, among other issues I have.  SO, I'm thinking of looking for a new preschool/daycare to take my dd starting this summer.  The place I'm considering doesn't have the "daycare" options the current place does (e.g., they don't open until 8), but they seem to have a fantastic preschool program and facility in general.  They also have part time preschool as an option if I am to stay home next year.  I"m just so worried about removing her from a place she's been attending for almost two years, then introducing a new sibling, etc... but I really don't like where she's at.  (Not concerned for her safety, obviously, or I wouldn't leave her there).  If you've been through this-switching care for one sibling before another one arrives, I'd appreciate your tips/thoughts.  Thank you!

Re: can I get your thoughts?

• DD is 2.5.  We've had a lot of changes lately and she switched from Parent's Day Out once a week and home with DH the rest of the time to full time daycare 3 weeks ago.  I was nervous b/c it took her 3 months to adjust to PDO, but they don't have full time care so we had to switch.  She's doing pretty well at her new school.  IMO it would be better to have your DD only switch once, rather than several changes over the course of a few months.  I'd get her excited/adjusted at new school before baby comes along if possible.  That way she won't think the school changes have anything to do with sibling. 
  • If you are going to move her, Iwould try to do it about 203 months before the baby arrives, sooner if possible.  That way she can get adjusted to the new daycare/preschool well before the baby arrives.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Loading the player...
  • We switched daycares for DD when DS was 6 months old and she was just over 3 years old. She too was normally very slow to warm up and didn't do room transitions well within her old daycare. It was obvious to us that we made the right decision to switch locations because she had no problems transitioning to the new center (she was still shy, but absolutely no issues with drop offs).

If you are unhappy with the current situation I wouldn't think twice about moving her.

On a side note we also moved when DS was 3 weeks old which of course was a big transition for DD. She was 2.5, and handled it beautifully. She's a pretty adaptable kid, but personally I wouldn't be too worried about transitioning to a new daycare along with welcoming a sibling. 

• We moved and switched daycares when DS was 15 months old.  His brother was born 2 months later.   The transition was rough for him, and he cried every day at drop-off for 2 weeks.  I was also really glad we switched.  I know that part of it was his age, but his demeanor changed, he was less cranky, and he started picking up a lot of new skills almost immediately.  

By the time his brother was born, Declan was well adjusted to the new daycare, and that was no longer an issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"