South Florida Babies
Options

what other key pieces do you need for nursery?

Which ones do you have that you just can't live without?

Rocker? Glider? Ottoman? Armoire? Bookcase? 

Re: what other key pieces do you need for nursery?

• Options

We have the dresser with the hutch, so we keep books and toys there.  Also a rocking chair, but you could get a glider, I would definitely get one of those.  And lastly a toy box.  That's it.  Your baby won't spend a lot of time in there other than sleeping when they're little. 

In the closet we had some cubby things that we got at target with bins to help with organization and for more storage.

image image

• Options

A rocker/glider is a must! Not only is it great for when the baby gets here, but it's also a nice place to sit and relax in the last few weeks of the pregnancy. I know of some moms that slept in their rockers/gliders toward the end of their pregnancies because it was too uncomfortable for them to sleep in their beds.

A bookcase is also good for storage.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Besides the crib (obviously), I think a place to sit/rock/feed the baby is super important and storage is super important. How you handle both those necessities is a matter of personal taste. I went with an upholstered rocker because I felt it was the most comfy for cuddling up with the baby. I thought I would need an ottoman, but I hadn't had a chance to buy it before she was born and then never got around to it later. I found that my rocker was fine without it. For storage, we did a big dresser and an Ikea Expedit bookcase with bins. You are going to have a TON of stuff and need a lot of places to stash it all. You can do bookshelves, dressers, armoires, toy boxes, bins, baskets, etc. Whatever works for you.

The only other element I would say is nice to have but not necessarily a necessity is a little bit of floor area where the baby can do tummy time, crawl, etc., once he or she gets a bit bigger. We have a white shaggy rug in front of Emma's crib that we use for that purpose and it's nice to have somewhere to set her down besides the crib.

This was my bible when putting together the nursery: https://www.amazon.com/Nursery-Style-Serena-Dugan/dp/B0032FO6OG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272559722&sr=8-1 Not only are the pictures absolutely gorgeous and inspiring, but I found it to be very much on point and accurate in breaking down what you really need in the room.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We have the crib, dresser, armoire, glider, ottoman, and toy chest. The glider and ottoman is a MUST! I still use it every night for storytime before bed!
  • Options

Oh I wanted to add - when shopping for furniture, I considered getting some kind of big comfy armchair or chaise type thing that wouldn't necessarily rock. Thank God I didn't! There's a reason why rockers and gliders are so popular in nurseries lol. The motion is great for getting baby to fall asleep. I've seen a lot of blogs where the people just get some other type of seating that doesn't move and I'm sure that's fine for feedings and whatnot, but I am so grateful I got something that actually rocks.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Instead of a glider, we got a recliner that rocks. My biggest essential item (other than a crib and changing table of course)! We have slept many nights in that recliner from infancy, now through the toddler years. We also use it for story time.
  • Options
    Oh yes, a glider w/ ottoman is a must!  The gliding/rocking helps puts baby to sleep.  I have slept several nights in mine-- so cozy.  A bookcase, I prefer a dresser instead of a changing table, and lamp (next to the glider).  You don't want to have to turn on the lights in the middle of the night to see/nurse/feed baby.  I also placed a basket of burp cloths next to the glider for easy reach. 
  • Options
    LOL. I think I am the only one who did not invest in a glider/ottoman. I was perfectly fine on my couch or my bed. Plus, I was not big on rocking.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMellyMelB:
    LOL. I think I am the only one who did not invest in a glider/ottoman. I was perfectly fine on my couch or my bed. Plus, I was not big on rocking.

OH Mel, I'm the complete opposite!  I LOVE ROCKING CHAIRS!  I actually have one already.  But Dh promised me a glider when we have the babies... he actually already mentioned potentially having to buy 2, one for him.  But I told him he could use the rocking chair.  LOL  I already know where it is going in the nursery.  

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for your input, girls.  It's very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"