Austin Babies

? for breastfeeding mamas

DH and I are slowly starting to look online and figure out what we want to buy or register for.  I'm lost looking at pumps.  What pump did you go with? 

Re: ? for breastfeeding mamas

• I have the Medela Pump In Style Advanced and have no complaints. It was a great, efficient pump for me and was very easy to use. I knew I wanted a double because I didn't want to be stuck pumping for 40 minutes (20 per side).
  • ditto pp, i used the medela pisa.  i've also heard great things about the ameda purely yours and it is a lot cheaper than the medela.

are you going to be working out of the home?  that might be one reason you would want a double-electric.  if you're going to be at home with the baby you may only need a single electric.

ditto mrsrosie - get the backpack.  i know it sounds dorky but you will have a million bags to carry in at the end of the day (if you're working out of the home).  pretty much every night i would carry in my purse, diaper bag, breast pump bag, lunch bag, and my son's car seat!  it was crazy.  the backpack was awesome.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelibbyann:
    I have the Medela Pump In Style Advanced and have no complaints. It was a great, efficient pump for me and was very easy to use. I knew I wanted a double because I didn't want to be stuck pumping for 40 minutes (20 per side).

Ditto this, and I got the backpack version.

• I have a PISA and it's held up great, I pumped a year with DD and I'm pumping again with DS.  The pump still works great!  However, last month on a trip to visit my family I forogt my pump so I bought a single electric, the Swing (also Medela).  It seemed to be a lot more effeicent than the PISA, it's a different set of parts, the horns are more flexible and the pumping action is different.  I got more milk with it.  I believe it's the same technology as the Freestyle.  I also love that the freestyle doesn't come attached to a bag so you can take it out and put it in whatever bag you want. 
  • imageMrsRosie:
    Oh, and I wanted to add, that if you had the backpack and a hands-free pumping bra you could totally do other stuff around the house like vacuum or clean while simultaneously pumping Ghostbuster-style.

for reeeeeaaal???

I am learning so much...Smile

• imageMrsRosie:
    Oh, and I wanted to add, that if you had the backpack and a hands-free pumping bra you could totally do other stuff around the house like vacuum or clean while simultaneously pumping Ghostbuster-style.

LOL but seriously this sounds awesome! I have many, many times wished that I had a hands-free pumping bra. I use the Medela PIS and it is about 6 or so years old (hand me down from my sister) but it works great and I love it (as much as one can love a pump). I have the ugly purse, but I do think a backpack would be better. I work FT if that helps.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMrsRosie:

I'm sorry, but this made me LOL! 

that's awesome though that you can multi-task while pumping!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also use the PISA backpack. I have been pleased with it.
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

• imageMrsRosie:

Now why didn't I ever think of this?! Huh?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I know everyone else has already said it, but really, get the Medela. I got the Lansinoh double electric and liked it at first, but it has totally crapped out on me. It makes a high-pitched whining noise now and just sounds like the motor could stop at any moment. And I SAH, so I just pumped once a day for the most part. I think I'm going to have to get a new pump whenever I have another baby and I'm kicking myself that I didn't just fork over the money for a really nice pump the first time around.
  • imageMrsRosie:

i have never thought about doing this but sounds like a great idea!  Wow and kudos for multitasking,

i have the medela pump in style advanced with the metro bag.  i thought that was a little more discreet to haul places.  i have a hands free bustier but i just sit there and read......i'm boring huh.

I Can't Resist Those Chubby Cheeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Dx with endo & blocked left tube - TTC #1 for 29 cycles before miracle BFP, #2 - Surprise!!
    My TTC/PG blog / Panda Phenomenon Explained
  • EMTXEMTX member

imageMichelle&Russ:
    I have a PISA and it's held up great, I pumped a year with DD and I'm pumping again with DS.  The pump still works great!  However, last month on a trip to visit my family I forogt my pump so I bought a single electric, the Swing (also Medela).  It seemed to be a lot more effeicent than the PISA, it's a different set of parts, the horns are more flexible and the pumping action is different.  I got more milk with it.  I believe it's the same technology as the Freestyle.  I also love that the freestyle doesn't come attached to a bag so you can take it out and put it in whatever bag you want. 

I have the Swing, too, and it's great. Definitely efficient.

In my bag: Canon 60D, 50mm 1.4, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430exii Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was about to buy the freestyle, but my aunt gave me her old pump (ameda purely yours). We both worked full time and it is still going strong. If I buy one for the next kid I will still buy a medela freestyle (or whatever handsfree) since the pump is used quite often. I think it would be nice to have both hands free. So my vote is for anything hands free.

Ditto backpack as well. 

• imageMrsRosie:

Awesome! And you know every time you do this, someone will come to the door and see you, right? Neighbor, UPS man, etc. That's just how it works Wink

• I never was able to use a consumer-grade pump so I have no advice there, but I would recommend waiting until you have your LO before purchasing.  That way you have a better idea of what you'll end up needing. It would suck to purchase an expensive pump only to discover you could have totally gotten by with a $30 manual pump or something (which I guess depends on if you plan to work or not, too.)  However I have to say the backpack thing sounds awesome!  I wish I could have had that - but unfortunately I had to have the huge, 40lb medical-grade pump the entire time I was nursing. 
  • I used a PISA and liked it a lot until my job situation changed and I ended up having to pump in a server closet that didn't have a lot of counter space.  I gave my PISA to my sister and bought a Freestyle which I'm using now with baby 2.  I find it to be even more efficient than the PISA and I like that I can toss it into my work bag and not have to carry ANOTHER freaking bag with me. 

www.addalittlelove.com has the best prices that I've found.  You'll have to email her to see what she's charging now since Medela doesn't allow retailers to advertise their prices.

• imageBubbleToes:

I find it to be even more efficient than the PISA and I like that I can toss it into my work bag and not have to carry ANOTHER freaking bag with me. 

I'm glad to hear you found it more effecient too!!  I wish I could trade my PISA in for a freestyle!

• I have the Medela Freestyle and love the portability of it. It's also hands-free and double-electric.
  • I got the Medela Pump In Style.  I thought about the Freestyle but I've been reading ways to make it hands free.  So I'd save the money.  Definately get the double pump because it saves you time.  Which you won't have much of when the kiddo gets here. 
  • imageCollieJade:
    ... I would recommend waiting until you have your LO before purchasing.  That way you have a better idea of what you'll end up needing.

Yes  Yes 

i definitely agree. or, if you want to register for it, register for the PISA (love it) but don't open it until you're sure you can use it. be sure to ask to pump at the hospital, that way you can learn if you're even able to pump. when we got home, we borrowed (yup, for free) a pump from our pediatrician for the first two weeks while we were struggling with BFing. once we finally got the hang of things, we bought the PISA. but we could have just as easily not been successful with pumping, in which case it would have been bad to have already made the purchase and not have been able to return it.

plan on renting/borrowing before buying. or be sure to keep the gift receipt!

• imagelibbyann:
    I have the Medela Pump In Style Advanced and have no complaints. It was a great, efficient pump for me and was very easy to use. I knew I wanted a double because I didn't want to be stuck pumping for 40 minutes (20 per side).

this

• I'll pipe in with my two cents about waiting to get a pump....definitely register for one and hope you get it.  We got one off our registry thankfully.  I didn't open in and didn't intend to until after we had been home for awhile.  However.....we had problems BFing in the hospital because my milk came in with avengence and she wouldn't latch when I was so engorged.  She dropped so much weight, we had to supplement with formula and everyone told me to pump.  I was open to the pumping suggestion but.....

NAMC was OUT of friggin' pumps that week, I guess everyone and their grandma needed one......they kept promising that one was coming and it took almost two days to get one for me.  I was pissed off at that and seriously couldn't wait any longer (was leaking all over the place and boobs were killing me), so I had my parents come to the house and bring me the one we had after half a day of waiting.  I am thankful that I had that option to just use mine so it lessened my pissed-offness at the hospital. 

I Can't Resist Those Chubby Cheeks

Dx with endo & blocked left tube - TTC #1 for 29 cycles before miracle BFP, #2 - Surprise!!
    My TTC/PG blog / Panda Phenomenon Explained
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"