Blended Families

SK getting in bed w/DH and I...yikes.

Okay wondering what to do in this situation. Any advice would be appreciated.

5 yr old SS has a habit in the early morning hours of coming into our room and crawling in bed with us. 5:30-6am. I typically get up and just start my day and leave him and DH in the bed. Sometimes he will go back to sleep or turn on the tv while DH is semi awake and just have quiet time. I don't feel comfortable staying in bed if he is there.

Am I right to leave the bed, or should we work on putting him back in his bed or alter bed time (maybe he is going to be too soon 730pm typically)so that he might sleep longer in the morning.

We only have him holidays and 6 wks in summer so not an EOW issue, so I don't mind leaving the bed for the short time he is here.

Re: SK getting in bed w/DH and I...yikes.

• Personally I love it when my kids (bio and skids) come crawl in bed with us for that snuggle time. Almost every saturday morning we have all 3 in bed (which with a queen size is quite a feat) and they watch some cartoons while they wake up and snuggle.

Now in the middle of the night we take them back to bed and tuck them back in... usually 2 minutes of back rubbing and they are out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Do what you feel comfortable with. DH has never let any of his kids sleep in the bed with him (the dogs not allowed in our room either). It is one of his rules. He feels strongly about it and I don't care either way so it's fine with me. I have slept with each of the kids in there beds when they have been sick and waking up all night. Both my H, BM, and I are comfortable with it. If I wasn't I wouldn't do it and I don't think it is a problem.
  • Loading the player...
  • When my kids were little they were co-sleepers with me.  I don't find it strange at all that children want to snuggle in bed w/ parents. My SO used to laugh when he would come home after working nights and the kids and i were asleep in the bed and sleeping like puppies.  Then we would transfer them back to their own beds.

Right now our kids are "too cool" but there is still every once in awhile they come in bed and snuggle/tv watching or just quiet one on one time.  It's now few and far between and I cherish it each and everytime.

But that type of dynamic isn't for everyone.  And like I said I set the precident b/c I'm one of those "crazy" cosleeping breastfeeding for 2 years mom.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My DH loves it too for the snuggle factor, and he wants me to stay in bed. I'm uncomfortable honestly because of our BSC BM. I don't bathe the kids either, DH strictly does this for both SS and SD. I help by getting the pjs together,bedrooms ready, books for reading at bedtime etc.
  • I wasn't comfortable with that either so when one of my skids used to get up really early, DH would get up and curl up on the couch with her.  Once she was comfortable being in our home and old enough to understand rules a little better, we instated a "stay in bed" rule.  If they wake up earlier than everyone else, they don't have to go back to sleep (assuming its a reasonable time like 7am) but they have to get a book or their Nintendo DS/Leapster whatever, and read/play quietly in their beds so as not to wake anyone else up.  DH and I both get up pretty early most days, so we're usually awake and if we hear someone up, we will tell them they can come down and watch TV.

I am of the mind frame that our room is OUR room and that a husband and wife (especially in a blended family situation) need a space that is theirs and only theirs.  The kids don't belong in our room to sleep/cuddle/play or anything else.  It's not like they're NEVER allowed in there, but we keep one on one time and other things like that in other parts of the house.   

accordingtoabby.com" "From of suffering emerges the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahlil Gibran
  • I love cuddle time. When DH and I had our first apartment SS would wake up in the morning and crawl into my side of the bed, since the tv was on that side. And we would watch saturday morning cartoons together. It is one of my favorite memories.
    Proud Step Mom to Zachary 10-26-98
    Loving Wife to Billy 04-28-07
    Proud mom to Jeremy 08-15-08

• imageluckyangel:

I am of the mind frame that our room is OUR room and that a husband and wife (especially in a blended family situation) need a space that is theirs and only theirs.  The kids don't belong in our room to sleep/cuddle/play or anything else.  It's not like they're NEVER allowed in there, but we keep one on one time and other things like that in other parts of the house.   

I agree with this.  I am not comfortable with SS or DS being in the same bed with me and DH.  It is our room, that is where we have our time.  We are very affectionate with the kids everywhere else, but our room is our room and our bed is our bed.  I'm not sure if I would feel differently if we were not a BF.  If kids wake up in the middle of the night we bring them back to their room cuddle, hugs, kisses, and good night.  They are allowed to wake us up when they get up but they just open the door and say good morning or its time to get up, they don't get in bed with us.  My DS is still a baby but it will be the same when he is older.  I just don't like kids in the bed with me.  Maybe thats weird but I'm not comfortable with it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I never thought about it. My 3yo SS crawls into bed with us every morning we have him (summer, and one week in dec) and when we vacation, we usually all end up in a bed together anyways. I mean, we are all clothed, and sleeping. Never even crossed my mind it might be an issue!

But, if YOU aren't comfortale, I definitely think it a topic you should broach with your H, and come up with a solution that works for you :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When DH and I first began spending the night together, occasionally his youngest would come in to sleep with him.  The first time that happeend, I got up and slept on the couch because I wasn't comfortable with it either.  DH didn't like that and although I felt guilty for making him choose, he started putting SS back in his own bed.  I don't know why I feel this way-I don't have kids of my own and when I was little my sister and I would sometimes sleep in my mom's bed when my dad was deployed-but I do.  Our bed is pretty much the only place where our relationship is just about us and I cherish that. 
  • I understand your hesitation. My SD would get in our bed sometimes and I would get out. In this day and age you can never be too careful with rumors that might get said about you. Luckily they dont do it anymore but I felt very uncomfortable. 
  • We have designated our master bedroom as a "kid free zone."  I need one space where I can get away if I need to or that DH and I can be alone without one, two or all three of the kids. 

We don't have a TV in the room, and really only furniture we have in there is a bed and our dressers so there is no reason why they need to be in there. 

Since we moved into our new house they have almost 3000 sq ft to roam around in with a big yard so there is no reason why they need to be in the MB as well. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"