North Carolina Babies

Got our first box from The Produce Box!

We signed up for weekly produce deliveries from The Produce Box, and got our first box yesterday! You have two box options to choose from, then you can choose a "surprise" box, which is what we did. It had a head of romaine and leaf lettuce, 4 sweet potatoes, a quart of strawberries, a bunch of asparagus, a seedless cucumber, a bag of raw peanuts (which we'll roast), a sample of homemade salsa, and a recipe sheet. All the produce is from local farms.

I'm excited about this! I hope it helps us eat more fruits & veggies, be more creative with my cooking, and support local farms! I do need ideas of what to do with all that lettuce--salads, sandwiches, lettuce wraps? I hope we can eat it all! I'm bad about letting lettuce go bad.

On a side note, I have been excited to give Holly her first farm fresh ripe strawberry. She turned her nose up at it! (Well, made a face and threw it on the floor..hehe). DH and I will gladly eat them all. I'm not sure who this kid belongs to. :-)

Just thought I'd share!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

Re: Got our first box from The Produce Box!

• We got our first box last week & are looking fwd. to getting this weeks box in just a little while! And, randomly, the owner came into my work for lunch the other day.  :-)
  • We got our first box this week, too. The strawberries and the salsa were awesome. We're going to have salads tonight with all of that lettuce. DH is trying to figure out how he will use the kale we got, but there is a recipe included, so we may just try that. I love it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageuncjules:
    DH is trying to figure out how he will use the kale we got, but there is a recipe included, so we may just try that. I love it!

crispy kale!

• I got box A yesterday.  I spent a little over an hour washing lettuce and capping starwberries :)  Last night we grilled the Romaine lettuce.  ummmm YUMMY!  Today for part of my lunch I'm having a strawberry salad.  I think we'll probably have the asparagus tonight with dinner.  I love The Produce Box!
  • imagepoz:
    I got box A yesterday.  I spent a little over an hour washing lettuce and capping starwberries :)  Last night we grilled the Romaine lettuce.  ummmm YUMMY!  Today for part of my lunch I'm having a strawberry salad.  I think we'll probably have the asparagus tonight with dinner.  I love The Produce Box!

Grilled lettuce? Hmm Tell me more!

• imagekateland3:

imageuncjules:
    DH is trying to figure out how he will use the kale we got, but there is a recipe included, so we may just try that. I love it!

crispy kale!

Thanks! I passed it on to DH (the cook in our family!).

Poz, I am also very intrigued by grilled romaine...

• Hughes, that is really cool.  I hope you guys enjoy it!  I love fresh produce.  Your post about the strawberry reminded me of this weekend.  My dad was so excited to give DS a strawberry b/c he gave them to me when I was his age just to watch my awful expression.  However, DS loved them!  I'm surprised he didn't get sick from eating so many! 
  • I was wondering about doing this, is it $22 a week? I couldn't figure that out.
  • imagedbertagni:
    I was wondering about doing this, is it $22 a week? I couldn't figure that out.

Yes, $22/week for the smaller box,  plus a $10 startup fee. You can put it on hold temporarily, or stop it at anytime.

• dbert:  Its $10 startup and then $22 per box/week.  You could get just one box the whole season if you choose.  Its very flexible ex. vacations, not needed this week, etc.

Grilled Lettuce:  Take a heart of Romaine and slice it down the center (long ways).  Then brush both sides (front and back) with EVOO and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Toss on the grill (like medium heat, not like huge flames- just heat) and "grill" each side for 3-4 minutes.  Then sprinkle parm cheese, add a little caesar dressing and serve.  Delish.  The lettuce is warm which is a little unexpected- but it is SO good.  Like tasting the little bits of char.  It cooks it down- like what you see with cabbage- but it is SO good!

I also made a regular salad today, with lettuce, feta cheese, and strawberries with balsamic dressing.  Yummm!

• imagepoz:

dbert:  Its $10 startup and then $22 per box/week.  You could get just one box the whole season if you choose.  Its very flexible ex. vacations, not needed this week, etc.

Grilled Lettuce:  Take a heart of Romaine and slice it down the center (long ways).  Then brush both sides (front and back) with EVOO and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Toss on the grill (like medium heat, not like huge flames- just heat) and "grill" each side for 3-4 minutes.  Then sprinkle parm cheese, add a little caesar dressing and serve.  Delish.  The lettuce is warm which is a little unexpected- but it is SO good.  Like tasting the little bits of char.  It cooks it down- like what you see with cabbage- but it is SO good!

I also made a regular salad today, with lettuce, feta cheese, and strawberries with balsamic dressing.  Yummm!

Never thought I'd be jealous of lettuce, but I am!

• Why is there nothing like this is CLT?!  I'm jealous...
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagelaceysmom82:
    Why is there nothing like this is CLT?!  I'm jealous...

Oh - but there is!  

https://theabsoluteorganics.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm so jealous!  I really hope we can afford to do this next summer!
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecate1119:

imagelaceysmom82:

Oh - but there is!  

Very cool - thanks! Have you used them? Do you know of any CSA programs in Charlotte too? I found 1 but it was more towards Lake Norman, I didn't think they'd deliver to my area (Lake Wylie).

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagelaceysmom82:
    imagecate1119:

imagelaceysmom82:

Oh - but there is!  

Very cool - thanks! Have you used them? Do you know of any CSA programs in Charlotte too? I found 1 but it was more towards Lake Norman, I didn't think they'd deliver to my area (Lake Wylie).

We've used them in the past and really liked it.  We moved and then never restarted the service, but we've been meaning to do it!  My DH and I looked into a CSA with Poplar Ridge Farms - not sure of the specifics though - he did all the research on it, but I think it's down in your area. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"