Birth Stories

What do you think... Please don't read if you are going to be rude

Hey everyone.  I am TTC... so this isn't a birth story, sorry.  But... it is a post about when I do give birth... Does that count?  :-)

I am a small girl.  I am 5' even and weigh low 90's. (I am NOT bragging... I am NOT looking for attention.  Please don't give me any bad remarks for puting my weight... that is part of my question.)

I have had a lot of people say I will probably have to have a c-section.  Also, people are saying because of my size... I will probably not be able to carry full term!  C-section.. fine, no biggie.  I rather vaginal when the time comes but as long as the baby is healthy I don't care how they do it.  My worry is about not being able to carry full term. With my size... do you think I will have premies.  Will they be healthy.  Is my size puting my future babies at risk?!? 

I have a true worry about this... please let me know if you have any thoughts.  Especially any of you who are also small...

Thanks in advance and I hope I didn't bother you guys by posting a non-birth story.

Re: What do you think... Please don't read if you are going to be rude

• I don't think your size will matter that much. I have never had a baby but I asked my doctor about this too because we sound close in size. He said not to worry about it.

I have also had several friends who are about my size that actually carried over there due date and gave birth vaginal. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My MIL is just about 5 feet (if that) and she gave birth to 3 sons vaginally. 1 was a preemie but had nothing to do with her size.

I am 5'5, medium build, and I had a difficult labor to a healthy preemie. I have a narrow pelvic bone so he was kind of stuck up in there. I needed forceps to get him out. He was born at 4lbs9oz and had I gone full term, I would have needed a emergency c/s according to my OB because there was no way a larger baby would have come out vaginally.

So, in all honesty you may have a preemie, you may not. You may need a emergency c-section, you may not. But I do not think it is a given due to size.  

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks yall.  It really was starting to upset me that I could be the cause of harm to my future baby.  That really eases my mind a bit.  I really appreciate the answers.
  • You will make a baby that will fit your size.

It's actually a lot more rare that a person "can't" give birth vaginally - even when doctor's say so. There are a number of women who were told that they couldn't give birth vaginally by their doctor's and then go on to have perfectly fine pregnancies and vaginal births - even after c-section, and even with "large" babies (9+ pounds).

Your body is an amazing thing. I suggest you start reading about the incredible things your body CAN do, rather than worrying about what it might not be able to do. If you get pregnant, your body will change to accommodate that growing person in ways that are miraculous. You will nourish a whole person as they grow and develop inside you. These are not things to take lightly! By the time you are ready to give birth to this amazing person, I hope you are confident in your body's ability to do one of the easiest parts of the whole process - giving birth. By the time you get to that part, all the "hard" work is done - the hard work of building a whole person starting from two cells. Amazing! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageSissyKate21:

You will make a baby that will fit your size.

It's actually a lot more rare that a person "can't" give birth vaginally - even when doctor's say so. There are a number of women who were told that they couldn't give birth vaginally by their doctor's and then go on to have perfectly fine pregnancies and vaginal births - even after c-section, and even with "large" babies (9+ pounds).

Your body is an amazing thing. I suggest you start reading about the incredible things your body CAN do, rather than worrying about what it might not be able to do. If you get pregnant, your body will change to accommodate that growing person in ways that are miraculous. You will nourish a whole person as they grow and develop inside you. These are not things to take lightly! By the time you are ready to give birth to this amazing person, I hope you are confident in your body's ability to do one of the easiest parts of the whole process - giving birth. By the time you get to that part, all the "hard" work is done - the hard work of building a whole person starting from two cells. Amazing! 

First thing... Your baby is absolutely adorable!

Ok, that being said, lol... I have already started reading the books about what my body will be going through and what the baby will be doing week by week.  I am very excited to be in this process and I can't wait for God to bless me and my husband with a little bundle of joy.  I was in the room watching my goddaughter being born and you are right... the whole process, from 2 cells until birth is an absolute amazing thing.  Its just hard not to worry when you have enough people telling you something is going to happen... but, now that I've asked and got answers... I have something to tell the people when they tell me I can't do it.  :-)

• My sister is 5'2 and when she got pregnant she weighed 95 lbs. She had a beautiful baby girl with no problems at all. She was 3 weeks early, but she was healthy as she could be!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Ok my MIL is 5' and weighs about 110...my DH was 10lbs at birth....she had a C-section...that was 27 years ago, but who knows?
  • imageSoon_2B_MrsM:
    Ok my MIL is 5' and weighs about 110...my DH was 10lbs at birth....she had a C-section...that was 27 years ago, but who knows?

Holy Moly Cow

• There are a lot of ignorant people out there, that is the first thing.  Like pp said, it is much rarer than anyone thinks (including doctors) that a baby is too big to be born vaginally.  It does happen, but is definitely rare.  As for the question of having a preemie - I don't know about that.  I think more of an issue would be if you don't gain enough weight when pregnant, that can cause a low birth weight baby.  But that is another issue all together and it doesn't sound like it would be one you would face since you are concerned about doing the best for your baby's health.  

My cousin is just over 5' and weighed 105 lbs before pregnancy. She gained almost 50 lbs when pregnant!  That's crazy when you think it was 50% of her original body weight.  But she looked great, not fat at all.  And she gave birth vaginally to an 8 lb baby without drugs. It can be done!   

Ectopic pregnancy Aug. 2008, followed by a diagnosis of two blocked tubes.
    IVF#1 gave us a BFP on 8/24/09, DD born May 2010
    Surprise, natural BFP July 2012 ended in miscarriage 9/4/12 at 10w4d
    FET#1 January 2013
  • I am at 29weeks right now, am exactly 5' and weighed 97lbs pre-pregnancy.  While I can't say for sure how I will deliver, my doc has reassured me that a vaginal delivery should be no problem.  As for carrying the baby, no problems here!  We're both healthy and strong!  And I've only gained 17lbs to date! Don't underestimate what your body can do!  It's amazing!!!!! 
  • I should come to this board more often, lol.  I really appreciate all the answers and the fact that nobody was rude to me.

I usually post on the TTC board (for obvious reasons) but a lot of them have become horrible!  I mentioned that my husband wants a girl and someone jumped all over me... called my husband a douchebag and tried to start something saying "what if its a boy... would we get rid of it."...

The other day someone posted they wanted advice on TTC.  They said they were skinny 5'11 and only weighing 115.  Everyone jumped all over her saying she wasn't skinny, she shouldn't have put that (which is why I was worried) and they made her feel so bad that she deleted the post and almost everything in her profile.

Thanks for the NICE answers!

• No, no, no. Just because you are petite does NOT mean you will need a c-section or not carry to term. My sister is your exact stats and she had an 8.5 lb. baby vaginally. And even if you have a "narrow" pelvis it does not mean a c-section! Some women are physically incapable of delivering because of pelvis dysmorphia but it's rare and the only way to tell if you can or not is by a trial of labor! The pelvis expands to give birth, the baby's head molds to fit and if you opt for an optimal pushing position, like squatting- it can open up your pelvis by 25%!!!

I suggest you read, read, read as MUCH as you can get your hands on. And even if you will want an epi/drugs, it might not be a bad idea to get a doula. You can find one at dona.org. Also, this is a great site-

https://www.theunnecesarean.com/avoid-an-unnecesarean/

I suggest reading Ina May's book and Your Best Birth. No matter what route you choose once you do get pregnant (drugs/natural/induction/etc) i think the best thing you can do for yourself and your baby is to be informed!!! 

Good luck :) 

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Size really doesn't matter. As long as your healthy, weight shouldn't matter all that much. If your doctor tells you that you are underweight, then maybe they would have an action plan to have you gain more weight, but being healthy is the goal. Womans bodies are remarkable, and sometimes with skinnier woman, they are "all baby". And a doctor could possibly (not always) be able to tell you if they dont think your baby will be able to pass through your pelvis. I know even bigger people that I've known not to have a wide enough pelvis... Big people can have small bones too. So, sometimes its really not the size that matters.
  • My friend had her baby in November.  She is probably only a little bigger than you and went a week late and had a 9 pound maybe 2 oz.baby!  They had a very healthy pregnancy and the baby and Mom are doing great still.  Best of luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am 5'2 and prepregnancy weighed in the mid 90's and people tried telling me the same thing. I carried to term and had am amazing quick vaginal birth. The size of your body does not matter its all about the size of your pelvis! Good luck!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I just wanted to add that I have 2 friends who are very very petite.  One had 2 c-s and then a VBA2C and all her babies were term (41 weeks, 38 weeks, and 39 weeks).  The other friend had both her sons vaginally.  Her first son was over 8 lbs on his due date and her second was born at 41 weeks and was 9 lbs.

I am not quite as small as you, but I am not a large person either and I carried my daughter to term and had her vaginally.

I really think it is rare that you will have a baby your body can't handle.  Smile

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Yes, and as you will learn...everyone is full of advice and there are WAY TOO MANY know-it-all's out there who actually don't know a thing. It gets worse when you actually get pregnant, you will hear some of the dumbest comments in your life! So, take what you hear with a grain of salt. Your dr will guide you through everything. And even if you do end up having a c-section, you can still grow a perfectly healthy baby and have a full recovery. Don't worry, you will be just fine! GL! Hope to see your birth story on here one day! Smile
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My SIL is your size, maybe a bit lighter. She has had three children, all 7+ lbs, delivered vaginally (+ med free!).

• When I had my first, I started out at 92 lbs. and I round up to being 5' tall.  I gained 42 pounds total, I went twelve days past my due date, got induced, and had my 8 pound 4 ounce baby vaginally.  She was 20.5" long.  That was eleven years ago!  I am very pregnant right now with my second and I started out weighing more (comfy weight!) and have gained over thirty pounds so far.  I have a little over a month left to go unless she's late like the first!  I think being small might make us a little more uncomfortable than your average sized woman but really you'll be fine.  I was worried about this stuff with my first until I talked to my dr. as soon as I was pregnant.  And don't let anyone tell you that since you are small that you will have a small baby.
  • I'm 5'8" and pre-pregnancy weight is 110.  My first was a vaginal delivery.  And full term.

With my second, pre-pregnancy weight was 115.  Unrelated to my weight, my water broke at 23w5d and I was on hospital bed rest for 10 weeks, he was 7 weeks premature.

*~*Mommy to*~*
    BFP#1 Kaitlyn 11-17-04
    BFP #2 Matthew pPROM 23w5d 06-03-07, b/33 weeks 8-6-07, d/10-15-07 SIDS,
    BFP #3 m/c 8 weeks 2/20/09, BFP #4 m/c no hb 6w4d, m/c 9w4d, D&C 11w2d, BFP #5 C/P 12/18/09 after BFP- 9dpo
    BFP #6 Samantha- 11-9-10
    BFP #7 4/20/12 21 DPO beta: 2382 29 DPO beta: 23000! HB 6w2d 116 bpm due Christmas day!
    This Momma's Journey
    ~Today I am pregnant and I love my baby~ BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a friend who is 4'11" and pre pregnancy she weighed about 85 pounds. She is 40 weeks tomorrow so I doubt your small size will make it to where you cannot carry to term. GL.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm pretty little and I carried an 8lb8oz baby 5 days overdue and still delivered naturally.  ;D  I don't think it's worth worrying about!  There are lots of little women all over the world who have healthy, full-term babies.  Try to stay healthy and you'll do great! 
  • Carrying to term has more to do with health (yours & baby's) than size. Many, many small statured women have very healthy, full term pregnancies. GL.

PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Did I mention yet that you people are totally awesome?  I can't believe I asked that question and didn't get a single rude response!  NOT that I wanted one, lol... just that when I (and most people) ask a question on the TTC board all hell breaks loose!

Thanks so much.  It is the perfect time of the month for me to try (ignore the ticker... my ov days are 11 and 12 of my cycle) so maybe I'll be on this board soon for other reasons...

• imagePrincessLinLin:
    I have a friend who is 4'11" and pre pregnancy she weighed about 85 pounds. She is 40 weeks tomorrow so I doubt your small size will make it to where you cannot carry to term. GL.

This is almost me ... I am 4'10'' I am preggo with my first and so far everything has been great. I do not know how my delivery will go but my mom is my same height and pre-preg she weighed 80lbs ... she has delivered 7 kids vaginally the heaviest being 11lbs ... so can it be done? Yes, my mother is living proof of it, I hope I am as strong as her! GL

• Hey, I am 4"9 and have not been told that i should anticipate any problems. My cousin who is also 4"9 has had 4 kids that are perfectly o.k. Good luck! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image
  • I am really late in responding but I thought I would share. My grandmother was about 5' tall and only ever weighed over 100 lbs while she was pregnant. She had 3 healthy babies including my father and his twin! I am not much bigger and my OB is not concerned as long as I gain enough weight (between 25 and 30 lbs). 

If you are really concerned, talk to your OB/GYN at your next annual check up.  

• I encourage everyone to read - if you can find it - a book called "Lady's Hands, Lion's Heart: A Midwifes Saga."  It's the true story of a midwife and many of her deliveries.  She tells stories about all kinds of women who, in this day and age would've been sedated and sliced open.  But when you step back and allow the body to do what it was meant to do, it will get the job done.  I'm certainly not saying there isn't a place and time for medical intervention - I'm glad we live in an age where they're available to us.  But I definitely feel doctors are too quick to intervene. Good luck to you!!
  • imagetoniabaker:

I should come to this board more often, lol.  I really appreciate all the answers and the fact that nobody was rude to me.

I usually post on the TTC board (for obvious reasons) but a lot of them have become horrible!  I mentioned that my husband wants a girl and someone jumped all over me... called my husband a douchebag and tried to start something saying "what if its a boy... would we get rid of it."...

The other day someone posted they wanted advice on TTC.  They said they were skinny 5'11 and only weighing 115.  Everyone jumped all over her saying she wasn't skinny, she shouldn't have put that (which is why I was worried) and they made her feel so bad that she deleted the post and almost everything in her profile.

Thanks for the NICE answers!

Off topic, but how can anyone say that someone who is 5'11" and 115 lbs. isn't skinny? That's just stupid.

Those TTC women can be nasty. I feel sorry for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"