Baby Showers

Baby Shower Dilemma

I need your advice. My sister-in-law is pregnant. It isn't her first, but it is the first for her and my brother and our family. What is the etiquitte do you have a baby shower for her or not? I have no idea what the right thing is to do. 

TTGP March siggy challenge - a famous woman who inspires me.
image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Married Oct. 2008
E - Born December 22, 2011
TTC #2

Re: Baby Shower Dilemma

• How old is her other child?  If they are really close in age, I would consider not throwing one.  If they are far a part, then I would say it is appropriate for your side to offer one for your brother to take part in the celebration too.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If it's enough of a concern for you to ask about it, then it's probably not really done where you are.  By all means offer to host a no-gifts tea or luncheon to celebrate.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would ask your family, and people close to you their opinion, you would get a better idea of what is customary where you live. You could always do a small sprinkle with close freinds and family as well. 
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • I don't think there is one "right" thing to do.  It depends on your family.  You'll probably get a better idea of whether or not it would be well received by talking to them.  But, if you want to host one, and she wants to have one, I see no problem.
  • It's the first for your brother so of course your family can have a shower in their honor.  It's nice of you to offer!
  • I would suggest a small shower limited to your family and your family's close friends.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think it would be very appropriate to have a co-ed shower for your brother with family and friends.  I wouldn't go over-the-top, and I'd keep it a little on the small/informal side (I don't think it would be appropriate to invite her entire extended family and friend group who have probably been through this before).  I also suggest co-ed since you are coming at it from the father's side of the family and the idea is that it is his first baby.

If the children will be close in age and she already has a lot of baby things, you could host it more as a no-gifts celebration than a traditional shower, or have a diaper shower.

• In these instances, if she would be comfortable inviting her family and friends again, then I would say it's fine.  If not, just do a more intimate sprinkle.
  • I think you could/should throw a shower for your side of the family.  If she chooses to register, she could just put down gender specific things or things she really needs. 
    Cricket's Cadence
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Throw her a shower! She's not going to need a lot of the stuff first timers would, but any excuse to gather family and do something is great. I've heard of diaper showers for families with more than one child. Everyone brings like a diaper cake. It may be cute to have everyone bring childrens books as gift. This is still a celebration for the family, so go for it!
  • i say to throw her a shower.. the shower isnt for her, its for her baby.. so who cares if she has a kid already. it would be for stuff the baby needs...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"