South Florida Babies

telling the sex of the baby

So, DH wants to find out the sex, but wants to keep it a secret.  He wants to keep friends and family in suspense.  However, he was the first one posting the pregnancy on FB not long after the BFP.  I wanted to wait a little longer with the pregnancy announcement.  But by the time we find out the sex I'll be almost 20 weeks, so I don't need to wait to tell the sex.  We both agree on keeping possible names to ourselves for as long as possible so others' don't start giving opinions, but I find it strange that he wants to keep the sex to ourselves. 

Did you guys tell the sex to others right away?  Did you keep them in suspense? 

Re: telling the sex of the baby

• We told right away. We found out on our 2 year wedding anniversary and went and bought a cake that said, "It's a Girl!" That night we had our parents and my brother and his gf over for dinner and before we sat down to eat, as soon as everyone was there, we had our two moms open the box with the cake to see that we were having a girl. We called everyone else (other family members and friends) throughout the day between the time of the ultrasound and dinner.

Finding out was so exciting! I still remember that moment perfectly. We didn't find out we were pregnant together (I tested alone since I was expecting a negative) so that moment of finding out the sex together at the same time was extremely special :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We told everyone within a few days of finding out. I was too excited about having a girl to keep it in long. I ended up writing letters to everyone from the baby and signed her name at the end and that's how everyone found out it was a girl. Obviously, you won't be telling people the possible names but it's so much fun revealing the sex. I remember this blog post about a girl who had a sex reveal party and she asked everyone to come in the color they thought the sex was (I think it was yellow for boy and pink for girl) and then she told everyone the sex.
  • Loading the player...
  • It was the opposite for us.  We found out together.  It was Valentine's Day and I thought I was late b/c of the stress of house closing.  So, I went and bought a couple of tests before our V-day outing.  It was really nice to find out together.  IDK if he'll be able to make it to the appointment for the anatomy u/s yet.  So, he may not be there for that =(

I guess I felt like I wanted to keep it to ourselves a little longer when he was shouting it to the world that I was pregnant and now I want to tell everyone the sex and he wants to keep it to himself, lol. 

• imageMrsJOSEnADRI:

It was the opposite for us.  We found out together.  It was Valentine's Day and I thought I was late b/c of the stress of house closing.  So, I went and bought a couple of tests before our V-day outing.  It was really nice to find out together.  IDK if he'll be able to make it to the appointment for the anatomy u/s yet.  So, he may not be there for that =(

I've seen other bloggers in the same situation.  So they asked the tech to write it down in an envelope (sp) and seal it.  Then when the couple is together, they open the envelope and find out together.  I thought it was sweet.  : )

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We told everyone but we kept name choices to ourselves except for close family/friends.  People just have too many opinions.

I went in for surgery on my hand and found out I was pregnant with my daughter-- so a HUGE surprise for us. But he was the 1st one I called.. LOL My mom was with me and I didn't even tell her. Of course I think I was in shock.  He was with me when we found out she was a girl and we didn't keep it a secret.  Of course I wasn't FBing back then so it was word of mouth. :)

With DS I was in a car accident and was taken to the ER, I was 16 weeks and they were able to see that he was a he.. :) So I didn't know I was going to find out that day.

And since I have one of each I would like to think that if/when I have another I would like to wait and not find out but who knows if I could do it..

• imagecocojack10:
    imageMrsJOSEnADRI:

It was the opposite for us.  We found out together.  It was Valentine's Day and I thought I was late b/c of the stress of house closing.  So, I went and bought a couple of tests before our V-day outing.  It was really nice to find out together.  IDK if he'll be able to make it to the appointment for the anatomy u/s yet.  So, he may not be there for that =(

I've seen other bloggers in the same situation.  So they asked the tech to write it down in an envelope (sp) and seal it.  Then when the couple is together, they open the envelope and find out together.  I thought it was sweet.  : )

Great idea!  Thanks!!!  I know I'll probably be analyzing the screen myself during the u/s, but this would be a great way to find out together.  I can also get a DVD of the u/s and then open up the envelope together. 

• imageLizC78:

We told everyone but we kept name choices to ourselves except for close family/friends.  People just have too many opinions.

I went in for surgery on my hand and found out I was pregnant with my daughter-- so a HUGE surprise for us. But he was the 1st one I called.. LOL My mom was with me and I didn't even tell her. Of course I think I was in shock.  He was with me when we found out she was a girl and we didn't keep it a secret.  Of course I wasn't FBing back then so it was word of mouth. :)

With DS I was in a car accident and was taken to the ER, I was 16 weeks and they were able to see that he was a he.. :) So I didn't know I was going to find out that day.

And since I have one of each I would like to think that if/when I have another I would like to wait and not find out but who knows if I could do it..

Liz, wow!  I can't believe you found out about both pg's that way.  We also figure that if we have more than 2 kids, then we'll wait and let the sex be a surprise. 

• We went to go see Dr. K for my 16 week appt. and ended up having a surprise u/s that day. Thankfully Alexis goes to all the appt's so he was there. I saw that it was a boy before the tech told us. We started calling family the minute we left the appt. None of or family lives here so phone call was about as creative as we could get :)

If it was up to Alexis we wouldn't have found out. He wanted it to be a surprise. It would have been ruined anyway because this kid is always exposing his goods.

I really wanted to know what to shop for etc. I'm not a fan of the gender neutral stuff so knowing pink or blue was a must!

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • We told everyone right away. What we did was take the ultrasound video to our parents house and showed it to them. At the end of the video, the tech typed in "It's a Boy". We called other family and friends that could not watch the video.

It's kind of nice to share a secret between you and your hubby and not have anyone else know for a while. That's what we did with the pregnancy. We were way too excited to find out what we where having so we had to let everyone else know. DH went with me to every single appointment. He was there for the antatomy ultrasound. I do have to say that the big reveal at the was kind of anti-climatic, since another ultrasound tech had already told us he thought we were having a boy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We told as soon as we left the drs office!! I was dying to know and I know that my family wanted to know so I didn't make them wait.  Both my parents happened to have the day off that day so when i called the house they put the phone on speaker and I told them both at the same time.
    image image

• AlbahAlbah member
    We told people the sex right away as well! Most people knew how far along I was at that point and were bugging me to know the sex. lol ;)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• As soon as we left the dr's office we called our parents and SIL and then I posted on FB and Twitter! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• Ideally, I would like to do something cute to announce the genders to the family, and love Jen's idea of the cake announcement.

Dh and I are def finding out the sexes... we are both impatient and wouldn't be able to wait until delivery!  LOL  And we dont' mind sharing w/ others right away.  I personally wouldn't want to announce the names once settled, but I know DH is so indecisive, that once we narrow down names, he's going to ask everyone and their mother for opinions!  We'll see.

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We waited a while to announce the pregnancy (we only told our parents when we found out...we told siblings and grandparents after u/s confirmation...and everyone else after 10 weeks or so).

Anyhow, DH went to all of my appts with me, so we found out the sex together. I had originally wanted to wait until delivery to find out, but as they say...curiosity killed the cat & I was just waay too impatient. Picking boy & girl bedding is HARD! (ask Cynthia, we were OBSESSED! lol) Anyway, we told the sex right away. I called my best friend and had her deliver "It's a Girl" & pink balloons with strawberry cupcakes & a card from Carley to our parents since everyone lives in Miami and we're in VA. I thought it was a cute way to surprise them. Oh, and we told the name right away...I'm a HUGE fan of monograms and personalizing everything, so waiting to tell wasn't an option. & I never heard any names complaints, so I guess they like it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"