Preemies
Options

Has anyone had experience with IVH?

Hi. I just found out my baby has a brain bleed. Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this area or if you know anyone who's child has had bleeding in the brain while in the NICU.

Tyra

Re: Has anyone had experience with IVH?

• Options

Hello Tyra. My baby (born at 30 w 5 days) had a level 1 bleed on the edge of both ventricles. Waiting to check whether the bleed was resolving or getting worse was one of the most dark experiences of our lives. The doctor was very surprised she had the bleed as she was doing very well clinically. The best thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on IVH (but dont freak yourself out)

Please talk to your doctor about the IVH. What is the severity of the bleed (level 1 being mild and level 4 being the worst)? Bleeds usually manifest within 72 hours of birth and if they are going to get worse, usually get worse within 5-7 days of birth. If bleeds do not get worse within the 7 day time frame, they usually will not increase.

Our daughter's first ultrasound was done within 72 hours where the bleed was found and then a repeat within the next 4 days which showed a decrease in the bleed. We were reassured that Level 1 bleeds are usually mild and most babies have no lasting effects on development or cognitive growth. 6 weeks later, the bleed was resolved on one side and resolving on the other. The last ultrasound was done on the day of discharge.

Ofcourse, depending on the severity of the bleed, there are certain consequences for the baby. That being said, I know of a baby who had a level 3 bleed and is just fine at 3 years old.

Sending you and your baby lots of positive energy and support.

• Options
    My son had a grade 4 bleed, but they believe he also had a stroke in utero.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"