Pregnant after 35
Options

XP Sept Board-Upsetting U/S

I had the big u/s today, and before these, we were given an "abnormal" down syndrome rating of 1:116.  During the u/s, he said she has a choroid plexus cyst in her head, that is also another indicator.  He said, now our risk is somewhere around 1:75.  All other indicators are normal.  I'm so upset... the doctor even said, he would not recommend doing the amnio now, as it's better not to take the risk so early.  He said we could do one at 34 weeks, and that way if the amnio cause pre-term labor, at least the baby could survive.

I'm just heartbroken, I don't know what to do.  I want nothing more than a healthy baby.  I'm at a loss on what to do, or even stop myself from worrying about this. 

Re: XP Sept Board-Upsetting U/S

• Options

Sorry your u/s was not great. I think it is better to wait for the amnio too, because I have been quoted 2 different numbers 1:99, or 1:200. For preterm labor.

Would your baby having downs change your mind about whether or not you keep it or is it just for confirmation yes or no?  You can always get a second opinion and get an amino somewhere else.

You can also talk to indiana sunshine on the 0-3 board.  She had a downs baby in Jan, and he is absolutely adorable!

Sorry I can't do anything to ease your mind, I hope you can soon.

• Options
    I should have added that we will not do anything with the baby if this is the case.  I think we just want to be prepared.  I want to stop worrying one way or another, and it just seems like I everytime there is something else.  I did find a good study from Harvard about it, and if she doesn't have any other markers (and she doesn't), that it's a good sign she's ok.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hang in there!  Of course every baby is different, but those odds don't necessarily mean your baby will be DS.  

I had a perfect NT Scan, but the bloodwork came back 1:5 for Downs.  During the 20w U/S, we had no indications of problems, so we rolled the dice and declined the amnio.   Sure we prayed and worried and educated ourselves as best we could about Downs.

In the end, we had a perfect baby boy.  So even a 1:5 means there's an 80% chance everything's fine.  If you do the math, it makes it sound a whole lot less scary.  1:75 is just over 1%.  I'd take those odds in Vegas for sure!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I understand how you feel. A few weeks ago I came up with 1:116 for Downs. I freaked out at first but then thought that there can be alot worse problems then Down's. I did go for a follow up ultrasound and the baby has no other markers. I chose not to do the amnio.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

If you wouldn't do anything differently and don't need to know for sure then I would just let things be and try to relax and not stress and worry too much. Keeping busy helps me with stress and worry.

I'm a need to know person and would opt for the amnio. I'm confused on why your doctor wants to wait longer to do one at all? If you see a qualified and experience doctor for the amnio there really is very little risk.

I am a Wonder-Mom!
    DD#1 - January 2008
    DD#2 - September 2010
  • Options
    go read jessi almost loftin post on sept board about the chroid plexus cyst. Might be of some help. T&Ps to you
  • Options

I'm so sorry that your U/S was upsetting!  My own risk of Downs came back as 1:64 after our NT scan and first tri bloodwork. We opted to have the amnio because I have to be prepared and would never have been able to relax during my entire pregnancy.  The ultrasound that they did along with the amnio showed no visible markers but we still needed to know for sure, so we had the amnio a little over a week ago, when I was 16 weeks.

I agree with Lynda Carter; if you need to know I would consider having the amnio done now.  My own doctors were not the least bit discouraging about having it done this early in pregnancy, and I believe it is very common to have it done between weeks 16-21. 

All that said, I also felt a ton better when the doctor pointed out that 1:64 odds is better than 98% chance of everything being okay.  I wish they would give you the risks that way instead of using the ratios, which sound so much scarier.

I hope everything turns out okay for you!! 

Eleanor Paige, born 3/27/08 Noah Christopher, born 10/2/10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I also decided to have the amnio. NT scan came back at 1:32. It is not as scary as everyone makes it out to be, doesn't hurt a bit and is over in 15 seconds. 

I would have drove myself more crazy not knowing for the next 4 months, so I glad I did it, and so is my OB.

The hardest part is waiting 2wks for the results. 

Current stats for a m/s from an amnio are 1:600, after 15wks. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"