Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Do people buy used car seats/bases on Craigslist?

I'd like to try to sell the seat and three bases from our travel system, but I'm wondering if people tend to buy these used. They're almost two years old. What's your experience?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do people buy used car seats/bases on Craigslist?

• People will buy them. I'd honestly never recommend buying used seats/bases, though because- even though YOU as the seller know they've never been an accident- the buyer can never truly know that. IMO, car seats are not the thing to try to save money on by buying used.
  • I sold mine but it was the toughest thing to sell.  I believe my graco bases and the carrier went for $5 (each) at most.  But I was just happy to get rid of them.
  • Loading the player...
  • I know, I wouldn't have wanted to buy used. Still, I'm not sure what else to do with them, since Goodwill won't take them, I guess for that very reason--you'd never know if they'd been damaged. I guess it's worth offering them for sale at a very low price....?
  • imageemiliemadison:
    People will buy them. I'd honestly never recommend buying used seats/bases, though because- even though YOU as the seller know they've never been an accident- the buyer can never truly know that. IMO, car seats are not the thing to try to save money on by buying used.

I completely agree with this. 

someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • If they are safe, sell them. Someone with low income needs an affordable carseat. It's better for them to buy your seat (if it's safe) than another questionable seat or no seat at all.

W (02/2009), N (08/2012), and C (04/2014)
  • i had noproblems selling mine.  I sold my chicco travel system for 180.  It was only a year old
  • I sold our Grace Snugride with base a few months ago on Craigslist.  I had multiple people interested, and it sold within one day of posting.  I sold it for $65.  I think people will definitely be interested in buying your carseat, especially these days when everyone is tightening their wallet. 
  • imageJAWMIN:
    If they are safe, sell them. Someone with low income needs an affordable carseat. It's better for them to buy your seat (if it's safe) than another questionable seat or no seat at all.

This.

I wouldn't buy a used car seat from someone I didn't know (although I would accept/buy one from someone I knew and trusted).  But there are people who need car seats and can't afford to buy them at full price.  If you know you are selling one that isn't expired and has never been in an accident and that you believe to be safe... give it a shot.

I've seen some really nasty car seats on my city's craigslist before.  Seriously, there are like, 5 a day.  They are old and expired and sometimes they are missing pieces.  I would rather there were better options on there and people were buying those (although I am telling myself that no one is buying the nasty ones).

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ::whispers::  I bought a second base off CL.  It was manufactured the same year as my travel system.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"