D.C. Area Babies
Options

Babysitter issues. What would you do?

So my in home daycare provider told me on Friday that she was going to take 6 weeks vacation beginning July thru mid August.  My jaw literally dropped.  We've been going to her for about 2 years and she's never taken this amount of time off at once.  Luckily, I work PT so I only take DS to her on Tues, Wed and Thurs from 7 - 4:30.  My husband and I are trying to figure out what to do.    Has anyone else experienced something like this.   What did you do?  If I find a replacement sitter is it easier to get someone to come to my house or take him to another in home provider?  Do some daycare centers take children short term?  Do you have any recommendations in the Kingstowne area?   He starts preschool in Sept.  That's why I would only need someone short term.  Maybe it's just easier to take a leave of absence from work.  I don't know?  Thanks for any suggestions.  :)

Re: Babysitter issues. What would you do?

• Options

wow, is she getting married and going on a really long honeymoon?

is she doing some kind of a service vacation? Like Habitat for Humanity or with some religious organization?

the good news is that she gave you 2.5 mo notice. I think you should plan a family vacation during that time, too. That should eat up a week. Can family members cover another 2-3 weeks?

good luck!

• Options
    Check into some of the daycare centers near Kingstowne.  Our center does summer camps.  I am not sure what age they start at...just a thought. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

She's from Russia and said she hasn't visited in a really long time.  I just figured if you ran a business regardless of what it is, you don't just up and go on an extended vacation.  Oh well, at least you're right, 2 1/2 months is a decent notice.  Unfortunately, we've already scheduled a family vacation out west in May.  I do think my MIL will be able to watch him 2 of the 6 weeks so that will help a bit.  Oh, I didn't think of summer camps.  Great idea.  Thanks.

• Options
    When I was interviewing in home providers, one person I interviewed didn't think it was a big deal that she went back to her home country every summer for two months.  Perhaps she specialized in children of teachers.  It was a deal breaker for me.  I think there are a lot of daycare providers that have openings in the summer because of teachers pulling their children out and family vacations.  Can you ask your provider if she has any recommendations as well?  I would not want to take unpaid leave because you never know what will happen in life and I would want to reserve that flexibility for an emergency.   
  • Options

The only other suggestion I have is, have you already checked to see if you have access to emergency back-up care through your employer?  I was surprised to learn it's part of our benefits package, since it's not really advertised.  But we can use something like 20 days a year at a DC center near my office on short notice. 

Oh, and have you posted anything on the DC Urban Moms message boards?  You might be able to pick up a short-term nanny share or something. 

Also, what about advertising for a college student or responsible high school student (if you would be comfortable with either of those)?

• Options
    I think you could easily find someone to come to your home through SitterCity.  There will be teachers and college students on break looking for a temporary gig.  Every time I've put a job up on there I've received a ton of applications, and had a choice of several very qualified candidates.
  • Options

My DD goes to school in Kingstowne and they do summer camps as well although registration was a while ago so it may be filled up by now but it is worth checking around.

-LH

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"