South Florida Babies

when people nickname your child...

Do you get annoyed when people give your child a nickname?

I do. I don't know if that's obnoxious.... but I named my child Zachary, not Zach/Zak/Zack, Zachster, Z-man, or anything else that people want to call him.

I always call him Zachary, write out his name as Zachary, and never refer to him by any other name but Zachary. Occasionally, I call him "Zachy" but that is MY baby name for him - no one else is allowed to call him that. Even my husband doesn't use that one. I only allow TWO people in our family to call him Zach: my dad and my MIL. Everyone else calls him Zachary.

I don't know why people think it's okay to give my child another name just because it's a child. No one does that to adults!

Every time someone calls him Zach I just want to say something but I have to hold back.

Anyone else feel this way? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

Re: when people nickname your child...

• My opinion on the matter is that people will always shorten a name when given the opportunity. So when you pick your child's name you have to think about what the nicknames are and if you are ok with them.

My family was calling her Zo-zo for a while and it irked me, but i didn't say anything and it eventually stopped cause it just sounds dumb!  Zach is a pretty normal nickname for Zachary. You can tell people you prefer using his full name, but I'm sure eventually in his life lots of people will be calling him Zach!

• Jake's full legal name is just that, "Jake". yet people actually call him Jacob sometimes which annoys me because that isn't his name so I can definitely relate
  • Loading the player...
  • One of the reasons I chose the name Alexis was because I really liked Lexi as a nickname.  After she was born, I have never referred to her as Lexi, always Alexis because I really like it.  She knows her name is Alexis when you ask her.  However, a few of my friends call her Lexi and my mom will sometimes call her Lexi-poo.  I don't mind it b/c I assume eventually that will be her nickname - like MelD said you have to assume that a name will be shortened when naming your child and take that into consideration.  Even if people don't do it now, once he gets to school, his friends will give him a nickname.  I don't know that I will ever call her Lexi, but I'm ok if other people do.  My close friends have always called me Lee and yet I have never introduced myself that way or thought of it as my name, but I answer to it :)
    image image

• I know what you mean! People CONSTANTLY ask me "what do you call him though?" and I say "his name: Abraham!". I don't mind people shortening it because I knew it would happen, but I hate when people tell me things like "omg you call him his full name? that's so strange". HELLO THAT'S WHAT WE NAMED HIM!!
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • ok, don't take this the wrong way but get over that now because once your kid is in school people will call him whatever he allows them to call him!

I named my kids Nathaniel and Sebastian and honestly, it's not hurting them or me for them to be called : Nate, NayNay, Nathan or Seb, Sebas, Sebby,... Sebastian told us today that he preferred to be called Sebby rather than Sebastian.

My name is Virginia and no one has ever ever ever called me Ginny, until recently and honestly, I really don't care as long as you don't call me a b!tch!

• Hate to tell you, but It's going to happen. I'm not a big fan of nicknames - but that's just me.  With a name like Zachary - it's going to happen.  As he gets older he can tell people what he likes but don't be surprised if all of his friends call him Zach. 

It's one (of many) reason we went with Lynda.  I like any and all associated nicknames.  I'll always call her Lynda but won't be upset if she's called Lynn or Lynnie.  This was one of the reasons we had a next to impossible time coming up with a boy name that we liked and liked all nickname versions.

A friend from high school's name was Alexander and we all called him Alex and some people even called him Al.  His mom would actually correct us on the phone if we called and asked for "Alex or Al".  It's really annoying - kind of like - if he didn't want to be called that he would tell us.  

IMO - life's too short for this to bother you since you can't control what other people say and do.  Please just try to not correct his friends when he's older - let him if he's not happy. 

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • when DH was little people would try to get away with calling him "Nicky" (his name is Nicholas). One of Nick's elementary school teachers called him Nicky once and Nick very matter-of--fact said "my mom says that my name is not Nicky. My name is Nicholas"

He was able to avoid Nicky as a nickname, but "Nick" pretty much stuck & that's what most people call him today (including his parents...unless he's in trouble Wink)

Like the other girls said, once Zachary starts school, avoiding a nickname will be very difficult. For some reason, people have a tendency to shorten names (guilty) & the shorter name is usually what sticks.

• I bite my tongue when I hear nicknames given to my kids b/c I'm not a fan of them. Maybe b/c I didn't really have a nickname (well, my siblings call me "Tan" but that's it).

Cedric is short enough that it didn't really occur to me that he would get a nickname, but I've heard people say "Ceddie," and I'm not a huge fan of that.  Nonetheless, like the others have said, I had to get over it b/c that will happen.  I just always call him Cedric and always introduce him as Cedric.  Occasionally, we'll call him "Cedri" or "Cedrino" (with the ~ on the n), but usually just Cedric.  I figure when he's older he can decide if he prefers a nickname.  We even gave him a simpler middle name (Martin) in case he doesn't like Cedric at all. 

I was kind of surprised when people asked immediately, "what are you going to call him" right after we named him.  We were like, "Uh, Cedric."

For Graciela, I knew that she would get "Gracie" and I don't mind it, but I much prefer Graciela.  I took her to a partner of our pediatrician for a sick visit a few weeks ago, and the doctor called her "Gracie," which I found a bit odd, actually.  I didn't say anything, though.

• This is exactly why Sophia is not named Victoria. I dislike Vicky and Tori in a big way. I named her a name whose nicknames I liked almost as much as her real name because people will nickname and shorten. Its our nature as humans. Just Friday night my sister's friend referred to her as Sophia and a short while later heard one of us call her Sophie. She immediately looked contrite and said, "I'm sorry. Her name is Sophie, not Sophia?" Abel and I answered at the same time, "we call her both." Honestly, I use Sophie more. LOL. Sophia is more for when she is in trouble lately.

Its up to you what you call your son....but trying to control what other people call him will only cause you frustration.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's what happens...I'm okay with nicknames, they don't really bother me.  But the first time I heard a teacher call Chelsea JUST Chels, I have to admit, I was taken back by it.  I don't like it, I don't say anything, but people are going to shorten names.  I take it as a sign of affection.

We love the name Eli for Elijah.  I almost always call him by his full name.  And for Benjamin - there are so many shorten versions of his name like Ben, Benny, Benji - we prefer Benji.  People at least ask us what his nickname is and don't just pick the one they like best.  Don't get frustrated - look at the positive side of it - it could very well be, as I said, I sign of affection. 

ETA: Just remembered, a friend of mine's daughter has always been called Lilly, short for Lillian.  We were at a playdate this weekend and I said, "Hi Lilly!' she corrected me by saying, "Mellllly, my name is Lillian." LOL!  I looked at her mom and she says,"Yep. She told me a couple days ago she prefers to be called Lillian." She's five. I apologized to lttle Ms. Lillian and will call her that from now on.  Had to share...

• My name is NICOLE

My mom always taught me that my name was Nicole ad not to let anyone call me anything else.

**sidenote: as a matter of fact, she had a very funny way of correcting people...she would tell them VERY FRANKLY..."I didn't name her after a  stripper! Her name is NICOLE" (i guess to her that's why she may not have liked "nikki") 

So I agree with teaching children to say : my mom says that my name is not Nicky. My name is Nicholas 

As a matter of fact, my 2nd son's name is nicolas and I can't imagine calling him anything else. 

But I do know he will eventually have a preference, I can only hope by teaching him the above he will come to prefer it too...

HTH 

Nicole MOM 2 MARIO & NICOLAS
  • imageMellyMelB:

This is exactly why Sophia is not named Victoria. I dislike Vicky and Tori in a big way. I named her a name whose nicknames I liked almost as much as her real name because people will nickname and shorten. Its our nature as humans. Just Friday night my sister's friend referred to her as Sophia and a short while later heard one of us call her Sophie. She immediately looked contrite and said, "I'm sorry. Her name is Sophie, not Sophia?" Abel and I answered at the same time, "we call her both." Honestly, I use Sophie more. LOL. Sophia is more for when she is in trouble lately.

Its up to you what you call your son....but trying to control what other people call him will only cause you frustration.

omg I LOATHE "Vicky" and "Tori" with a passion!! Luckily not many people nickname me.. I get a couple of Vickys, a few Vics and "Veronica" all the time.. but I've always gone by Victoria my whole life. Hate hate hate the shortened version

• I was just thinking about this the other day b/c it is in school where most kids get their nicknames.  Some teachers love to give kids nicknames, but I always felt like it was more respectful to call them by their full name.  To me, I'm the adult-figure in the room so if they want to call each other by nicknames that's up to them.  But, I prefer to call them by their full name - sometimes with last name, too, since I expect them to call me Ms. ___ and not teacher.  The only time I call kids by nicknames is when they would ask me to or if there were several kids with the same name and so I used a nickname to differentiate between them (like Michael and Mike). 

That said, my name is Adriana and I like being called Adri.  When I'm called by my full name I feel like I'm going to get scolded.  My parents have their own nicknames for me, but I know that if they called me Adriana then I knew they were going to be mad at me or they were going to have a serious talk with me.

I guess that's why I mostly like short names that don't really have nicknames, like Elise and Ethan.  DH thinks that kids may use Eli for the nickname Elise which I wouldn't mind, but I don't think so since that's usually a nickname for Elizabeth and I'm sure she'll encounter another Elizabeth in her class. 

Either way, like pp have mentioned it's very common for people to give kids nicknames.  It's a term of endearment and they don't mean any harm.  So, it will be a losing battle to try to correct everyone.  The only way it won't happen is if the kid himself/herself asks others to call them by their full name. 

• My husband and I are not the biggest fan of nicknames and it's funny because we've always had them. For most of my life, I've been called "Al" or by my maiden last name. My husband was always called by a shorter version of his name (in childhood) or his last name too. When we got pregnant with Quinn, we wanted a name that it would be hard to give a nickname too. Ha, that did not last long. So many of our family members call him "Q" and daycare calls him "Quinnie." It used to really bother me but I'm pretty much over it now. By the way, schools and daycares end up nicknaming everyone! Almost every kid in Quinn's class has a nickname because some of their names are tough and they start calling them something else (i.e. Chloe is Coco, Joseph is Jo, etc). Our next son will have a short name too which we think is pretty nickname proof, but you never know ;-)
    I think that as long as you call him Zachary and teach him that it is his name, that's really the best that you can do.
  • I don't like "Jon" and will correct someone if they call him that. Johnny is ok but really most people tend to call him by what I do so all of my friends and family call him Jonathan or J.

If it bothers you, you tell them and they will (or should) stop. my SIL has an Alexander and hates Alex so she corrects ppl over and over again if they call him Alex. Also, you can teach your child to correct people, if he see's it bothers you and you teach him to tell people his full name then people in school will do it.

My name is very difficult to pronouce and Mimi just came about when i was 16 and started working, i came up with that nickname myself LOL. Until i was 16, everyone had to learn to call me Mirielle.

• Ooops! My name is written all over this one hehehehe.

I have called Zachary "Zach" sometimes when I am replying to a post just because its shorter to write, so I am guilty as charged. I am sorry if it bothers you but that was not my intention. From now on I will call him only Zachary. By the way, I spoke with my friend about the nanny last night and I am going to send you a FB message about it right now. She even has a referral. See you on FB, byeee

• Oh, I beg to differ... lol, they totally do that to adults!  I've never been called "Jen."  I've always been "Jenny."  My mom HATED the nickname Jen, so it was never used.  The past few years, however, people have started calling me Jen, even though I introduce myself as Jenny.  I don't mind it at all, though!  My mom still hates it lol 

• Nikki is the name of a stripper????
  • imagebritishbride05:
    Nikki is the name of a stripper????

I was surprised by this, too. All the ones I know are named Jasmine or Candy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMellyMelB:

imagebritishbride05:

How many strippers do you know, Mel ;)  You forgot Bambi

My little cousin is Nicole and she has been Nikki since before she was born, I don't think its a stripper name either.  

image image

• Yeah, people are always going to want to shorten names. It sucks, but I don't think it's rude.

I've been Eli since I was born. When i was little and people would try to call me Liz or Lizzie, my mom would politely tell them that if they wanted to use a nickname for me, they could use ELI because she didn't like Liz.

imageimage

Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It's a matter of personal preference and I know you might not like nicknames but it will happen.  It's best to let it roll off your back from now but correct people when it's someone who matters and will be addressing your son in the future.

PS - my sister's legal name is Nikki.  My oldest sister is Lindy.  My parents were total hippies but my sisters definitely aren't strippers.

• Oh, Karina, I wasn't talking about you!! I just had like 3 people I had never met before call him "Zach" after I introduced him as "Zachary" and it really grated on my nerves.

If Zachary decides in the future that he'd like to be called Zach by his friends, that's his choice and I will respect that. But I will always call him Zachary and teach him that that's his name, until he decides he wants to use a nickname. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• imageMrsLeanna:
    imageMellyMelB:

imagebritishbride05:

How many strippers do you know, Mel ;)  You forgot Bambi

My little cousin is Nicole and she has been Nikki since before she was born, I don't think its a stripper name either.  

and Cherry!  (lol i'm reading "sippy cups are not for chardonnay" and she mentions the name of a stripper- Cherries Jubilee-  LOL)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"