Cincinnati Babies
Options

12 hour fever with no other symptoms?

Adah felt warm after a late nap yesterday so we checked her temperature and she was at 101.9.  I gave her some Motrin at 7pm, we checked her right before bed and she was at 100.4.  We checked again before we went to bed at 11pm (love that ear thermometer, we can do it in her sleep!) and she was at 104.  We gave her some Tylenol this time, then DH checked again a few minutes later and it was 103.  He thinks maybe she had just been sleeping on that ear and it was extra hot.  At 2am, she was normal again, then at 5am she was 99.8, so we gave more Motrin.  Now she is hovering right around normal.  She seemed a little extra whiney, but esp after the medicine, pretty much her usual self.  

Any ideas what would cause such a short-lived fever?  At first I thought it could be teething, but 103 is too high for teeth, right? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 12 hour fever with no other symptoms?

• Options

My guess is that her body is fighting off the beginnings of a virus - that's what fevers are for, they're not a bad thing unless they get too high.

Unless she's miserable I'd back off the motrin for a while and see what it does.. let her body do it's thing, kwim?  And motrin could also be masking other symptoms...

103 is too high for teeth, for sure.  I also don't think motrin would necessarily bring 103-4 down to normal in 3 hours... but who knows!

Hannah

• Options

I agree with Hannah, unless my boys seem very uncomfortable, I don't give medicine. Fever is a body's way of fighting an infection.

On another note Sawyer has had a fever for 2 days, 101.5 or so. That is the only symptom. I took him to the pedi to rule out ear infection and he said it was just viral. Weird, maybe something is going around.

Hope she's feeling better! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Griffin had the same thing Thursday evening and trough the day on Friday.  I did the same as you, offered Tylenol when the fever was high.  I don't know if he could have passed something on to her when you guys where here Wednesday, but it certainly is odd that they both have the same symptoms.    He does have a little bit of a runny nose, but other than that he is playing fine and acting like his normal self again.

I hope she feels better soon.

Kristen & Mike 7/2005
    Griffin 10/2007
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Kate had something very similar to that a week or two ago.  She came home from daycare and DH thought she felt warm so he took her temp.  It was 102.7.  A few hours and a dose of Motrin later, it was done to under 101.  When we took her temp around bedtime it was back over 101, so we gave her another dose of Motrin.  The following morning, it was down to 99.8 and hasn't had a fever since.  It was the strangest thing because even though she was a little whiny, she was acting completely normal. 

GL!  I hope she feels better soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"