Attachment Parenting

Educate me on wraps

Okay. So. I have the wrapping bug.

Also, because we're buying our house, I have no money. LOL. I'm planning on selling my Ergo when I have my 35 posts on TBW. 

Anyway. I made my own muslin wrap, and I made it 18feet long (6 yards). I then bought a tablecloth (as per the DIY Tablecloth wraps on TBW) and made IT into a wrap. LOVE it. It's about 6 yards long as well. 

I bought cotton gauze and a linen cotton blend material (enough to make 3 wraps!) for $35 last week. 

I want to make a "shortie". How long should I make it? (yard wise or inches wise, meters confuse me). 

Also... if I do buy my first wrap...what brand is good (and not $$$$$) to start with? Size to start with?

Thanks enablers!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Educate me on wraps

• Most shorties are 2.7 meters so about 3 yards.  Keep in mind that the type of fabric you use is more important with a shortie as you only have one layer (like you wouldn't want to use cotton gauze for example).  Table cloth material is probably best for a DIY shortie - you don't want to piece together two shorter pieces though as it would be really hard to make it a safe seam.

If you want to buy BB Slen is the cheapest new - they come up for steals used quite often.  They are also great through toddlerhood so a good investment.  Size depends on what carries you want to do of course.  I'd go with whatever size of your DIYs you like most.

HTH ;-)

• I use a french seam whenever I have to patch two pieces together...which isn't coming apart ev-ah. Thanks for the info!

I saw a cotton jacquard print in a tablecloth that would have been PERFECT for a wrap I believe...but it was $35 for one... which isn't bad I realize, but it was just a little pricey for me at the time (and I haaaaaaaaated the color). 

So does the BB Slen hold up well? 

I really want to live near someone who has "real" wraps so that I could feel one!

• Loading the player...
  • Yes - BB Slens can take a lickin' and keep on tickin' ;-)  I've seen shorties for $35 before on FSOT.  New shorties are $60 and long ones $90ish (which I realize isn't cheap but relative to others...).  Used ones of course go much cheaper.

Too bad you arent' in my neighborhood ;-)

• I know M! That would rock!

We have a local BWing group, but it's a hour and a half away (yes, thats what I consider local, LOL). They only meet once a month & I haven't been able to make a meeting yet. :( I don't know if anyone there has wraps or not, although I would assume so.

Oh, another question for you. How did you get Callum to like back carries? Just do it from a young age? Keevia HATES them. She'll tolerate it in the Beco for a short amount of time (10-15 minutes) but she won't past that. And whenever I try to put her on my back without a spotter she FREAKS out (grabbing my hair, screaming, panicking, etc). I just don't know what to do! 

• Part of it may be an age thing.  How high is she in the beco? Can she see over your shoulder?  I think that makes a big difference.

As for the getting up there, I guess getting used to it probably has something to do with it.  She's at an age where she's old enough to know if she doesn't like something.  Kiddo was only 2 months when I started back carrying so I guess he can't remember ever not doing it.  I would make sure to try when she's feeling happy and rested.

• imageshainababygirl:

I use a french seam whenever I have to patch two pieces together...which isn't coming apart ev-ah. Thanks for the info!

I saw a cotton jacquard print in a tablecloth that would have been PERFECT for a wrap I believe...but it was $35 for one... which isn't bad I realize, but it was just a little pricey for me at the time (and I haaaaaaaaated the color). 

So does the BB Slen hold up well? 

I really want to live near someone who has "real" wraps so that I could feel one!

We could meet halfway in Lexington one day and I could bring my stash for you to play with.. Wink

I agree with ncbelle about BBSlens though. Seriously my favorite wrap, ever. And one of my least expensive to boot. Good for all types of weather, and they have pretty colorways.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"