1st Trimester

who is telling family on Mother's day?

...how many of you are planning to tell your family that you are pregnant on Mother's day? how far along will you be? how will you tell them?

My DH and I are going back and forth with this, despite my last u/s appointment yesterday going "perfect" (doctor's exact words) and a heartbeat of 164BPM (up from 128BPM the week before!!)....we are just so cautious because of what has happened to us before....

Last time we waited until I was 11 weeks...and then at 12 weeks...tragedy struck....(won't get into it here but it was not a m/c)....

So we sort of feel like....on one hand "Why wait? if something is going to happen, it can happen at anytime, no time is "safe"...but on the other hand we don't want our families feeling uncomfortable because it's early. So torn! Would love to know what others are doing! Thanks!

Re: who is telling family on Mother's day?

• We were originally planning to announce on Mother's Day. I bought a tag necklace for my Mom with all the grandkids names/birthstones on it. And one just had the birthstone for December for the new baby.  But then My Grandpa died and my whole family was in town, all my sisters together, which is rare. So we decided to tell them then, since we were all together.  I'm still giving her the necklace on Mother's day. 

Good luck with your decision and with your pregnancy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We went ahead and told our family early.  We asked them all to come over for lunch and told them, and that was last week, so I was only a little over 4 weeks.  Our feeling was that if something did happen, we'd want their support.  Plus, we're so happy that we just can't keep it a secret! 

I think you should do what you feel the most comfortable doing.  If you want to share, go ahead!  If you'd rather wait until after the first tri because it makes you more comfortable, do that.  You can't go wrong going with your gut. 

I wouldn't worry about making your family uncomfortable by telling them a little early.  They're your family, so it's their job to support you, and thus your decision.  Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • We are expecting mixed responses from family since DD was born 5.5 months ago.  So, we are going to wait until we have a nice solid heart beat to tell our family.  We could not be happier and are just going to soak up the moment privately for now.

GL to you.  It is great to hear about your last appointment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are.  My 12 week appt/ NT scan is the Monday after, but we have had two good u/s at 7w and 9w and heart rate at those times were 138 then 170, so I feel like it will be ok.  I don't think I can hide it any longer!  My shirts are getting tight from this bloat!  
    Married 10.27.07
    DD 11.20.10
    BFP #2 8.25.12 M/C 9.3.12
    BFP #3 10.25.13 EDD 7.8.14

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • My husband and I are expecting out first child which is also the first grandchild on both sides and we are planning on telling our parents on Mother's Day.  I will be 10 weeks along.  It has been very hard to keep it from them but we know that they are going to be very excited!! 
  • Our 8 week ultrasound is scheduled for the Tuesday following  Mother's day and we were planning on telling the parents after that, so I thought I would get some Happy Mother's Day "Grandma" cards and give them to my mom and mother-in-law a little late as our way of sharing the news.  We're waiting to tell the rest of the family and friends until 11-12 weeks, as long as everything is going well. 
  • I was planning on telling my mom a few days before mother's day when we have a lunch a pedicure date and telling DH's parents the following weekend because DH is going out of town Mother's day weekend for a bachelor party. Since it looks like the day I planned to tell my mom I may be traveling with DH for his work, I may just plan to have a lunch the weekend before mother's day with our parents and tell them all then. I bought them "I love grandma/grandpa" bibs that I'm going to give them as presents as the way to tell them. I ideally would like to wait until I'm twelve weeks, but I can't wait to tell people, especially our parents. I also look at it as if God forbid something does happen, I want to have my families support. I will be about 5-6 weeks depending on when we tell them. I plan to tell everyone else around 10 weeks. We have a wedding to go to the weekend I will be twelve weeks and would like to tell people and I don't want to be "outed" at the wedding by not drinking and I don't want to take anything away from the bride and groom's big day, so I figured telling our friends two weeks prior won't impede on their celebration.
  • We are telling both families on Mothers Day... I will have my 11 week checkup on the 5th and figure the 9th and Mothers Day was the perfect time. If something happens, God forbid, it is going to happen regardless of when we spill the news. And I just can't keep it in any longer, DH and I are both dying to tell!

We also bought hand stamped metal jewelry for the Mothers from Etsy. For my mom we bought a bracelet with all her grandkids names stamped on each metal disc and our babys name as "Baby (our last name)" .. We did the same for my MIL but a necklace instead. I am also giving each of them a grankids photo frame with the most recent u/s photo in it.

I can't wait!!

• We plan to tell on mother's day and I will be almost 8 weeks.  We wait until 12 weeks to tell the world, but for family, we tell early.  I figure that I'll tell them if I miscarry, so why not tell them I'm pregnant?  I've had 2 M/Cs, so I want to wait until we see a heartbeat on the US on May 4th.  I just want to avoid the drama of everybody being worried for me before then and asking me how I'm feeling, blah blah blah. 
  • We are! I'll be 7.5 weeks. We told last time on Mother's Day too! LOL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We were going to, but my OB moved my NT scan from the 4th to the 11th.  Now we'll tell the week after Mother's Day.
  • We plan to tell for Mother's Day as well. I will be a little over 12 weeks and our families all live far away from us.  So I decided to get cards for our moms, sisters and grandma's and will send them with an ultra sound pic from the baby.  I hope it goes well, I am very excited!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"