Health & Exercise
Options

How soon after LO was born?

What was the first exercising you did after LO was born? How soon did you start? I have went for a few walks around the block while pulling DS#1 in the wagon and had ds#2 in the moby and was exhausted, maybe just one round next time.

Re: How soon after LO was born?

• Options
    I started working out 4 weeks after LO was born. I was getting really bad cabin fever and needed to get out. I was a college athlete so getting back into it wasn't that hard. I started off running right away and then did the elyptical as well. I played in a soccer tournament 6 weeks after birth. My story is probably way different because i push myself to the limit. I'm now running for 25 minutes at a time just 11 weeks after birth.
  • Options
    I started going on short walks about 4 weeks after I had DD. Then I got a jogging stroller and would walk/jog a few miles when she was about 3 months. I did that for a few more months and for the past 2 months I have started going back to the gym. The daycare at the gym wont take babies until they are 6 months. I just really got back into hard work outs (weights, longer runs, etc) and now I am pregnant again! I am trying to still work out daily, just modifying everything a bit. Just take your time and do what you can. Being exhausted is what made me pace myself in the beginning. Your body will let you know when you are up to doing more! Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Stop by my blog! www.ginasguideto.blogspot.com
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

For me, it seemed to get shorter with each child (then again I was in better shape before each child so that may have an impact on it).  

With DD #1 I started back around 3-4 weeks with walking and the elliptical (very slowly).  With DD#2 I was able to start light jogging around 4 weeks. With DS I started walking the week after he was born and was back to walking/jogging intervals at 2 weeks.  I was dying to get out of the house and itching to start working out again (I had been on 3 weeks of bedrest and was going crazy).   

• Options
    I ran my entire pregnancy and my first postpartum run was at 11 days. Baby blues and cabin fever were getting the best of me and I needed that run for my mental health! It was one of the greatest runs of my life! While I felt great that restarted my bleeding so I held off again until 3 weeks pp when my doc cleared me. I was back to running 4-5 days a week at 6 weeks pp and I'm back to my old running routine at 12 weeks pp.
  • Options
    I would walk around the block while I was on maternity leave.  I went for a run on Tuesday night.  Still a little sore but I'll probably go running again tonight.  Or take DS for a walk and then go for a run once I get him home. 
  • Options
    It definitely took me a while!  I would do walks with the stroller at about 3-4 weeks, but only short ones.  I gradually worked up to longer ones, and I've been doing couch to 5k for the last seven weeks or so (and I'm on week 4, if that gives you any idea of my physical condition). 

I would recommend taking it slow.  I know there are lots of athletes on this board who can do more, but I figure it's better to take it easy and work up to it and feel good, than to push yourself and feel crappy/exhausted/sick or to have your supply tank (if nursing) and all that not so fun stuff.  At 2 months I was just starting to think I might survive this whole thing!  :D  And at nearly 5 months I feel great.  It'll come, just give it some time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"