Birth Stories

I did it Natural. SUPER LONG

My due date was April 5th and it came and went. I had a docs appointment on that day, and they started talking about inducing me in 2 weeks. I had made up my mind to go natural in my 2nd trimester; and knew I didn?t want an induction. I tried to plead with my midwife to strip my membranes (this was as invasive as I was willing to go), and of course, I was not dilated at all. 50% effaced, and ?super soft? but that did me no good. I am very paranoid about work though, and so my Midwife put me on ?OB Quarters? which would let me not work until my day of delivery. (I am in the Navy, and you normally work up until you pop that little one out) but because of my stress about work, she let me stop working. I don?t really know why I am so paranoid about it. I freak out even if I think I am going to be 1 minute late; or if I think I will get into trouble for something. I must say, I have only been late once and it was during the 1st trimester when I literally couldn?t leave the toilet; and I have never gotten into trouble.

                So, after that visit, my husband and I decided that we were going to ?walk this baby out.?  We started the process on that Wednesday.  We went to the Mall and went into EVERY STORE, then we went to Target, then to Walmart, then to the grocery store. We picked up some ?stuff? and went home to have some ?sexy-time;? Which was actually not that bad considering my 9-month-pregnant-self.   Then my husband hopped online and ordered a Super spicy Pizza and wings combo. I sat on my birthing ball and ate the food.  I felt like a new person on Thursday; and on Friday I started labor.

I know they say when it?s the real thing you will know, and it?s true, But I did have a week of False labor; So in a way, I just compared it to that, and I knew it was real. The contractions started off pretty weak and far apart, but they had a definitive beginning, peak, and decent. We went through the day, and through the night. On Saturday they were a lot stronger and closer together. We went to the Hospital at about 7pm on Saturday. I was only 2 CM. I begged the OB on call to strip my membranes. And she did. I Owe her a hug and a chocolate bar. We went home, and a few hours later, I was crying in pain in my living room. My husband was sleeping (I told him to), and I was trying to labor alone. But by 4am on Sunday was begging my husband for an epidural. We Called my Doula and she told me to get in the tub and wait for her to get there.

Ouch ouch and more ouch. I was crying hysterically, basically screaming through contractions, and hitting a spot where I just felt like I couldn?t do it. I was scared and felt like a failure for even asking for the drugs. My Husband and Doula calmed me down and breathed with me.

We left for the hospital at 9 am. WORST car ride of my life. I felt every PEBBLE in the road. Got there, and I was at 5 CM. got me in the labor tub. I HATED it. I am too small for that tub. I felt like I was swimming. But I couldn?t just get out because everytime I tried I had another contraction. One on top of the other. Then I felt that urge. I HAD to push. My body was doing it without me even having a say! ?GET ME THE F* OUT OF THIS TUB!? I screamed. And between my husband and doula they did. I don?t remember how though. I staggered to the bed and got on all fours facing the wall. The nurse was hollering out the door for the OB to get in there. My body was pushing. The stupid nurse decided to ask me to turn on my back; I know I said something foul to her. I was not moving. I was going to give birth on all fours. The OB had never delivered a baby Naturally; and def. not in this position. She was lost. But I was confident. My body was doing exactly what it was supposed to. No one told me how to push, no one told me when, the only thing I asked for was for my Doula to breath with me. I went from 5 CM to 81/2 in 30 minutes. And once I was on the bed, I went the last 2 in less than 10. 20 minutes of pushing and my daughter was born. She was perfect. She came out looking at everyone. She didn?t cry until they rubbed her back, and even then she really didn?t. but she was breathing great and her color was a cute pink. She was just happy to be out. I held her immediately and put her to my breast; she didn?t nurse, but she nuzzled and cuddled. And that was enough.  

I had to get meds after she was born because I ended up losing a LOT of blood. I had Pitocin for 6 hours after she was born. And I couldn?t even walk to the bathroom; I had to be wheeled and I still fainted in the wheel chair. Blood loss is no joke. My doc was worried, but I came around. By day 2 I was a lot better.

Delilah Marie was born at 1228pm, 6 pounds 10 ounces, 19 inches long. Perfect.

Re: I did it Natural. SUPER LONG

  • Wow your story is very inspiring, especially since your labor was so long.  I think it's great that you insisted on pushing on all fours because that's what felt best to you.  It's crazy that your doc had never delivered a baby after a natural labor before.  I'm hoping to go natural too.  

    Congrats on your daughter! 

    Ectopic pregnancy Aug. 2008, followed by a diagnosis of two blocked tubes.
    IVF#1 gave us a BFP on 8/24/09, DD born May 2010
    Surprise, natural BFP July 2012 ended in miscarriage 9/4/12 at 10w4d
    FET#1 January 2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Amazing story!  Congrats on going med-free and on your little girl!
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats on your med-free birth! It's wicked funny how you scared your doc by pushing on all fours. And sad at the same time, they should see more "natural" births than they do and having ppl birth only on their backs is something that should be broken too.
  • So  incredible, thank you for sharing this story! I have a ways to go, but am already preparing myself for a natural birth!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards