New Jersey Babies

Hospitals - Central NJ

I'm new to Central NJ and want to know what Hospital I should make sure my OB is affiliated with?  Any recommendations as to which ones people loved?

Re: Hospitals - Central NJ

• I don't know from personal experience, but my friend just delivered at St. Barnabas in Livingston and had a very positive exerience. That's where I will be delivering as well (I'm due in August).
  • There aren't really any hospitals in central NJ that I would suggest that you stay away from.  Overall, most of the maternity units have a decent reputation.  If you are concerned that you may have a premature baby or if your pregnancy is high risk, a place like St Peter's in New Brunswick, Robert Wood Johnson in New Brunswick, Morristown Memorial in Morristown and Capital Health in Trenton are good. They have the high level NICUs.  If you want something a little smaller and less hectic as far as maternity units go, Hunterdon Medical in Flemington, Somerset Medical in Somerville and Princeton Medical are good.  I believe they all have tubs that you can labor in.  Capital Health and Morristown also have laboring tubs.  I think some providers at Morristown even let you have waterbirths.  I think Hunterdon has the biggest and nicest laboring rooms.  If you want an epidural, any of the hospitals are fine there.  If you want a drug free birth, Hunterdon, Capital Health, Princeton and Morristown are probably the best (depending on provider of course!).  Here is a good site for looking at hospital birth statistics.
    R & R: est 2003 LOs: 4/2005, 10/2007, 2/2011 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It really depends on what you want from the hospital... and your choice of care provider is going to make a big difference.  a intervention-free, natural experience?  Hackettstown, Hunterdon, and Morristown are good bets.  Great NICU?  St. Peter's or Morristown would be a good choice.  www.ican-online is a great website that has stats on all NJ hospitals including c/s rates, episiotomy rates, vbac rates, etc.  It is a great resource as you choose!
  • I delivered my son at St. Peter's and am not going back b/c I felt like a number there and the staff was never on the same page.   Granted, they were going through construction of a new wing at the time but it was an awful experience as a first time mom.  They forgot to tell me that I had a bag of goodies to use and how to use them (tucks pads, sitz bath, etc.)  They didn't offer me pain meds until I asked for them in which 24 hours had passed after delivery.  They didn't take a nursery photo of my son and when I asked about it before I left we almost didn't get one b/c the photographer was not in that day...luckily a nurse from the nursery felt bad for us and tried the photography machine and we were able to have a hospital photo.  I had to share a room (got the smallest side) which was not accommodating for my son in the bassinet at all w/out having to worry that someone would bump into him w/ all of the nurses going in and out and my roomies visitors.  My husband was not going to be allowed to stay overnight b/c there was another woman in the room (understandable but being a first time parent that had a bad reaction to some drugs and couldn't walk on my own was scary.)  I'm sure that I could think of more negatives but that's off the top of my head.  Everybody that I talk to seems to get induced there and get an episiotomy as well.  They are a baby factory if that's what you want!  Over 6000 births there last year when RWJ has 1/3 that number. 

I'm currently pregnant again and I wanted to go to RWJ this time but although my OB/GYN has privledges there they won't go to RWJ unless you are a planned C-section.  So, I changed practices and am now going to Princeton Midwives (that also work along side OB/GYN's in their practice) for less medical intervention and will be going to University Medical Center at Princeton.  I'm excited about a less hectic experience this time around!!!

• Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, NJ . They have one of the highest rated NICU's in monmouth county and i have only heard of amazing experiences there with deliveries. I went to a reg. and at the end a high risk ob and they were great and only affiliated with Monmouth. Also, I ended up having to have DS in the NICU and they were absolutley amazing.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My MIL works for Jersey Shore Medical Center in Neptune and it is a very reputable hospital.  Also, Riverview Medical Center in Red Bank is where I am delivering and it's maternity/women's center wing is being totally renovated this year.  It's a great hospital and everyone in my family has delivered there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"