TTC After a Loss

What happens at d&c f/u

I'm going to my f/u and release to work appt today at 2:50.  I'm nervous and oddly excited to be going.  I wish I knew what to expect though.  I've got a bazillion questions for her along with my strategy plan.  What all is normally done at these?  Bloodwork?  Pelvic exam? 
Gena dx PCOS 1997 BFP 2/12/10, mmc discovered at 10w6d/d&c 11w3d
imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
My Never Updated Chart
Bonus buddies with Cashewsmommy!
Join Swagbucks! Earn free Amazon cards!

Re: What happens at d&c f/u

• I had a pelvic exam and asked my doctor questions. She sat and talked with me for over an hour about trying again, what could have happened to cause my m/c and pretty much anything I wanted to talk about. GL and let us know how it goes. 
  • It depends on the dr.  It seems like most don't do a physical exam or bloodwork but a few do.  At my f/u we mostly just talked about how I was doing, what were our next steps, and any questions i had.  I'd really suggest having your questions written out, it was hard to remember what all I wanted to ask.
    imageimage
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle!
    April 2011 CP @ 5 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • I had two follow-up appts actually.  First one was b/c I was having bad cramps and some blood clots.  At that one she did a pelvic exam and I also had my betas tested (they only tested them b/c I was having pain and passing clots).  At my second follow-up appt, she didn't do a pelvic because I told her I stopped bleeding and I felt good.  We talked for a couple of minutes about when I would start trying again and that was about it.  Honestly, I think they just assume the first miscarriage is a fluke so my doctor told me not to worry or stress about what could have caused it.  It wasn't all that helpful...

BFP #1 12/28/09 D&C 2/15/10
    BFP #2 DS
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #3 5/13/12 M/C 6/10/12
    BFP #4 8/12/12 M/C 8/18/12
    September 2012 - 2.5mg Femara + Ovidrel + TI = BFP #5 Beta #1 - 61 @ 12 dpo, Beta #2 - 183 @ 14 dpo, Beta #3 - 1466 @ 19 dpo
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My OB asked me several questions.  Based on my responses, he didn't fee there was a need to do a pelvic exam.  I at RPL bloodwork, but nothing to test HCG and such.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • LOL Kristy...I'm way too obsessive not to have it all typed out, along with my highlighted articles and vitamin bottles.  I'm hoping to avoid the pelvic. Speculums are the devil. 
    My Never Updated Chart
  • I did not have b/w or any real exam.  BP, weight, and talke to midwife about how I was doing.  I had just gotten my period the day before, so that eliminated that topic.  I just asked about trying again and what to do after we got the results of genetic testing back.  I also asked about next time if I would get more u/s's early, like between 12 and 20 weeks. 
    Brenna Married 4.30.05

Mom to Teagan 4.11.07 and Cora 9.30.11

imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

D&E @ 22w 9.30.09 CMV infection BFP 10.15.10 C/P 4w4d

• After both (different docs' offices) I had an internal exam to check for infection or swelling, and then we talked about the TTA cycles to come.

I did not have bloodwork done until loss #4, which was a natural m/c, but I wish I had asked for it after the third loss (d&c #2).

• Thanks ladies.  Hopefully all goes well and they have the results back from whatever testing they did after the d&c. 
    My Never Updated Chart
  • My dr pressed on my abdomen a little, asked how I was doing and that was about it. 

Things I wish I had asked about:

Bloodwork.  Would they do blood work to see when HCG levels were 0?

After next BFP.  Would they follow me more closely?  Do more bloodwork?  More u/s?  I had an early u/s anyway b/c that's how their office operates.  What about drugs?  B6, pro etc.

Testing.  I know they tested the tissue, they told me they did and there was nothing abnormal.  However, I kind of would have liked to know the sex of the baby if they had that information.

If I had been on this board before my follow up visit I would have known to ask these things.  You may or may not want to know all of this information, but I wish now that I did.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • All things considered it's a fairly painless (emotionally and physically) apt.

The doc will do a pelvic exam to make sure you're healing properly, answer any questions you may have, go over your future TTC plans and discuss testing (if any was done on the baby) and when the results can be expected.

For me, the worst part was always the waiting room full of pregnant women. If you can get through that, the rest is easy.

• My doc didn't do an exam or b/w.  Since i had no symptoms of infections, she didn't think it was necessary.  She mostly just talked to me about what comes next.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"