Birth Stories

Liam's Big Debut (Water Breaking/Induction/Vacuum Assist)

I woke up at 6:15 last Sunday morning feeling like I needed to use the bathroom. I stood up and felt liquid running down my legs. I rushed into the bathroom still half asleep and not sure what was going on. After a few minutes of hanging out on the toilet I realized that, no, I didn't just pee all over the place but my water had broken!

I woke DH up and told him the good news. He immediately started packing a hospital bag (shouldn't have put that off for so long!) while I called the doctor on call at the hospital to find out what exactly I should do. I was told to head straight to labor and delivery so off we went! I wasn't having any labor pains, I was just really wet, so we were both in really good spirits. We even went through the drive-thru at McDonalds because I knew that once I got into the hospital I wouldn't be allowed to eat anything.

I walked into the hospital and down to my labor and delivery room under my own power since I wasn't having contractions. The nurses got me all set up and ready to go. They started me on pitocin at 9:30 AM because I wasn't contracting (I was 2 cm and almost 100% effaced, though) and since my water had broken they wanted to go ahead and get the baby out. The contractions weren't too bad (we actually watched two movies while we were chilling out!) and I actually made it all the way to 6 cm pretty quickly before I asked for the epidural. Once i got it then it was just a waiting game. I actually dilated the rest of the way pretty quickly (the nurse was impressed!) and then it was time to push!

I started pushing at around 7:00 PM. I thought that I would be able to get him out without too much trouble since I had made it through everything else pretty easily but, alas, it was not to be. I pushed for 2 1/2 hours but his head was just not making it under my pubic bone. The doctor gave me the option of the vacuum extractor, saying that I had already pushed a half hour longer than most people would have before they got too tired and that at 3 hours she would use it anyway because the baby would get too stressed from the prolonged pushing. I was quickly becoming exhausted so I told her to go for it. By the time she got set up for using the extractor I had been pushing for three hours.

The doctor attached the vacuum to his head and I pushed three times while she assisted him past my pubic bone.  On the second push the extractor actually popped off his head and blood and stuff flew everywhere.  DH and I got hit in the face.  If I hadn't been so damn uncomfortable I would have laughed! She then took the extractor off saying that she didn't want to use it for too long because it could do some damage to his skull. I was on my own for getting him the rest of the way out! I pushed like CRAZY and was able to get his head out finally. I had been assured that once the head came out then everything else would kind of just slide on out after but this was not the case for me. I had to push him all the way out!

FINALLY, at 10:53 PM on Sunday April 11th, 2010, Liam Duvalt came into the world!! He weighed 8 lbs 5 oz and was 21 1/2 inches long. He wasn't an overly large baby (although the doctor said I should be glad he decided to come a little ahead of schedule) BUT the reason I had to work so hard to get him here was because his head circumference and his chest circumference were almost identical. His head was 13 1/2 inches and his chest was 13 inches. He is a broad guy!

So, I thought the worst was over.  But, then came the delivery of the placenta.  For most, I am sure that this is a pretty straightforward procedure but it wasn't for me.  As she was attempting to deliver the placenta the cord began to tear away.  The doctor had to physically reach up in me and pull the placenta out.  Then it didn't come out all in one piece so she had to continue to root around up there to make sure it was all gone.  This was TORTURE!  She kept apologizing to me over and over and saying how she hated doing this to people.  Finally, after about 20 minutes she felt confident that she had gotten it all out.

Through it all my husband was absolutely AWESOME!  He is usually not very good at dealing with medical stuff but he really stepped up to the plate.  Especially when I was pushing for so long and was getting tired.  He even went down and looked to see how much progress I was making so he could encourage me to keep going.  This from the guy who wasn't even sure he could cut the umbilical cord (he did, BTW)!  

Here are some pics for you all!

image image

Re: Liam's Big Debut (Water Breaking/Induction/Vacuum Assist)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"