Maryland Babies

STTN

When did your baby start sleeping through the night? Ava slept from 9 pm to 5 pm one night this week, but she usually wakes up one time in the night to eat.

If your child is STTN, any tips?

I am going back to work next week and would love for her to sleep through. We have a bedtime routine in place already. I give her the last bottle in her darkened room and play her sound machine.

Re: STTN

• My LO started sleeping from MN-6am when she was 1 month old (I realize I am very lucky...) and I've gradually gotten to get her to go to bed a little earlier each night since then (now she usually falls asleep around 10ish and I'm hoping by the time I go back to work next month, I can get her down by 9pm).

Your routine sounds similar to mine but what has worked for me is giving her a bottle of formula before she goes to sleep.  I BF but find the extra formula helps keep her belly full and able to sleep longer.  I'm also a fan of the Fisher Price Sea Horse too.

Look forward to reading others STTN tips too! 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Amelia started STTN at 5 weeks...we feel like we are very lucky as well!  Prior to that, in the week before, she was sleeping 11:30-3:30a, waking up to eat, and then back to bed until 7a.  She now sleeps 10ish-7ish.  At that time, she wakes to eat and then goes back down until 10am.  DH and I are so much more pleasant to be around now! :)

I wish I had some tricks to share, but I really don't.  The only things I can think of, are what you already mention...routine, routine, routine.  We do the same things every night...with the exception of a bath added in every M, W, F, before her last feed.  We time her last feed for around 9:30-10p and then wind down, read to her, talk softly to her, give her a baby massage with lotion, keep the lights down low, and then wrap her up in her Halo Sleep Sack Swaddle and bring her upstairs.  We run a fan and a humidifier in the room to help with temperature and white noise while she sleeps. 

Good luck! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • At around 8 weeks my DD started STTN w/ 2 wake ups.  She slept 10ish until maybe 8 and woke up around 2 and 6, had a bottle and went right back to sleep.  At around 4.5 months w/ Sleep training she started STTN w/ no wake ups.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • my child started STTN around 8 weeks and it lasted about 1.5-2 months. he is just now, at 8.5 months, starting to STTN again.

while babies at your LOs age CAN STTN, it is not the norm, so you may get lucky, or you may have one like mine. All the previous  tips were good...I really find the key thing to be making sure he is well fed before going to bed at night. On the days where he finishes his bottles and eats well during the day he sleeps better.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemrs. remy <3:

I really find the key thing to be making sure he is well fed before going to bed at night. On the days where he finishes his bottles and eats well during the day he sleeps better.

Ditto this.  I should have added that we try really hard to keep her on a feeding schedule during the day...every 3 hours.  We also have tried to give a bigger bottle at the last feed, but she rarely takes more than she usually does during the day.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Sometimes babies still need to eat during the night.  STTN before 3 or 4 months isn't all that common and it's a developmental thing, not behavioral or even nutritional for that matter.  My DD STTN @ 6 weeks, but then once she started teething @ 6 months returned to waking up once a night to nurse.  It wasn't awesome, but it also wasn't the end of the world. 

Also just as an FYI there has never been any proof that giving rice cereal will make a baby sleep longer either- not that anyone mentioned it in a post, but if it's suggested to anyone by their mom or MIL, it's not proven.  If this had been proven it would be touted on the boxes of rice cereal and the stuff would sell for a lot more money than it does!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My DD started to STTN at 4 months. We normally can get her down between 7:30/8:00 p.m. and she will wake up between 5:00/6:00 a.m.

Although last night was a whole new ball game for us. She woke up 2 times to eat. I blame it on a growth spurt/teething. Crying

• Mine didn't start consistently STTN until she was almost 2!  Even now as we are nearing 2.5 she's not a reliable STTN-er...really hoping I get lucky with baby #2 as a sleeper.
  • There was a brief 3 weeks when she was 4 months old, she slept 12+, but otherwise, 2 weeks before her 3rd birthday.?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"