Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

circumcision after care, please help

Okay, so ds was circumsized on Wednesday. Since then we have been putting the polysporin that the doctor gave us, on gauze and "molding" it around his penis like we were shown how to do by the doctor. He had a bandage around his penis, and we were told to go see our doctor if it hadn't fallen off by today - it feel off yesterday. Since the bandage has fallen off, every time we change his diaper and put a new piece of gauze with polysporin on it on his penis, he cries for an hour or more. Could this be a reaction to the polysporin? should we try vaseline instead?

help please!

EDIT: if your son was circumsized - what were you told to do for after care?

Re: circumcision after care, please help

• Options
    We were told to use gauze and vaseline. 
  • Options

imagelovinfall:

do you think i should try vaseline and see if that changes his reaction to it?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were told to put vaseline on his diaper and to give Tylenol every 4 hrs.
  • Options

imagesm81wells:
    We were told to put vaseline on his diaper and to give Tylenol every 4 hrs.

we give him tylenol every 4 hours

• Options
    imageShortycube:

imagelovinfall:

I think it may provide some lubrication so that he may not be as uncomfy.  It doesn't hurt to try.  Hope he feels better.

• Options
    Sounds like you must have had a different technique used other than the plastibell that we had done with DS. There was no after care for us other than, "just leave it alone."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagelovinfall:
  • Options
    imagelovinfall:
    imageShortycube:

imagelovinfall:

I think it may provide some lubrication so that he may not be as uncomfy.  It doesn't hurt to try.  Hope he feels better.

thank you

• Options

imagewalkerkeli:
    Sounds like you must have had a different technique used other than the plastibell that we had done with DS. There was no after care for us other than, "just leave it alone."

ohh.. yeah it was different then that for sure.

• Options

imagewalkerkeli:

This! Sorry! GL!

• Options
    thanks everyone. we're going to have him checked out by a pedi right now.
  • Options
    We were told just to use Vaseline, no gauze after the first piece fell off.
  • Options
    We were told gauze and vaseline.  The hospital sent us home with little tubes of vaseline and we would put about half the tube on with each diaper change.  We went through a lot of vaseline.
  • Options
    At first I wasn't really happy that my son was going to come home with a plastic ring left on his penis (he had the plastibell circumcision), but after reading this...I'm glad he did.  He was a little fussy the day the ring fell off, but nothing like what your son is going through.  I really hope he feels better soon. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

They used the ring procedure. We were told to not use anything on it. No gauze, creams or special cleaning. Only to clean gently with a wipe.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have read where some babies have a reaction to the polysporin.  We were told to use Vaseline only with both of our boys.  Both healed beautifully in about a week.  HTH!
  • Options

You should check with your pedi to see how your LO was circumcised. Different techniques require different types of after care.

For us, we just put the polysporin on his penis and he healed up within a week or so. No issues since then.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• Options

We used bacitracin only, no gauze, no vaseline.

We were told to put a lot of bacitracin on with each diaper change for two weeks, but it was totally healed within 1 week.

• Options
    we were never told to use gauze. we used just vaseline only to keep it from sticking to the diaper.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    Pedi said it looks great for only being done on wednesday and to continue with the gauze and polysporin or vaseline. She also said to bath him tomorrow or sunday. The doctor that did the circumcision said it should be healed by Sunday (well enough to stop the polysporin and gauze treatment at least. Thanks again everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"