Parenting after a Loss

Anybody's DC had an echocardiogram?

DD has one tomorrow and I didn't even think to ask the ped. what all would be involved.  She is almost 9 months old.  They didn't say anything about putting her to sleep but I am wondering how they will get her to stay still and if they are going to let me and DH be there with her.  We have to go to our hospital to have it done.  She is having it done to check a possible heart murmur.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Anybody's DC had an echocardiogram?

• We had one done really early on.  It was also in the cardiologist's office and not in a hospital.  They had me hang out with her on the exam table and just tried to keep her calm while they did the EKG and sonogram.  Also, during the EKG she just hung out with a bunch of pads stuck to her.  It didn't hurt her one bit and she didn't mind it at all.  Since your daughter is older I would definitely pack toys and things to keep her occupied.  Good luck and I hope everything turns out ok.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We just had one yesterday, also to check on a heart murmur.  The whole appt was pretty long -- about an hour -- we had an EKG (they put little pads all over the chest and a machine reads the heart activity), they took her blood pressure (with the cutest little blood pressure cuff you've ever seen), and then they did the echocardiogram.  This part is like an ultrasound of the heart, and it took about 20 min.  Our tech turned on a TV which helped to occupy LO for a while, but she was squirmy and cried through about half of it.  Just make sure your LO is well fed and bring some toys.  Don't worry if she's all over the place -- they're used to it.  Hope all is well.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have any advice just wanted to wish you luck and hope all is ok.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagevml14:
    We just had one yesterday, also to check on a heart murmur.  The whole appt was pretty long -- about an hour -- we had an EKG (they put little pads all over the chest and a machine reads the heart activity), they took her blood pressure (with the cutest little blood pressure cuff you've ever seen), and then they did the echocardiogram.  This part is like an ultrasound of the heart, and it took about 20 min.  Our tech turned on a TV which helped to occupy LO for a while, but she was squirmy and cried through about half of it.  Just make sure your LO is well fed and bring some toys.  Don't worry if she's all over the place -- they're used to it.  Hope all is well.

This.  DD has had quite a few since she's been born (has a VSD) and it gets harder as they get older.  When she was 6 weeks old- slept the entire time.  At a year old- holy hell.  Bring snacks, bottles, toys, other stuff to distract them.  The tech ended up giving DD her (very nice) watch to play with while she did the ultrasound because it kept her occupied.

m/c 9/22/07 at 8w5d...BFP 12/23/07! DD born 9/4/2008, BFP 2/14/13...DS born 10/22/2013 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Didn't see that you were going to the hospital- they may sedate her.  Our cardiologist was telling us that he's the only pediatric cardiologist in the state that does echocardiograms in his office.  Other pedi's send their patients to the children's hospital and they do sedate them there.  Can you call your pedi in the morning to check?
    m/c 9/22/07 at 8w5d...BFP 12/23/07! DD born 9/4/2008, BFP 2/14/13...DS born 10/22/2013 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone.  I will definitely take toys and snacks! 

I may try to call in the morning.  I would have though that if she would be sedated that surely they would have told me to watch how much she was eating or would have told me it had to be done earlier in the day (I requested it be later so I wouldn't have to take off work as early- no paid days left :(  ). 

• Ryan has had several :)

Some helpful tips:

Bring her favorite toy, they will let you and DH be with her. It will help to keep her distracted.Sing songs to her, and  If worse comes to worse, they can give her a little bit of sedation to keep her calm and from moving around. Hope everything gies well. Let us know how it turnes out. If you need anything let me know :)

• Bailey has had 2 done - one at 2 days old and one at 6 months old. You pretty much do everything in your power to keep them still. The nurse let ds play with the non attached electro thingy for a little bit then we watched elmo then we played with his mickey then I got a bottle out for the last part. Take a few special toys and if he takes a paci or bottle took those too.  
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS had one at about that age
    They asked me to bring him in when he was sleepy 
    SO I just fed him right before we walked in & then they had me lay on the table with him & keep him quiet
    She said they like it if the baby falls asleep but I knew that would never happen.

Good Luck
    Summer 2011
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers ~early M/C 4/09 ~ Ectopic 6/09~ BFP 11/09~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"