South Florida Babies

old wives' tales - pregnancy

I've heard quite some old wives' tales so far and I was wondering which ones you've heard, which ones are true, and which ones are just myths.

For example, dying your hair - old wives' tales or true? (I'd like to dye my hair at least once during pregnancy.  All my greys are showing).

I've also heard recently that crossing your legs causes the umbilical cord to wrap around the neck - old wives' tales or true?

Re: old wives' tales - pregnancy

• Dying hair - I think it depends on your OB.  My RE said no to highlights, but to ask my OB.  I don't dye my hair only highlight, and I think it is okay, but obviously double checking before making appt.

Crossing legs - pretty sure that is a myth!

Heartburn = baby w/ a lot of hair - not sure, but thinking myth.

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I agree that crossing your legs causing the umbilical cord to wrap around the baby is a myth!

FWIW, my mom had terrible heartburn when she was pregnant with me and I was born with a LOT of hair. That's all I got, though. ;)

I'm wondering about the one that says a lot of morning sickness = a girl and not very much = a boy. 

• Loading the player...
  • Jackie - she may have said no to highlights b/c of the bleach.  I read somewhere that was definitely a no-no, but I've read mixed opinions on just generally dying hair.   

My AP said the same thing about the heartburn and her baby was born with a lot of hair.

IDK about the m/s.

• The hair dyeing question I'd ask the OB although I'm pretty sure the rule is as long as there is no amonia in the dye you're good.

The legs crossing I've never heard of.

I haven't had a heartburn so I']ve already been told I'm gonna have a baldy baby. :)

and FWIW I had feltgreat during this pregnancy and we're having a boy. That seems to be consistent with most mommies of boys I know bu I do have a few friends that swore I was having a girl when I told them I felt fine because they were terribly sick with their boys.

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • imagemjz:

I'm wondering about the one that says a lot of morning sickness = a girl and not very much = a boy. 

definitely a myth. I think it depends on the person and how their system deals with things. But I had no m/s and had a boy.

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i had highlights done during the 3rd tri-

So stylists will NOT do any coloring or highlights at all during your first trimester.  Een if your ob gives you the ok.  As for highlights, the reason they're "safer" than coloring is because the bleach doesn't touch your skin.  Coloring is ok, but definitely later in your 2nd tri and 3rd.  Don't do anything in your first is what both my stylist and ob said!

• imageMrsJOSEnADRI:

I've heard quite some old wives' tales so far and I was wondering which ones you've heard, which ones are true, and which ones are just myths.

For example, dying your hair - old wives' tales or true? (I'd like to dye my hair at least once during pregnancy.  All my greys are showing).

I've also heard recently that crossing your legs causes the umbilical cord to wrap around the neck - old wives' tales or true?

TOTAL owt.  Same as no stretching or lifting up high for things lol

• imageMrsJOSEnADRI:

• The heartburn is a myth too.  I had really bad heartburn and had a very bald baby.  (even though I think this one holds up for most people I've spoken to)
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes, I've definitely heard not to dye during the first tri.  So, I haven't done anything to my hair yet.  I would like to dye it at least once in June since we have a big party to go to and by then I'll be 20 weeks. 
  • imageMrs.ClariC:
    imagemjz:

definitely a myth. I think it depends on the person and how their system deals with things. But I had no m/s and had a boy.

heh, i heard the reverse!  everyone I've known with no morning sickness (myself included) has had girls; severe m/s, boys. 

• imagebritishbride05:
    imageMrs.ClariC:
    imagemjz:

heh, i heard the reverse!  everyone I've known with no morning sickness (myself included) has had girls; severe m/s, boys. 

Jealous!  I had really really bad sickness until 16 weeks.  I was so thankful when it went away. 

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagebritishbride05:
    [

My mom was telling me this yesterday, not to lift my arms!  LOL All I could do is think she was nuts... I guess you confirmed it.  : )

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Believe it or not there is a correlation between fetal hair growth and heartburn!  John Hopkins released the results of their study a few years ago.
  • I was allowed to highlight after the first trimester.  Highlighting is a little safer than dying your hair because it isn't sitting on your scalp, however, ask your own ob because they all have different opinions on this.

Dont know about the crossing leg thing...but I am sure I did that many times and my daughter had no problems.

As far as lots of hair....heartburn:  I had NO heartburn just threw up the entire pregnancy...and she was born with a full head of hair.

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • I had a boy born with a full head of hair and I did not have m/s and only had heartburn when I ate pizza during the last month of my pregnancy
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagebritishbride05:
    imageMrs.ClariC:
    imagemjz:

LOL!

• The dyeing the hair thing I don't think should be considered an "old wives tale", there are chemicals in hair dye and no one is really sure of the effects it has on your unborn child. I never did anything as far as color during my pregnancy because I didn't want to take the risk . I hear thought that highlights are ok because they do not actually touch your scalp.

Crossing the legs...defiantely an old wives tale.

Heartburn is BS... I had the worst heartburn with Nate that me me not sleep and cry all day. If the old wives tale was true my kid would have looked like Repunzul (what is the name of that princess with the super long hair stuck in the tower?)Even water gave me heartburn and the kid had nothing on his head!

Old wives tale says that horrible m/s means you are having a girl. If it's true, I hope to God I never have a girl, I have had horrid (almost all 9 month ) morning sickness with all three of me boys!

• I had a little morning sickness with my first pregnancy and it was a boy. I had horrible all day sickness with this pregnancy (put on Zofran) and it's another boy.
    Terrible heartbearn with Quinn but only in the 3rd trimester and he had hair at birth. Terrible heartburn with baby #2 starting at 22 weeks so we shall see in August.
    I got my hair highlighted in my 2nd trimester and was told that was just fine.
    I've also heard that girls have faster heartbeats than boys. Not sure if that's true since I've only had boy experience but both my boys have been in the 130-140 range.
    Another one that I've heard is that, with a boy, most women carry all the extra weight in their belly but with a girl they gain it everywhere. I can verify that with both of my pregnancies, I've gained weight all over. I actually think that my butt grows in proportion to my belly.

• They kept telling me the heartburn tale because I got heartburn 3 times while pregnant. Yes, I counted because it was the worst chest and back pain I have ever had I thought I was going to die. This was in my last trimester. He was born with a ton of hair! ;)
  • I had no heartburn w/ my first and my son had a ton of hair.  When he was born with a huge amount of hair, I remember saying, "I didn't even have any heartburn!!"  Definitely old wives' tale!
  • imageFutureHernandez:
    Believe it or not there is a correlation between fetal hair growth and heartburn!  John Hopkins released the results of their study a few years ago.

This! And I read a study where baby girls put out more estrogen then boys, which causes more mornign sickness and acne for mom....totally true for me!

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"